x99 does OC ability vary much between boards?

Hi,

So I was looking at motherboards such as the Asus sabretooth and the lower end boards like the MSI SLI plus and was wondering if there would be much difference in these board when it comes to overclocking or will they more than likely be able to achieve the same overclocks?

Custom PC:

Intel Core i7 5960X GTX1080 Strix | 64gb 2400mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Ram | Samsung S951 256gb M.2 | 4TB WD Blue SSHD | EVGA Supernova G2 1300watt PSU | Acer XB270HU | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB |

Just now, PeggersXtreme said:

Hi,

So I was looking at motherboards such as the Asus sabretooth and the lower end boards like the MSI SLI plus and was wondering if there would be much difference in these board when it comes to overclocking or will they more than likely be able to achieve the same overclocks?

for lower oc, no, but if youre planning to go crazy and overvolt it more than the tiniest bit, go for an asus board

There are many factors that decide if you are getting a good OC, but Mobos are not really that important anymore, though you can't compare low end with hig ends from time to time

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

1 minute ago, Josephdalepi said:

for lower oc, no, but if youre planning to go crazy and overvolt it more than the tiniest bit, go for an asus board

I'm aiming for 4.8 on my 5960X which I achieved on my old MSI Xpower USB3.1 board at 1.35v but that board developed an issue with the bios and wouldn't display correctly so I am looking at getting a new board usually run my ram at 2400mhz as it doesn't make a huge difference going any faster.

Custom PC:

Intel Core i7 5960X GTX1080 Strix | 64gb 2400mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Ram | Samsung S951 256gb M.2 | 4TB WD Blue SSHD | EVGA Supernova G2 1300watt PSU | Acer XB270HU | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB |

1 minute ago, PeggersXtreme said:

I'm aiming for 4.8 on my 5960X which I achieved on my old MSI Xpower USB3.1 board at 1.35v but that board developed an issue with the bios and wouldn't display correctly so I am looking at getting a new board usually run my ram at 2400mhz as it doesn't make a huge difference going any faster.

supported ram is only 2133 for that processor

bring it down to 2133, which is supported, and see if that helps

1 minute ago, Josephdalepi said:

supported ram is only 2133 for that processor

bring it down to 2133, which is supported, and see if that helps

That should not be the issue here.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

9 minutes ago, C0LL0SS0S said:

There are many factors that decide if you are getting a good OC, but Mobos are not really that important anymore, though you can't compare low end with hig ends from time to time

The price difference between these boards is quite big but features don't vary much I did order the sabertooth x99 but for some strange reason amazon decided to not deliver it and take it back to their warehouse so  now I am just looking at others before I re-order the sabertooth. I don't see the point in going any higher end that that though to like the ROG boards etc. Just wanted to compare something like the MSI SLI Plus to the Sabertooth as the price difference would allow for a dedicated sound card not sure what sound is like on the sabertooth I know Asus use their crystal sound on the rest of their boards.

Custom PC:

Just now, Morgan MLGman said:

That should not be the issue here.

with the massice overclock he wants, id say try everything

Just now, Josephdalepi said:

I don't have a board at the moment stuck using my old FX8320E and although it's good it's not 5960X good lol so really want to make a decision on a new board so I can use my 5960X again just so many on the market I can't choose

Custom PC:

4 minutes ago, PeggersXtreme said:

The price difference between these boards is quite big but features don't vary much I did order the sabretooth x99 but for some strange reason amazon decided to not deliver it and take it back to their warehouse so  now I am just looking at others before I re-order the sabretooth. I don't see the point in going any higher end that that though to like the ROG boards etc. Just wanted to compare something like the MSI SLI Plus to the Sabertooth as the price difference would allow for a dedicated sound card not sure what sound is like on the sabertooth I know Asus use there crystal sound on the rest of their boards.

I see, though I think that sabretooth packs some moderate Audio on board so you should be fine I guess

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Just now, Josephdalepi said:

Nah, in this case it's either the board VRMs being not good enough, the thermals that are bad or the CPU itself that just cannot get that high in terms of clock speeds, looking at the motherboard and considering it's a motherboard designed for overclocking and assuming that OP knows what he's doing and cooling the CPU properly, it might just be the chip not being the best one for overclocking

I don't have a board at the moment stuck using my old FX8320E and although it's good it's not 5960X good lol so really want to make a decision on a new board so I can use my 5960X again just so many on the market I can't choose

I guess try this board? http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X99%20OC%20Formula3.1/

ASUS also makes great boards, but they're often overpriced, so keep that in mind

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Just now, C0LL0SS0S said:

I see, though I think that sabretooth packs some moderate Audio on board so you should be fine I guess

I did also consider the deluxe but not sure how that would look in a Red build and also heard it has boot up issues.

Custom PC:

I did also consider the deluxe but not sure how that would look in a Red build and also heard it has boot up issues.

Well you COULD just overspray that IO cover and make it red/black :P

1 minute ago, C0LL0SS0S said:

And lose the warranty? Yeah, go ahead xD

sorry, cant make this go away

if you wanna do red, get a formula.  red and black and those things are not only damn near perfectly reliable but also the overclockability is crazy as hell

ill get back to you on the asus vs msi, im doing research

Just now, C0LL0SS0S said:

yeah I don't think white would be too much of an issue Asus should have kept it at white and silver though I think rather than adding those blue lines or instead put black lines instead of blue that way it would match anything.

Custom PC:

4 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Nah, in this case it's either the board VRMs being not good enough, the thermals that are bad or the CPU itself that just cannot get that high in terms of clock speeds, looking at the motherboard and considering it's a motherboard designed for overclocking and assuming that OP knows what he's doing and cooling the CPU properly, it might just be the chip not being the best one for overclocking

I guess try this board? http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X99%20OC%20Formula3.1/

ASUS also makes great boards, but they're often overpriced, so keep that in mind

Is ASRock it's own brand someone told me they are made by Asus never really looked into ASRock

Custom PC:

2 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

And lose the warranty? Yeah, go ahead xD

Warranty is for weaks

Is ASRock it's own brand someone told me they are made by Asus never really looked into ASRock

asrock is its own

alright, going with the msi will be cheaper

but im always gonna recommend asus

ill admit its got more than a bit to do with fanboy

but heres the thing

asus

amazing warranties

best bios there is

easiest overclocking

most reliable

lowest failure rates

asus motherboard will take your overclock and run with it

msi may not be so reliable with such a high overclock

They were under ASUS once, now they make their own boards, they're pretty good I'd say, I bought ASRock Fatal1ty X99X Killer for my dad's 5820k build, an awesome board.
It's a "gaming" one, if you're into overclocking the one I sent you should be more appropriate, read into its "OC" features in the link I sent you, good power delivery, good radiators in important spots etc

I bought an ASRock board for myself after that because the one for my dad was awesome, not disappointed so far ^^

1 minute ago, Morgan MLGman said:

They were under ASUS once, now they make their own boards, they're pretty good I'd say, I bought ASRock Fatal1ty X99X Killer for my dad's 5820k build, an awesome board.
It's a "gaming" one, if you're into overclocking the one I sent you should be more appropriate, read into its "OC" features in the link I sent you, good power delivery, good radiators in important spots etc

I bought an ASRock board for myself after that because the one for my dad was awesome, not disappointed so far ^^

The main thing that's throwing me off on the x99 platform is the Asus OC socket I hear a lot of people praise it but does it really give 10% boosts over the standard socket?

Custom PC:

The main thing that's throwing me off on the x99 platform is the Asus OC socket I hear a lot of people praise it but does it really give 10% boosts over the standard socket?

I doubt that honestly, although the ASRock OC Formula board also has an "improved" socket that according to the website "makes the CPU and memory work faster and unlocks some "hidden" voltage tweaking functions", all in all it's a board designed specifically for overclocking

2 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

I doubt that honestly, although the ASRock OC Formula board also has an "improved" socket that according to the website "makes the CPU and memory work faster and unlocks some "hidden" voltage tweaking functions", all in all it's a board designed specifically for overclocking

Ok, it's nice but I don't think it would fit well with my other parts  I have red coolant and red LED fans the Asrock Killer Gaming looks cool though

Custom PC:

Ok, it's nice but I don't think it would fit well with my other parts  I have red coolant and red LED fans the Asrock Killer Gaming looks cool though

It is pretty good, looks nice, has tons of features and is quality-made, although I can't say too much about overclocking capabilities, I haven't even tried pushing the CPU further than 4,5gHz because my dad values silence, so he has the build in a H440 with a Dark Rock Pro 3 cooler

6 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Last Asrock Board I owned is over 10years old now it was my dads PC and it still works but we never use it as it's an old AMD 1.4ghz single core and 512mb ram lol

Custom PC: