Best Keypad? - Orbweaver, Nostromo etc...

jscho

Hey guys, I'm looking into getting a keypad, I need a quicker way to activate macros in my games and stuff.  :lol: 

I'm really interested in the Orbweaver - Mechanical, backlit green (like my keyboard and mouse) and plenty of keys

BUT I worried the MX Blues will be too loud, so there's the Stealth Edition with MX Browns, but the issue is, is that my local online PC part joint, PC Case Gear, has the Orbweaver w/ Blues for $125AUD, and they don't stock the Stealth which has MX Browns. The only place that stocks the Orbweaver w/ Browns is Razer's site. And they cost $200AUD... Both editions cost $200... <_< 

I really don't wanna spend 200 bucks for MX Browns. I don't want to buy the MX Blue edition and my family complain it's too loud  :(

Any suggestions?

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

Buy the one with blue switches and buy brown switches to replace the blue switches.

i5 4670k | Sapphire 7950 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB | G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 8GB

PB238Q | Steelseries Sensei | Ducky DK9087 | Qck Heavy

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/44902-from-imac-to-my-own-creation/

Just get a keyboard

I have a keyboard... And it's not good enough for what I want. I want a little unit I have macros binded to whilst still being able to type on my keyboard.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

Buy the one with blue switches and buy brown switches to replace the blue switches.

You can do that?!?! :o Since when! Hahaha

You can do that?!?! :o Since when! Hahaha

I think it's possible. Look into it more for me haha

i5 4670k | Sapphire 7950 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB | G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 8GB

PB238Q | Steelseries Sensei | Ducky DK9087 | Qck Heavy

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/44902-from-imac-to-my-own-creation/

I think it's possible. Look into it more for me haha

Just did, I don't think you can. The switches are part of the board... I think I might just buy the blues and get some o-rings so silence them a bit. Because I've heard MX Browns, and they're fine for me, just how the loud the MX Blues might be worries me.

nostromo user since 2006 - 2007

I can't even comprehend doing mmo's without it anymore. thinking about twisting and contorting my hand to do shift and cntrl and dpsing or tanking.... ugh no... no ... plz no it hurts to think about it. 

the old nostromo, my most trusted of in game sidekick, is showing its age. the keycaps are worn  but everything else is still as solid as the first day I bought it except for 2 of the rubberised feet that I had to reglue 

I might think about getting something newer if my guild gets into wildstar. till then my beat up nostromo will be with me for another year or 2

You can desolder the switches and solder browns on

I'm not that good with soldering haha!  ^_^ I've only ever done microphone cables.

What about the Razer Tartarus? 

Maybe...  ;)

I had a nostromo n52, if died in about 4-5 months. That was before razer took over though.

Have had an LG13 for a few years now without problems. The LG13 is nice but I wouldn't recommend it after having it for a few years now. It works fine and all but there are just too many buttons... I use maybe 3/5's of them.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

why on earth would you not recommend a product because it has too many buttons?

If I were to invest into another keypad, it'd have to be a mechanical one considering me being spoiled with a mechanical keyboard, which is why I don't use my old one anymore. Up to my knowledge, Razer's mechanical keypad is your best bet. That being said, I would only recommend getting a keypad in general if you don't already have a full sized mechanical keyboard, or even extended sizes such as the Corsair 95, which would effectively replace the need for a keypad.

strongly disagree about the keypad if no keyboard argument. someone can very easily prefer one switch for gaming while preferring another for typing. let's say reds and blues. the reason not to get a gamepad is money and desk space concerns.

I'd get a keypad if i could get one where the movement keys are MX browns and it's not priced above €40.

You can't tell me those things are expensive to make, they only have like 20 switches on them, keyboards have over 100 and look at monoprice: full sized MX blue for $50?

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

So should I just get the Orbweaver? I want a keypad, and mechanical seems to be the way to go. I'll spend the money if I really have to, because I personally don't know how loud MX Blues are. I do a lot of late night gaming and sound travels through my house and I don't want them to be so loud my parents can hear them. I'll pay the premium to get the MX Browns only if I have to.

I personally find the browns better for gaming than blues.  There's no learning curve for the double-tap 'problem' and the click doesn't help as much because it's almost impossible to not bottom out when you're 'maxing APM'.  Yes, that means I think the orbweaver should come in a red switch model.

I personally find the browns better for gaming than blues.  There's no learning curve for the double-tap 'problem' and the click doesn't help as much because it's almost impossible to not bottom out when you're 'maxing APM'.  Yes, that means I think the orbweaver should come in a red switch model.

I could... Get the blue switch Orbweaver, because when you think about it, I'm not gonna be typing with the thing, it'll just be holding down the WASD keys and the occasion Q, E, SHIFT, R, etc... Shouldn't be too bad. I'll probably get MX Browns for my proper keyboard :D

I thought the same about blues, that my brother next door would get annoyed.

So this was my/his reaction:

When you are typing, so when you are standing near it, it sounds like it's louder than you thought. But when you exit the room(in my case) You can barely hear the typing. 
It's kind of like magic. 

I thought the same about blues, that my brother next door would get annoyed.

So this was my/his reaction:

When you are typing, so when you are standing near it, it sounds like it's louder than you thought. But when you exit the room(in my case) You can barely hear the typing. 

It's kind of like magic. 

Maybe because higher pitch sounds don't travel as far ;) I'm thinking of just going with the MX Blues, I can always get O-Rings if they're a problem

Maybe because higher pitch sounds don't travel as far ;) I'm thinking of just going with the MX Blues, I can always get O-Rings if they're a problem

Yep