Can I improve startup times?

MVPernula

My OS is installed on 2 850 EVOs in RAID 0, but I feel like my startup time is absolute shit compare to what I feel like it's supposed to be. The standard things to check are startup programs and I have two that start without impact. What can I do?

Which OS are you running?

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Just now, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Which OS are you running?

Windows 10!

Well, obvious question here... how long does it take?  We don't know if you actually have a problem or are just really impatient ;)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well, obvious question here... how long does it take?  We don't know if you actually have a problem or are just really impatient ;)

It takes 1 minute and 9 seconds from the moment I push the button to login screen.

2 hours ago, Virtual01 said:

What is your startup time? Don't guess, clock it with your phone. Do you have fast boot enabled?

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

It takes 1 minute and 9 seconds from the moment I push the button to login screen.

1 minute ago, MVPernula said:

Ok yeah that's extremely excessive. Depending on how long it takes your MOBO to post, you should be looking at maybe 10-15 seconds with fast boot enabled.

2 minutes ago, Virtual01 said:

Ok yeah that's extremely excessive. Depending on how long it takes your MOBO to post, you should be looking at maybe 10-15 seconds with fast boot enabled.

I know right? Well takes about 30 seconds to post, then the extra 40 to login screen. Fast boot enabled.

X99-s Mobo

2 hours ago, MVPernula said:

My OS is installed on 2 850 EVOs in RAID 0, but I feel like my startup time is absolute shit compare to what I feel like it's supposed to be. The standard things to check are startup programs and I have two that start without impact. What can I do?

You might try disabling Fast Startup in Windows 10. It caused my PC to shut down / turn on way slower. Not to mention the stability issues I had with it turned on.

Post here on how to turn it off:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/535271-computer-takes-long-time-to-shut-down/?do=findComment&comment=7108979

What are you using to do the RAID0? Intel onboard RAID? Just want to make sure you have TRIM support.

3 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

You might try disabling Fast Startup in Windows 10. It caused my PC to shut down / turn on way slower. Not to mention the stability issues I had with it turned on.

Post here on how to turn it off:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/535271-computer-takes-long-time-to-shut-down/?do=findComment&comment=7108979

What are you using to do the RAID0? Intel onboard RAID? Just want to make sure you have TRIM support.

I'm using Intel somethingsomething! What's TRIM?

1 minute ago, MVPernula said:

I'm using Intel somethingsomething! What's TRIM?

TRIM is a set of instructions that pretty much tells an SSD when to clean itself. If you have a Intel controller, you probably have it support.

Try disabling fast startup first though. Your 850 Evos should be fairly quick. My laptop with a Crucial M500 starts up to Windows desktop in 4 seconds...

Just now, scottyseng said:

TRIM is a set of instructions that pretty much tells an SSD when to clean itself. If you have a Intel controller, you probably have it support.

Try disabling fast startup first though.

I disabled it! Should I do it in bios as well?

Just now, MVPernula said:

I disabled it! Should I do it in bios as well?

No, it's a Windows 10 only setting. Turn off the PC and turn it back on. See if there's any difference.

3 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

No, it's a Windows 10 only setting. Turn off the PC and turn it back on. See if there's any difference.

No improvement at all.

Just now, MVPernula said:

No improvement at all.

Hmm, I guess your RAID0 array isn't aging too well. Yeah, I would definitely see if TRIM is supported though. Also, part of the boot time lag is the RAID controller BIOS loading up as well.

1 minute ago, scottyseng said:

Hmm, I guess your RAID0 array isn't aging too well. Yeah, I would definitely see if TRIM is supported though. Also, part of the boot time lag is the RAID controller BIOS loading up as well.

Yeah I recently set this RAID up to speed things up, not working quite as planned. Where do I see if it's supported or not?

9 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Nevermind that, just checked via Command Prompt and it said TRIM is enabled

There was a thread a while back (well, like a week ago) about a guy who disabled RAID and got better performance... it's possible the array is messed up like Linus' 8 SSDs in RAID 0 were after a few years

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 hours ago, MVPernula said:

Do you have any usb devices connected to your computer? I noticed that If i have my external hdds connected to my pc when I start it up it takes a lot longer to start up then without.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

1 minute ago, Ryoku said:

Do you have any usb devices connected to your computer? I noticed that If i have my external hdds connected to my pc when I start it up it takes a lot longer to start up then without.

shouldn't that only affect POST?  Or is Windows doing something weird?...

On that topic though, sometimes having a CD in the optical drive can add many seconds, but again, that's just during/after POST, not the windows boot.

45 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

shouldn't that only affect POST?  Or is Windows doing something weird?...

On that topic though, sometimes having a CD in the optical drive can add many seconds, but again, that's just during/after POST, not the windows boot.

I noticed that its once the windows logo comes up that's the part that take longer when I have my Externals plugged in, So whatever point that is.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

3 minutes ago, Ryoku said:

I noticed that its once the windows logo comes up that's the part that take longer when I have my Externals plugged in, So whatever point that is.

Interesting... then Windows is doing something with them that's slowing it down.. I can't imagine why though

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Interesting... then Windows is doing something with them that's slowing it down.. I can't imagine why though

Mine isn't as bad as your though, Mines only 10-15 seconds longer so like 10-15 second start up with them unplugged and 25-30 seconds with them plugged in.  Might not even be the same thing.