Pridak - Buildlog

N3rot0xin

So its finally happened. I not only upgraded but i switched teams entirely. I used to be AMD, but they just couldn't keep up and i was sick of *almost good enough*. So I now fly the colors of blue and green, metaphorically speaking. As you'll see below my theme was a bit different. First some overview and specs of the machine, as well as the general direction i wanted to go with this rig. 

THE VISION  

For a very long time, since before i built my first computer, ive wanted to build a beautiful computer. Themed and matching from top to bottom. I tried with my old computer, going for a blue/black theme. It worked at first, i even painted parts of the case as well as one of my fans to match. It looked good, and i was satisfied with that for a while. But then i had to change parts and the theme went to crap. Since that time i've had this vision in my head of the next PC. Never been anything more then a mental image. I never mocked it up in photoshop or played around with other colors/themes, i just knew what i wanted and i was not unsure in anyway. I had to sit on the vision  for a while, as financially i could not afford such a thing. That changed with a new job. And thats where this build log begins. 

THE THEME

The colors i've picked I have actually been in love with for some time. What really triggered me on the color scheme were the LEGO Bionicle sets. Specifically, the Krika and then later Pridak. Both of these sets featured the white/black/red color pattern and i thought it looked beautiful. Over the years I kept seeing it (rarely, surprisingly its not that common). I know a lot people would associate Umbrella corp with the pattern, and thats where i drew some inspiration from as well. Inside the corp, White is the primary color. black is there as well. And then red (usually from blood) is a clean and crisp contrast. Thats how I wanted build of mine to be. Be really Clean with splashes of color. 

THE MACHINE

Ok enough philosophy for the day. Down and dirty. This was a completely new build not an upgrade. The only way i would get away from the disappointment of AMD is not use them. 

Intel Skylake Core i7-6700k 

Gigabyte GA-z170x Gaming 7

G.SKILL DDR4 Ripjaws 8gb (2x4)

MSI GTX 980

EVGA NEX650 Powersupply

Lepa AquaChanger 240 CPU cooler

THE BUILD

Right off the bat, i wanted to sleeve my own power supply cables. A lot of people said "just buy them presleeved, way easier". Yes, it would've been easier. But then i couldn't appreciate it nearly as much when it was done. So bought the stuff to do it myself and i did. 

Quick tips on sleeving

Its not super difficult. But it can be tedious and frustrating without the right stuff. For a guide on the actual sleeving, i used Lutr0 's video on the matter. (Lutr0 Customs Paracord Sleeving).

In this case i chose to use Paracord 550, which imo looks the best for what i was going for. If you have never sleeved before, i would first recommend getting some non-psu wiring (like go to the hardware store and get a small roll) and test out different methods to get a feel for it. 

Always measure. Always. What i did was got a measuring tape, and with tape i marked on the table how long certain things should be(sleeve and heatshrink). Then I would always cut to the tape lines rather than remeasuring every time. It went so much faster. The only thing i would've changed was maybe use precut heatshrink, but thats up to you. i ended up with 50 feet of bulk heat shrink as a result of this.. so, who needs some? (lol.. im kinda kidding.. kinda).  

Get a sleeving tool kit. I dont care what people say you can use instead. Get a tool kit if you plan on doing more then 2 wires. So much easier and way quicker. The one i used was the Phobya Extractor Kit. (My ATX pin tool actually broke, but thats because i was rushing and bent the extractor pins to far and they snapped off. This wont happen to you in normal use.). 

For heatshrink save yourself from burning wires/sleeving/heatshrink/yourself and get a heatgun. I got a really good deal on one locally, picked one up for $9.99 (was normally 39.99) and it was literally like magic. I would go as far as to say you should not attempt to sleeve without one.

Get a Multimeter. This is the most important tool you can have. If you only get one tool, make it this one. Anytime you de-pin an entire connection (like the 24 pin or 8pin gpus) you run the risk of crossing wires. This is especially possible if the wires are all black ( like a lot of manufacturers are doing these days) and sleeved. Using a multimeter, you can test each pin to make sure its still matches the pin-out diagram of your PSU for that connector. What I did was i sleeved the 2 wires needed to power on the PSU (any ground and the wire corresponding to "PSU_ON" or similar first so i could always test by jumpering and i would always know that connection was correct no matter what. I actually had 3, THREE, wires crossed that i would have otherwise never found without a miltimeter until my computer was on fire. So, get one. 

THE PICTURES

I dont have a lot of pictures of the process, had to reset my phone between starting the sleeveing and now. I actually got the PSU/sleeving supplies around christmas knowing it would take a while to do. Glad i did that. Because it did. So i only have a couple. Sorrrryyyy

Spoiler

a.thumb.jpg.7156f3f133f7ef21337fdaa992d3b.thumb.jpg.fbc94678c35197958dd8bf85cbdd

c.thumb.jpg.f5a431452f5eda2aaabe8f9ae2ce

I am whatever I am. 

As you can see, i went a little short on the sleeving. This is because A: I'm new at this and B: This end would be the PSU end so it didn't need to be anything special. Sadly, i do not have *any* pictures of me sleeving the dual 8pins for my GPU. I did that in under 4 hours because they werent done the day i ordered my parts. So I sped-sleeved them. I honestly didn't get a lot of pictures of anything. I took some at the start but then i was like "focus on building. Just do it". 

Spoiler

The Pile

IMAG0432.thumb.jpg.c2ff61757d5ad8d08ded4

Failed fancy shot #1

IMAG0435.thumb.jpg.6e4423b43ff019870b0d3

Failed fancy overview #2

IMAG0438.thumb.jpg.403613d20a51fc40a6e44

At this point I was just looking at it, visualizing the concept up to this point, and realizing i was building a dream. 

IMAG0440.thumb.jpg.95eca4cb0461748230153

At this stage I stared more at it, thinking what else i could do in the future to make this pop more. 

IMAG0442.thumb.jpg.b22182e36d6c0c52abebd

After all of that, I had one more beast to wrestle... 

Spoiler

CABLE MANAGEMENT

I REALLY needed that redbull to get thru this part. I'm super anal about cable management. And I cant just zip-tie things to loopholes and close a side panel. It has look acceptable on the backside or i'm not happy. So i downed half of that can and went to work: 

The part where i question life

IMAG0444.thumb.jpg.3682bc909c3d89e0582d5

Where i realized I'm not so terrible at this and feeling pretty clever:

IMAG0445.thumb.jpg.8ea8240e5f716bb09bbd9

Holy shit its done!! No super hard cable breaking bends, makes sense, the cables i may need to change or move are not tied to every other cable. 

IMAG0446.thumb.jpg.767032bb6aea6c50c8226

PART C below.. 

I am whatever I am. 

THE FINISHED LADY

Before i post any pictures, I want to wrap this up with a few million pixels worth of words. I was building this pc, from ordering parts to sleeving, I had this vision in my head of exactly what i wanted it to look like. Everything I did, every part i picked, was done so to flow into every other part seamlessly. Some questions i will probably get asked:

Q: Did you cut corners or skimp to achieve this theme?

A: Not even a little. I actually paid MORE for this board then some other options i was considering. The case has been one of my favorites since its release but until now i had no reason to own it. Now i do. The cooler was actually the second thing i picked out, even before the CPU. The cooler would be the most difficult to match so if i couldnt' find one to match *this* build, i would have to make a change pretty early on. 

Q: Do you plan to do anything else to the case, either inside or out?

A: Honestly, at this point i dont know. I thought about painting the interior white bracket red, but after seeing it in there i like it white and red would be too much of red seeing how much there is everywhere else. I want to do something with a side panel but i'm not sure yet. The white is stunningly good to look at so i may just leave it. My *only* complaint is that the top of the case is black but thats not a big deal. 

Q: Case lighting?

A: Already in the works. NZXT Hue+. There weren't any available when i was ordering. 

FIN

Spoiler

Post Redbull fueled cable management session.. holy shit this looks soooo good. 

IMAG0447.thumb.jpg.687b5cde9574f762f794f

Some boot-test closeups:

IMAG0455.thumb.jpg.306f4ca281ce21e4af946IMAG0456.thumb.jpg.3749e77f3da9156d04e42

...these were kinda bad.. sorrryyyy

Overly white balanced panel shots:

IMAG0452.thumb.jpg.86ab2c1733f4b2d987892IMAG0454.thumb.jpg.3ed77203377027b4ac151IMAG0453.thumb.jpg.f03099b965c003c324724

And then just one last naked shot: 

IMAG0457.thumb.jpg.6258fefe5f556b9c45182

FINAL THOUGHTS

All in all, this was a pretty fun build. I enjoyed every part of it, and I'm so glad i did the sleeving myself. I can really appreciate the build that much more now. Only thing i would do better is the cables. I wanted to stitch them but honestly ran out of time. I may get cable-combs or something for the GPU but the 24-pin is gunna stay like that. a cable comb may put too much stress on the cables, not sure.  Definitely proud of this build, will enjoy this for a very long time. 

Thanks for tagging along this far into my oddly deep and philosophical post, that boils down "i like computers. I like red/white black. i want to combine them. heres pictures". I wanna hear your thoghts! 

I am whatever I am. 

Looks really good!  Sleeving the cables myself is something I'm hellbent on as well for my next build.. whenever it finally happens.

my work in progress

i5 6600k  //  16gb g.skill ddr4 3000  //  evga gtx 980

custom water loop

6 minutes ago, givegomezthegun said:

Looks really good!  Sleeving the cables myself is something I'm hellbent on as well for my next build.. whenever it finally happens.

As was I. It's an experience. A couple notes when you do it:

Dont pull the wires near clothing. The little tiny pins that actually hold the wire in place (the pins you're depressing with your tool) can get caught on the fabric and, when you yank them out (because it does take come force even with a tool) they can bend backwards/break off even. 

Dont let your fingers hang over the edges when your holding the connector(the plastic bit). if you so, you'll loose skin/have cuts in prefect little 11s' on your fingertips. The crimp-on connectors have sharp edges that, when greeted with skin, dont care. 

Don't use *too* much force. If you have to use excessive force to remove a wire, stop. Pull the tool out and try again. 

Sometimes the ends of the wires can 'sink' into the connectors. Keep an eye out for this when sleeving.

These are things that nobody even mentions when sleeving but I feel are really, really important to do the job painfree. 

I am whatever I am. 

man i wish i had the patients to sleeve my own cables. goods specs and the build looks awesome 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

3 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

man i wish i had the patients to sleeve my own cables. goods specs and the build looks awesome 

Half way thru sleeving i was contemplating just buying extensions. It does take lot of patience to do. But if you find a process that works good, weather  you depin all the wires at once and sleeve them all at once or do 1 at a time, its not nearly as bad. But no problem is a problem some Pandora can't fix! :D

I am whatever I am. 

2 minutes ago, N3rot0xin said:

Half way thru sleeving i was contemplating just buying extensions. It does take lot of patience to do. But if you find a process that works good, weather  you depin all the wires at once and sleeve them all at once or do 1 at a time, its not nearly as bad. But no problem is a problem some Pandora can't fix! :D

ya luckily in the modding group im in I dont have to do the sleeves or backplates i just do the actual assembly and water cooling i would just screw up anything that has to do with graphic design and sleeving :D

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

Any tips for getting the core out of the para cord while sleeving? Ive got about a hundred feet of the stuff for my next build.... And even that probably wont be enough....

Looks Bad Ass and I love it!

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

8 hours ago, 8uhbbhu8 said:

Any tips for getting the core out of the para cord while sleeving? Ive got about a hundred feet of the stuff for my next build.... And even that probably wont be enough....

Looks Bad Ass and I love it!

Well first you're gunna want to get either some really sharp scissors or, what i used, were a pair of flush cutters. picked them up for a few bucks at the hardware store. If you look in the very first picture, those red handled things are what i used. Measure out how much you need+ just a little extra (half an inch or an inch at most). Make a clean cut with your cutters, what ever you choose. Then you can just grab the inner core and give it a pull and it comes right out. I had a couple hundred feet of the core, i used 550 paracord and it had 3 or four strands as a core. Check out this video i made demonstrating this. Quality is less then good, camera has no auto focus..

edit: did not know the video would have to be downloaded first. Can't have that. i'll youtube it. 

I am whatever I am.