Video Card Not Working

Tmt97

So my R 7950 for some reason has stopped working today. When I plug it into a display, it doesn't even recognize that there's anything connected to it. I noticed this today after I worked on my PC. I added a wireless adapter and a fan, then I reworked my cable management. After I finished I went to test that everything was still working and that's when I figured out that I had this problem. The fans on the video card definitely start up, and I also reseated the card a few times to try and fix it. The only weird thing I'm noticing is a very soft ticking sound that might be coming from the card. It could be the card's fans though... I have tried connecting with two different HDMI cables so far to make sure that its not the cable. Also just fyi, my motherboard doesn't have onboard video. Any ideas to fix this?

I've had a nonstop string of bad luck since I built this PC. When I first built it I had to buy a new display to replace my old one since this same card wouldn't connect to it. Then the display broke. Now I've gotten the display fixed, the video cards acting up again. I'm at the end of my rope here. I can't afford to keep replacing parts because something breaks every other week. If I can't get this fixed without having to buy a new video card, I probably just won't be able to have a PC. Plz help!

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Do you have another PC that you an install it into?

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

11 minutes ago, FireFox said:

Do you have another PC that you an install it into?

Nope. Only other thing I have is a half dead 2011 macbook pro.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

12 minutes ago, Iamdarkbowser said:

Did you forget to plug in the power again?

Nope, not this time. In fact I double checked and unplugged then re plugged it in.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

2 minutes ago, Tmt97 said:

Nope. Only other thing I have is a half dead 2011 macbook pro.

Ahh bugger, is there anyway that you could gain access to one literally for a few minutes to verify that the card actually works?

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

1 minute ago, Iamdarkbowser said:

Did you forget to plug in the power again?

Again? lol Yeah make sure its seated correctly and the pci-e power is plugged into the card. Also try different connections if possible like DVI.

Ahh bugger, is there anyway that you could gain access to one literally for a few minutes to verify that the card actually works?

Not to anyone who would let me open up and install the card in their computer... Trust me, I've tried.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Just now, Tmt97 said:

Not to anyone who would let me open up and install the card in their computer... Trust me, I've tried.

So the card is not providing any display signal, I can't think of what else to try.

Do you have another video card available, if so install it in the same PCI-e and if anything you can rule out the PSU, board and monitor. Other than that I have no idea what to suggest.

So the card is not providing any display signal, I can't think of what else to try.

Do you have another video card available, if so install it in the same PCI-e and if anything you can rule out the PSU, board and monitor. Other than that I have no idea what to suggest.

Well I'm royally screwed lol.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Just now, Tmt97 said:

Bugger then I am out of ideas lol

Sorry I can't provide anymore assistance :P

1 minute ago, Tmt97 said:

Well not totally, is there a spare motherboard that you can test the card itself on?

11 minutes ago, Iamdarkbowser said:

Well not totally, is there a spare motherboard that you can test the card itself on?

yea, but not one with a cpu. I dont just have mounds of spare parts laying around, guys. xD

12 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Well this is problematic. Do you have onboard video? Can you boot using that and see if windows recognizes the videocard?

No, I didn't buy a motherboard with any onboard video. Didn't think I'd need it with this card.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Do you not read previous comments?

There was not anything that said something about specifically a spare motherboard. 

4 minutes ago, Iamdarkbowser said:

There was not anything that said something about specifically a spare motherboard. 

13 minutes ago, FireFox said:

12 minutes ago, Tmt97 said:

Try this: Unplug PC. Remove RAM. Remove GPU. Remove BIOS battery. Hold down power button for a bit. Now reverse this, starting with the battery, then GPU, then RAM, then power cable. See if it does anything.

Oh hello again. You helped me yesterday with my game server choices and mentioned something about a low-power card that you could sell to me. Why not test it using one of those? Maybe you could rule out card failure/mobo failure.

On 2/12/2016 at 7:35 PM, iamdarkyoshi said:

Try this: Unplug PC. Remove RAM. Remove GPU. Remove BIOS battery. Hold down power button for a bit. Now reverse this, starting with the battery, then GPU, then RAM, then power cable. See if it does anything.

OMFG You sir are my hero!!!

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

39 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Awesome!

So what do you think the problem was? Videocard? Motherboard? CPU? Whatever it is, what you had me do fixed it, but I would like to prevent this from happening again if possible.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

1 minute ago, Tmt97 said:

So what do you think the problem was? Videocard? Motherboard? CPU? Whatever it is, what you had me do fixed it, but I would like to prevent this from happening again if possible.

Not completely sure. Maybe the motherboard bios decided to disable the onboard videocard or something. Next time it happens, try each step once at a time

6 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Not completely sure. Maybe the motherboard bios decided to disable the onboard videocard or something. Next time it happens, try each step once at a time

Okay. Hopefully I won't have to though. xD Just glad I can use my pc again.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!