Is my PC old or do I need to upgrade?

GetYouBarbara

Greetings everyone. Just registered here but I have been following and watching Linus's youtube quite a bit last few weeks altho I was subscribed to his channel many years ago.

I recently got some extra money and I thought to myself that I should make myself a gift. So I went out and bought a Dell monitor with g-sync (the S2716DG) to be honest with you I haven't really seen much difference when it comes to the g-sync aspect altho I must say games look better now (i used to have a samsung monitor 22'' playing at 1980x1080 resolution). With the new monitor I noticed that some games such as Star Citizen are unplayable at the 1440p resolution. So now im thinking if I should upgrade my whole PC or if I should just upgrade my GPU to a 980Ti. What do you guys think?

Take note I will have to wait some months before buying the GPU since I dont really have alot of extra cash right now. The obvious answer could be upgrade whole PC but im kinda short on money and in a tight budget right now after spending 700e on the monitor. Question is, the i5@2500K how much time more does it have before it needs an upgrade, and my Ram is ddr3 if im not mistaken, how big of a difference is ddr4, and my motherboard is a 60e one that i dont even think it supports the new RAMs so i would have to upgrade motherboard as well. my PC case is pretty good, I also got a good PSU. and my peripherals are pretty good, especially my gsync monitor.

Here is my rig:

System

• CPUi5@2500K
  • MotherboardGigabyte H61M-S2PV
  • RAM8GB Corsair Vengeance 1066MHz
  • GPUGeForce GTX 680
  • CaseCooler Master StormTrooper
  • StorageSSD Samsung 256GB
  • PSU700W
  • Display(s)Dell S2716DG
  • KeyboardCMStorm QuickFire TK
  • MouseRazer DeathAdder
  • SoundLogitech G35
  • Operating System

The only thing I would bother upgrading is the GPU, the 2500k doesn't really create a bottleneck yet. There is basically no difference between DDR3 and DDR4 for gaming

8 minutes ago, GetYouBarbara said:

Greetings everyone. Just registered here but I have been following and watching Linus's youtube quite a bit last few weeks altho I was subscribed to his channel many years ago.

I recently got some extra money and I thought to myself that I should make myself a gift. So I went out and bought a Dell monitor with g-sync (the S2716DG) to be honest with you I haven't really seen much difference when it comes to the g-sync aspect altho I must say games look better now (i used to have a samsung monitor 22'' playing at 1980x1080 resolution). With the new monitor I noticed that some games such as Star Citizen are unplayable at the 1440p resolution. So now im thinking if I should upgrade my whole PC or if I should just upgrade my GPU to a 980Ti. What do you guys think?

Take note I will have to wait some months before buying the GPU since I dont really have alot of extra cash right now. The obvious answer could be upgrade whole PC but im kinda short on money and in a tight budget right now after spending 700e on the monitor. Question is, the i5@2500K how much time more does it have before it needs an upgrade, and my Ram is ddr3 if im not mistaken, how big of a difference is ddr4, and my motherboard is a 60e one that i dont even think it supports the new RAMs so i would have to upgrade motherboard as well. my PC case is pretty good, I also got a good PSU. and my peripherals are pretty good, especially my gsync monitor.

Here is my rig:

System

• CPUi5@2500K
  • GPUGeForce GTX 680
  • PSU700W
  • Display(s)Dell S2716DG
  • MouseRazer DeathAdder
  • SoundLogitech G35
  • Operating System

You will likely be CPU bound after upgrading to a 980ti, however, that doesn't mean it wont help your performance. If the question is get a new GPU or get a new GPU and computer, then it would make sense to:

1) buy the new GPU and see if the new performance is acceptable / desirable.

2) if not, then continue with the remainder of your upgrade.

Likely it will help for those games that are mostly GPU based, and help less with CPU intensive games.

|[ i7 6700k ][ MSI z170a XPower Gaming Titanium MB ][ 16gig G.Skill Trident Z 3000mhz ][ Gigabyte Xtreme GTX 980ti ][ Samsung Evo & Intel SSDs ][ Corsair 540 air ][ XFX Pro 750w Platinum ][ 24" Asus 144hz ]|

10 minutes ago, GetYouBarbara said:

Here is my rig:

System

• CPUi5@2500K
  • GPUGeForce GTX 680
  • PSU700W
  • Display(s)Dell S2716DG
  • MouseRazer DeathAdder
  • SoundLogitech G35
  • Operating System

PS, In the meantime, you can also try to turn down your refresh rate to 60hz for the 1440p games that are having trouble, which will likely greatly increase performance at an acceptable quality tradeoff. 

Also, yes you would need a new MB to use DDR4, and no, it is probably not going to be that noticeable.

|[ i7 6700k ][ MSI z170a XPower Gaming Titanium MB ][ 16gig G.Skill Trident Z 3000mhz ][ Gigabyte Xtreme GTX 980ti ][ Samsung Evo & Intel SSDs ][ Corsair 540 air ][ XFX Pro 750w Platinum ][ 24" Asus 144hz ]|

It is a little old but it should still run most things pretty well.  I don't think you need an upgrade at this point.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

What do you guys think of this crappy motherboard someone years ago convinced to get? are motherboards really important on the perfomance in gaming? 

Thanx for the answers as well, pretty straight forward I guess. I ll have to get the 980Ti and see how that goes. I think I will see a huge difference and finally notice the difference of the g-sync thing. (do I have to run games at 60fps to really see the g-sync effect or 30+ will do as well?) also Ive been testing if my gsync works by pressing the menu on my dell monitor and it shows me at what resolution and says gsync enabled, i hope thats accurate info.

I do not think that a "high end " mobo will improve any performance when it comes to gaming.

Most high end mobos come with a lot of "functions" that you are not gonna find it that useful anyway.

I assume that they just use better component in high end motherboard. 

When it comes to gaming performance it is all about GPU and sometimes CPU as well.

More Ram gives you no harm though, most ppl are using 8GB-16GB of Ram and it works well for them. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

System still looks fine, no need to upgrade. The H61 is preventing that 2500K from being overclocked, but getting a Z67 board just for that is pointless. So again, no need to upgrade.

Edit:

Just noticed, your case has front USB 3, but your board does not have those front internal usb 3 headers.

This will let you hook up those front usb 3.

http://www.amazon.com/Anker%C2%AE-Uspeed-Express-20-pin-Connector/dp/B007SJGGAE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1455391091&sr=8-1&keywords=pcie+x1+usb+3+card

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

2 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

System still looks fine, no need to upgrade. The H61 is preventing that 2500K from being overclocked, but getting a Z67 board just for that is pointless. So again, no need to upgrade.

Edit:

Just noticed, your case has front USB 3, but your board does not have those front internal usb 3 headers.

This will let you hook up those front usb 3.

http://www.amazon.com/Anker%C2%AE-Uspeed-Express-20-pin-Connector/dp/B007SJGGAE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1455391091&sr=8-1&keywords=pcie+x1+usb+3+card

Why would I need the USB 3.0 if its only for better speed in file transfers? That wouldnt help me at all maximizing my fps in gaming.... right? or am i missing something?

ps: best upgrade i done and seen a huge improvement in my PC was the SSD drive. (ofc in gaming it was the GPU).

25 minutes ago, GetYouBarbara said:

Why would I need the USB 3.0 if its only for better speed in file transfers? That wouldnt help me at all maximizing my fps in gaming.... right? or am i missing something?

ps: best upgrade i done and seen a huge improvement in my PC was the SSD drive. (ofc in gaming it was the GPU).

Not every upgrade applies to gaming.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

• 2 weeks later...

I got myself my new GTX 980Ti and my benchmark score shows that it can be improved by around 3k points. (saw some people on youtube hitting 15k+). so im wondering now if i should also upgrade the rest of my PC. im torn apart between intel's high price cpu's vs amd's. i found a skylake i7 costing around 400e while the AMD FX 9590 is half the price. I havent taken the time to see whats going on with CPUs altho i would recommend intel to someone but seeing as im kinda short on money atm AMD seems like a good solution. the mobo's i found go for just 50-80 euro even if i go with intel or amd and ddr4 ram is just another 60-80 euro. btw i think i might have made a mistake getting the gtx 980ti coz i heard there are going to be some new GPUs coming soon (pascal). oh well....

Untitled.jpg

• 5 months later...

Hey guys it is me again. After some time playing alot of arma2 on 1440p I think Im quite certain that my CPU bottlenecks my system. I haven't tried OC'ing my CPU yet to 4.5GHz or anything like that because I am having so many problems about accessing my mobo's BIOS. anyways, recently I sold a bike and have the money to upgrade to something better and why the hell not to. I have done some research on my own and I can't decide between the i7 5820K which is 2011-v3 socket or the 6700K which is 1150. Ive read somewhere on the internet that the new intel processors that are to release will use the 2011-v3 sockets so that would be an advantage to be able to keep my motherboard. Basically what I want to achieve is a system capable of playing games at 1440p (not interested in 4K) in a respectfull fps 60+. Currently with my i5 since arma2 is cpu intensive when im idle i get around 30-40 fps and when im moving around 25-30fps which isnt good. Please note I play on a server that allows you to change view distances and this affects the fps by ALOT, im currently playing at 2k view distance and the goal is to be able to play at 3k distance smoothly. My budget is around 650$. and the 5820K setup I was thinking of with 16GB of 3000MHz will cost around there. Also really really important question, which motherboard should I buy?? In the past I had a teacher that in order to sell me a cheap motherboard (the one I have one which I regretted because it doesnt support high clock speeds in memory and have problems with the BIOS) convinced me that I dont need an expensive motherboard as long as it can support the things I wanna put in, on the other hand a guy who is a tech guy at work told me that one of the most important parts of a computer is the motherboard and that I should get an expensive one. Im into PC gaming for many years and the only thing I dont have an opinion on is the motherboard thing. I mean I already have spent alot on a good PC tower because I know how air flow and space inside it are important and I always try to get PC parts that will last me for at least 5 years+-. The i5 2500K was a great choice back when I was searching so now the time has come to find a good replacement. hehe.

Thanx for reading and hoping to hear suggestions. I would also be open to AMD builds which are alot cheaper but I haven't heard lot of positive comments around the internet. plus the mobos of the AM3+ sockets doesnt support DDR4 Ram. 

Also, I was suggested the i5 6600K as well. but im interested in future proof system so I dunno if thats gonna be a future proof solution.... and ive also looked at 4670K but not sure on it either. im so confused.

Ok, I did some more research and I think the 6700K is the processor I wanna go for. What mobo should I go with and ram? I ve seen a video that clock speeds on RAM affects alot fps on games so im thinking 3000MHz would be good and also 16GB of em. Is the socket that the 6700K using a future proof one? will it last me 5 years or so ?