EDIT ANYWHERE! Setting up Wake on LAN and Using BitTorrent Sync

PART I: Introduction and Setting up BitTorrent Sync:
BitTorrent Sync is a device-to-device data synchronization program that utilizes the torrent network (peer-to-peer) to allow the user to securely sync and share files of any size quickly and securely.
Layman’s terms: You can make two folders copy each other on a computer or phone. Files will transfer/copy VERY fast and it is very secure. There is no limit on file size, only your own storage.
For many reasons, this program is a break through.
  1. It’s free. (There is a pro version that allows you advanced sharing permissions, but you wont need it for personal use).
  2. There is no limit on file size.
  3. Transfer speeds are very fast. How? Small parts of the whole file are shared across lots of computers that are then downloaded and recombined into the file on the target device. Also, because the file is split up in transit, that makes it practically impossible to track.
This is AWESOME for video editing teams. For my own use though, I will be setting up my laptop to mirror the files on my desktop. Then I will setup a functionality called “Wake on LAN” which allows me to turn on my pc (main storage) from anywhere. I need the Wake on LAN (WoL) so that if I record or edit something on my laptop, I can start up BitTorrent Sync on both machines (even if I don’t have access to my desktop) and push the changes from my laptop to my pc. Another advantage to this setup is that it allows me to backup files as soon as I capture. Open up my laptop, insert SD card, wake my desktop and open sync, and boom.
Note: Before syncing can begin, the time must be the same on each computer. I found that using automatic time failed because it only synchronizes every week or so. You can work around this by manually setting the time. I manually set the time on the computer I use less.
  1. Download and install BitTorrent Sync. Make a username and start the program. https://www.getsync.com/
  2. On the device the files are already on, click the add button in the top left of Sync and add the folder whose files you want to share. Copy the link and email it to yourself. Set the permission to read and write in this case.
  3. On the device you want to sync the files to, open the link and designate where you want to save the files.
Think of adding a folder on sync on the machine the files are on like sending a message TO somewhere, and accepting a link like RECEIVING files. Read only allows another sync user (or yourself) only to be able to view the contents of the folder, but not to delete or add anything.
So that’s my quick overview of how to use BitTorrent Sync. For small school files (like Word docs, etc.) I recommend sticking to a cloud service because the files are small enough and the cloud services are far more forgiving to the users error.

PART II: Setting up Wake on LAN (EASY - but requires port forwarding): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG6...
  1. Go into BIOS and turn on ‘Power on by PCIE’ or Power on by PME’. Save and restart.
  2. Go to the Device Manager in Windows and find network adapters. Right click on it and go to power management. Make sure ‘Allow this device to wake the computer’ and ‘Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer’ are checked.
  3. Access the command prompt and type ‘ipconfig /all’. Write down your MAC Address and Local IPV4 IP Address. Search either 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 to access your router. Login and add a forwarding rule to your IP through port 9.
  4. Download a Wake on LAN app and add your device by MAC/IP address.
  5. Turn off your computer and test it out! **This does not work when you are not connected to your own network. I will let you know if I find a fix... It could be possible if you use a hosting address like one from No-IP. The feature you really need it Wake on WAN, but so many articles that MIGHT be able it are lumped into WoL making it more difficult to learn about...
I used this app which automatically detected my computer on my network and grabbed the info without needing me to type anything in. https://play.google.com/store/apps/...

-Matt

• 2 months later...