Does Gigabyte Overclock Non K CPUs?

OMGitsGhost

I've seen overclocked non K Skylake CPU builds. I'm wondering if Gigabyte still has their motherboards bios ready to overclock a i3 6100. I heard on NCIX Tech Tips that Intel made AsRock update their bios to block non K CPUs to overclock. 

The Build I made: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mj8Wxr

Feel Free to comment on it I say its not done there it is. If you see a part thats cheaper and better to get let me know. 

4 minutes ago, OMGitsGhost said:

I've seen overclocked non K Skylake CPU builds. I'm wondering if Gigabyte still has their motherboards bios ready to overclock a i3 6100. I heard on NCIX Tech Tips that Intel made AsRock update their bios to block non K CPUs to overclock. 

Feel Free to comment on it I say its not done there it is. If you see a part thats cheaper and better to get let me know. 

So like you already have a 4k G-sync display ready to be used with the 980ti? Or what's your current display set up?

Also it's really not worth dealing with the mess of trying to OC on non K parts, it's getting removed slowly by intel now anyways, and you'd want a Z170 board to do it as well

and aside from that overclocking your CPU really isn't worth doing for gaming, you'd only really want to do it for a 144hz display, and a big maybe at that as the multiplayer games that would really take advantage of high refresh rate displays are already going to run well on lesser CPUs.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Intel is forcing a bios update to disable non-k oc. 

Don't buy into it. It'll work for a few weeks at best, then reset and you will have wasted money

Welcome to LTT! Feel free to PM me if you just wanna chat, I love conversation!

If you ever have any audio questions, wether it's software, hardware, or production and theory, feel free to ask me. Odds are I can help you, or get you help. 

3 minutes ago, OMGitsGhost said:

It is possible that it is still available, but don't expect it to last more than about a month, by then intel will have forced them to update.

:)xD9_9:D:PB|

1 minute ago, Ahaber said:

It is possible that it is still available, but don't expect it to last more than about a month, by then intel will have forced them to update.

I'll wait and see what happens. I think its safer to wait and see if intel changes its mind. 

no, you should not overclock any non-K skylake CPU

if you want to overclock, buy a 6600k or 6700k and Z170 motherboard

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, OMGitsGhost said:

I'll wait and see what happens. I think its safer to wait and see if intel changes its mind. 

That's not worth doing at all intel wants you to pay more for K series parts, and so they aren't going to let up, and what is your display set up? because that build is overall a mess if it's for a gaming rig

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Just now, Streetguru said:

That's not worth doing at all, and what is your display set up? because that build is overall a mess if it's for a gaming rig

Like I said I'm not to sure on the build, YET. I just added the 980. I might just add a R7, R9, or 950.

11 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

So like you already have a 4k G-sync display ready to be used with the 980ti? Or what's your current display set up?

Also it's really not worth dealing with the mess of trying to OC on non K parts, it's getting removed slowly by intel now anyways, and you'd want a Z170 board to do it as well

and aside from that overclocking your CPU really isn't worth doing for gaming, you'd only really want to do it for a 144hz display, and a big maybe at that as the multiplayer games that would really take advantage of high refresh rate displays are already going to run well on lesser CPUs.

The fact: If you have updated your BIOS with the non-k oc Intel CAN'T do ANYTHING about it because it is all hardware related other than the UEFI Bios. 
Conclusion: Yes Intel IS* pissed and will do something about it but the NON-K oc on Skylake will stay on forever and can't be reversed.

4 minutes ago, Redicat said:

The fact: If you have updated your BIOS with the non-k oc Intel CAN'T do ANYTHING about it because it is all hardware related other than the UEFI Bios. 
Conclusion: Yes Intel IS* pissed and will do something about it but the NON-K oc on Skylake will stay on forever and can't be reversed.

I thought it would be a cool build, but most people seem it'll get hit slowly by intel. Then again do motherboard makers force bios updates? 

1 minute ago, OMGitsGhost said:

I thought it would be a cool build, but most people seem it'll get hit slowly by intel. Then again do motherboard makers force bios updates? 

I wouldn't be scared M8 Intel fucked up you can't simply go and reverse what business have done wrong :P 

If you bought a new Motherboard and Intel has already forced the BIOS update just... flash back :) 

i think its mostly automatic so you may not know it happens then bam no more OC on you non k cpu

2 minutes ago, WolfoftheShadow7465 said:

i think its mostly automatic so you may not know it happens then bam no more OC on you non k cpu

EUFI bios has no ethernet :P 

1 minute ago, Redicat said:

I wouldn't be scared M8 Intel fucked up you can't simply go and reverse what business have done wrong :P 

If you bought a new Motherboard and Intel has already forced the BIOS update just... flash back :) 

Haven't bought it yet. That's why I gave a link to PC Part Picker. I think I could find an old Bios update and flash back if I want to in the future. 

Just now, WolfoftheShadow7465 said:

makes sense, didnt know that thats cool though

They might change hardware related but if you have already bought the motherboard and CPU they pretty much can't really do anything about it... at all.

They might change hardware related but if you have already bought the motherboard and CPU they pretty much can't really do anything about it... at all.

thats awesome, makes me wish i hopped on board before intel fixed most of it up. could of got a solid i5 or i7 without needing the extra cost of K version

8 minutes ago, Redicat said:

4 minutes ago, Redicat said:

1 minute ago, WolfoftheShadow7465 said:

thats awesome, makes me wish i hopped on board before intel fixed most of it up. could of got a solid i5 or i7 without needing the extra cost of K version

What GPU should I add instead of a 980ti

1 minute ago, WolfoftheShadow7465 said:

There are a few things you have to be aware off...

1. Your BIOS WILL stay outdated (No problem if you don't change CPU) 

4.http://overclocking.guide/asrock-z170-non-k-overclocking-guide/

5. I only trust ASROCK.

You're responsible for my advice (you take the risk)

There are a few things you have to be aware off...

1. Your BIOS WILL stay outdated (No problem if you don't change CPU) 

4.http://overclocking.guide/asrock-z170-non-k-overclocking-guide/

5. I only trust ASROCK.

You're responsible for my advice (you take the risk)

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/asrock-killed-overclocking-intel-skylake-nonk/

Intel Stop them thats why I went with Gigabyte

Just now, Redicat said:

Their site still states non-oc and doesn't show any SIGN it is been wiped...

If I can find the deleted bios update for OC, then I'm good. 

If I can find the deleted bios update for OC, then I'm good. 

Link i gave is at 4. make sure you download the file before it's gone and you'll be completely fine

3 minutes ago, Redicat said:

Link i gave is at 4. make sure you download the file before it's gone and you'll be completely fine

Page won't load for me

Just now, OMGitsGhost said:

Page won't load for me

Well than i can give you a download? what Bios motherboard you exactly wanne overclock?