This sales chart predicts doom for Sony and Nintendo

TopWargamer

http://kotaku.com/yikes-sales-chart-predicts-gaming-doom-for-sony-and-ni-1279441081?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

ku-bigpic.png

The chart is one of a batch crafted by Asymco researcher and former Nokia analyst Horace Dediu, who, sadly, calls this study Game Over. You should read the whole thing and stare sorrowfully at all of his charts. I mean, it was one thing to think that Nintendo might be in trouble... but Sony, too? And he's saying that the only reason Microsoft isn't in here is because they don't report sales with this level of specificity?

. . .

Bright spot! —> He doesn't have numbers in here for the end of 2013, mostly because the end of 2013 hasn't happened yet and he's no soothsayer. Sales tend to be way bigger in the final few months of the year, so the slopes on these charts probably won't be that bad once the holiday sales are counted. I mean, we're about to see a 3DS surge just from the first real Pokémon games coming out on the system next month, right? That dark blue line's going to get thicker, yeah?P

Dediu's deeming that it's not just the previous generation that has fizzled out but that, as his other charts show, the Wii U, 3DS, 3DS XL and Vita are all not doing as hot as their predecessors. He's not too hopeful that the PS4 and Xbox One will do better, either.

Huh, well, I guess the only thing we can do now is wait. 

COMIC SANS

Waiting.jpg

Wouldn't this graph supplied with OP only be logical since the people that would buy a PS3 already have a PS3 since it's been so long? MS show the same trend as Nintendo and Sony in relation to console sales, because nobody buys them on account of anyone interested already having one. What is more, I don't think Xbone and PS4 are factored into this, so even less people would buy a 360 or a PS3.

This is like how in America during the 30's we thought people would keep buying more cars when they have cars.

Additionally, no handheld system has been as hyped or successful after the original 1k series PSP, due mostly to the smartphone market crowding out pretty much everything else mobile and portable.

Error: 410

PC Gaming FTW! 

I do still like Nintendo DS, they make POKEMON GAMES FTW!!!!!

EDIT: FTW!

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

I totally don't care about Nintendo, the only thing decent they can make is mario games.

I'm curious to see how this canges when the new PS4 hits the market.

CPU:

Intel Core i5 2500k - Motherboard: Asus maximus iv gene-z - RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance Blue 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - GPU: ASUS GTX 770 DirectCU II
Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5 II - Storage: Crucial M4 128GB, Seagate barracuda 3TB PSU: XFX 650W XXX Edition Modular PSU - Keyboard: Ducky Shine 2 Pro
Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 - Sound: Razer Characias

I would like to see a similar graph depicting Microsoft and Sony post release of Next-Gen consoles. Probably 2 years after.

Back from the dead....

This just in, sales of 8 year old consoles are lower than when the console was launched. Shocking revelations there.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

This is ridiculously stupid. You mean to tell me that sales of consoles spikes in the years following their launch date, and then tails off near the end of the console cycle. I am shocked SHOCKED to find that demand for a system that everyone already owns isn't selling well. I mean, why aren't they buying one for their bedroom, or one to take to a friends house? 

Come on.

Not sure what Nintendo can do to "recover" as a company but Sony could completely drop out of the console race and still be a perfectly viable ~$140 billion multi-national corporation.

Yeah this graph surprised no-one-ever. The consoles are OLD, most people already have one. And the graph stops before the next-gen launch. Right after that graph ends, when it reaches november, is gonna skyrocket back up (how high? We'll see).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Well, at least people can still write shocking headlines. I don't think this story has any meat behind it.

Lol, I'll believe nintendo and sony going under when it actually happens. Just wait till q4, and take a look at the charts for next gen consoles. Might not be a console gamer myself, but considering console gaming makes makes up the majority of gamers, I don't think any of'em will be going under anytime soon. At least until the steam box comes out, hopefully that'll turn a few more heads towards PC gaming.