WORTH TO UPGRADE FROM FX 6300 TO 4690K?

wadzftw
Go to solution Solved by Majestic,
10 minutes ago, wadzftw said:

what happened was the socket cover slipped out of my hands :(

SrUOhOH.gif

Hi, about 1 and a half weeks ago, I bought a 4460 with a Z97 PC Mate, however I decided to return both of them the next day because of some reasons I shall not bore you with. However, upon uninstalling my CPU from the motherboard and putting back the socket cover I bent 20 pins. MSI agreed to send me a new one for the cost of 45, however I cannot return it for a refund. I will be saving until the summer for a new haswell CPU, and would the 4690k be enough for my r9 290 if I decide to buy a 144 Hz for high refresh rate gaming, or should i save for an i7 haswell CPU, thank you so much.

4690k is already more than enough ;)

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD

1 minute ago, wadzftw said:

Hi, about 1 and a half weeks ago, I bought a 4460 with a Z97 PC Mate, however I decided to return both of them the next day because of some reasons I shall not bore you with. However, upon uninstalling my CPU from the motherboard and putting back the socket cover I bent 20 pins. MSI agreed to send me a new one for the cost of 45, however I cannot return it for a refund. I will be saving until the summer for a new haswell CPU, and would the 4690k be enough for my r9 290 if I decide to buy a 144 Hz for high refresh rate gaming, or should i save for an i7 haswell CPU, thank you so much.

Little difference between i5 and i7 for gaming. If you're playing games like CSGO then you would be able to run it at 144hz. 

2 minutes ago, wadzftw said:

i5 would be more then enough for a 290, if your rendering and editing then i7, if gaming i5

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do 

and a car thread ! 

i5 does really well on any task that you throw at it.

If you really want to have good multitasking and wish to do lots of content creation, go with an i7.

LIBERATOR: Core i5 6400 @ 2.7GHz | GeForce GTX 670 2 GB | HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz | 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
My new build; Liberator, Check it out

The more friendly we are, the more helpful we are!

MY OLD BUILD (AKA PREBUILT MONSTROSITY)
INSANITY: AMD Athlon II X2 @ 3.0 GHz | Geforce GT 720 2 GB | 4 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz | 120 GB Silicon Power SSD | 500 GB Hitachi HDD

You might as well wait for AMD's new Zen micro architecture, but if it can't wait, I have been very pleased with my i5-4690k and have not experienced bottlenecks. Although, It is unlikely the 290 will be able to run most games at 144hz, unless you play exclusively mobas or fps's.

Since you have an R9 290 and a Z97 board already, it's definitely worth it or those expenses are going to be wasted.

That being said, you need to be way more careful. I can't believe you managed to bend 20 pins. CPU installs on LGA is so easy since you just drop it in. It really surprises me you managed to fuck it up.

FX 6300 to i5 = good upgrade, yes.

My ~$200 USD build:

AMD A8-7600    G. Skill Ripjaws Z @1800 CAS 8     EVGA 500w 80+ PSU    Gigabyte GAF2A68HM-DS2H Motherboard

4 minutes ago, Lotus said:

Since you have an R9 290 and a Z97 board already, it's definitely worth it or those expenses are going to be wasted.

That being said, you need to be way more careful. I can't believe you managed to bend 20 pins. CPU installs on LGA is so easy since you just drop it in. It really surprises me you managed to fuck it up.

7 minutes ago, wadzftw said:

I wouldn't think that would be heavy enough to bend them! 

See my Build here!

Intel 6700k -  Strix GTX 1080Ti - Corsair AX760 - Corsair Dominator 16GB 3000MHz - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero

Seagate Barracuda 1TB -  Samsung 120GB 840 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - Corsair H100i - Corsair Air 540 White -

Corsair AF120 - 2x Noctua NF-F12 - 3 x Noctua NF-S12

Dell S2417DG - Dell UH2515H