Which i7 is right for me

Duchess
Go to solution Solved by Interfectorem,
1 minute ago, Duchess said:

thank you.  And i will use 2 at most.  if one runs star citizen on 3 screens thats even better

Then I would save some money and go with the 5820K. Glad I could help.

Whats the difference?  Gonna be playing Star citizen which will use the extra cores, so they say...

https://pcpartpicker.com/parts/compare/intel-cpu-bx80619i73930k,intel-cpu-bx80633i74930k,intel-cpu-bx80648i75820k,intel-cpu-bx80648i75930k/

Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor

Intel Core i7-4930K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor

Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor

Intel Core i7-5930K 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor

leaning towards the 5820 but I know very little about this stuff

5820k is the best value

3930k is too outdated,

the 4930k is over priced

the 5930k is way over priced.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

4930K or 5930K, your choice

Intel i7 6700K | MSI Krait Z170A MSI GTX 980 w/ NZXT Kraken G10/x31 Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD/WD Blue 1TB HDD NZXT H440 | K70 RGB/SteelSeries Rival

i7-5820K is your best bet. The other CPU's listed before that are last generation and not really sold much. The i7-5930K has almost identical performance to the 5820K and a lot more expensive, so the 5820K is your best bet.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

Go with the 6700K...you say that it'll use the extra cores, but the 6700K has 4 cores, 8 threads

5820k, same cores as 5930k, just clocked 200mhz lower and has lower PCI-E lanes. Like the other stated, the others are outdated and not worth it.

Definately the 5820K. You can get nearly identical performance to the 5930K in it right out of the box, and if you Overclock it by 0.2 GHz you can get even similar performance.

Unless you want to feed the almighty Brian Krzanich stay away from the 5930k unless you need the extra cores. I have the 5930k, only because I got a big discount on it. 

PC Specs: 
CPU: i7-5930K | Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX | GPU: GeForce GTX 980 Ti | Mobo: ASRock X99 Extreme4 | Memory: HyperX Fury Black 16GB | Storage: SeaGate 2TB & SanDisk 120GB SSD | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/ Window | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W Gold Cert | Monitors: (x2) Acer S220HQL | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB |

2 minutes ago, jkeasley said:

Go with the 6700K...you say that it'll use the extra cores, but the 6700K has 4 cores, 8 threads

The 5820K beats the 6700K when you compare price to performance

3 minutes ago, jkeasley said:

it depends on where you live. In america the 5820k is cheaper than the 6700. 6700k is 20-25% higher single core performance, But 5820k is 20-25% faster multi core performance. 

2 minutes ago, UGame_ said:

Definately the 5820K. You can get nearly identical performance to the 5930K in it right out of the box, and if you Overclock it by 0.2 GHz you can get even similar performance.

Unless you want to feed the almighty Brian Krzanich stay away from the 5930k unless you need the extra cores. I have the 5930k, only because I got a big discount on it. 

the 5830k also has more pci  lanes then the 5820k

5820k if using one or two GPUs

5830k if using three or more GPUs

Realistically, save some dough and just get the 5820k; I remember Linus did a video explaining PCIe lanes and their impact on performance, and it was pretty slight overall. Besides, after two cards your rate of diminishing return comes into play. More than two GPUs is just unrealistic and more for bragging rights in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, Stylized_Violence said:

5820k if using one or two GPUs

5830k if using three or more GPUs

Realistically, save some dough and just get the 5820k; real world performance isn't going to be terribly noticeable anyway from what I've read and heard from other users. I remember Linus did a video explaining their impact on performance, and it was pretty slight overall.

The 5820k can do 3 way sli it just can't do 4 way because it doesn't have enough pci lanes.

3 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

the 5830k also has more pci  lanes then the 5820k

I dont know what pci lane is:(

2 minutes ago, Duchess said:

I dont know what pci lane is:(

How many graphics cards are you going to be using? If it's no more than three, then you don't need to worry about PCI-E Lanes, it'll just add to the complexity, but if you're just curious about what they are. Basically they're direct "roads" that connect to the CPU and can talk to the CPU with low lag. A standard graphics card uses 16 of these lanes, and are generally the most common components that use these lanes. Well anything that connects to a PCI-E slot uses these lanes, but lower priority stuff like Wi-Fi cards go through these "auxiliary" lanes that are not direct, and have a bit more latency. The inherent advantage of the 5930K is that it has 40 lanes, as opposed to the 28 the 5820K, but if you're not using more than three graphics cards, it won't matter. Hope I didn't confuse ya.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

2 minutes ago, Interfectorem said:

How many graphics cards are you going to be using? If it's no more than three, then you don't need to worry about PCI-E Lanes, it'll just add to the complexity, but if you're just curious about what they are. Basically they're direct "roads" that connect to the CPU and can talk to the CPU with low lag. A standard graphics card uses 16 of these lanes, and are generally the most common components that use these lanes. Well anything that connects to a PCI-E slot uses these lanes, but lower priority stuff like Wi-Fi cards go through these "auxiliary" lanes that are not direct, and have a bit more latency. The inherent advantage of the 5930K is that it has 40 lanes, as opposed to the 28 the 5820K, but if you're not using more than three graphics cards, it won't matter. Hope I didn't confuse ya.

thank you.  And i will use 2 at most.  if one runs star citizen on 3 screens thats even better

1 minute ago, Duchess said:

22 minutes ago, Savir said:

The 5820K beats the 6700K when you compare price to performance

Fair enough...go with the 4770K or the 4790K

9 minutes ago, Interfectorem said:

Thanks dropping the knowledge