Grainy Blu-ray

stan92

What percentage (%) of movies are still shot with film (grainy blu-rays) ???

I don't think film equals grainy blu-ray.

Film is just an alternate way to capture the image.

Whether you prefer one to the other is subjective though.

And I don't know the % sorry

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

The grain I think you're describing is from when the film is captured in raw digital format. It's an expensive film process as it writes much higher bitrate files to storage mediums and thus uses much more space than lossy codecs like AVCHD, however it's used as it can be pushed around much further in post production. Leaving a bit of the grain (noise) in the image adds a cinematic aesthetic, and this look can be imitated by adding gaussian noise in post. The addition of noise can also make the captured image look a little sharper or in focus. Also, it has nothing to do with the fact that you're viewing it via blu ray.

Very few are shot predominantly on film these days, Argo and the recent Batman movies are a few that come to mind not sure if there are many others recently, it requires a massive budget.

Lot's of other movies will shoot certain scenes on film, but are mostly digital and will add grain in post processing to blend the footage.

TV series like Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead are shot solely on film, 35mm/16mm respectively. Breaking Bad "reportedly costs $3 million per episode to produce" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breaking_Bad so it's not really a viable option for everybody.

Sorry again no percentages as its very hard to calculate as a lot of movies will use a mixture of digital and film.

@stan92

Are these blu-rays grainy on different blu-ray players? I always thought it was the was the blu-ray player displayed the image. If you are on a PC you can chnage the video settings in the player to have less noise and change the sharpness. it might be like I said the player or the TV that is causing this. If you can try the same disc in a different player and display that would be good and see if the grain effect is still there.

And depending on the movie it might just have that as an effect. I know Halloween, by rob zombie, some scenes have a bit of a grain effect and it's kind of annoying.

It should be a sharp crisp image without much noise because of the size and bitrate of the blu-ray disc. Movies that were filmed pre blu-ray have been upscale are played back at around 20mbps give or take a little. While movies filmed after and with better camera have a bit-rate of anywhere from 30-45mbps, usually I see it at around 35+. So with that high of bitrate it shouldn't be from compression.

I might be wrong that it's not because of film but I didn't think it was. The new star wars movie is being produced on film for some reason also.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

film is very expensive, your better off getting a good digital 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point