My Dad's 9 Year Old Laptop Finally Died, Proceeds To Steal My MBA &...

NavXIII

...Tells Me To Buy A New One

Well he didn't steal it. He basically said he'll take my 5 year old Macbook Air and will pay for a replacement that's under $2000. Which is great because I planned on using my summer job income to build a 4K editing and gaming desktop in August. And thank God that I don't have to deal with Apple again. =D

Initially I wanted a cheapo laptop to replace my Macbook that I mainly use for school, but I didn't find any that I liked. Then I looked at one with pen features, but the cheap Surface tablets/laptops are kinda meh, and the better ones are way too expensive. I looked at various tablets but it seems like Google doesn't sell the Nexus 9 anymore, and rumour has it that they're working on a new Nexus 7 (IMO a better form factor). I don't really like any of the other tablets based on my experience.

So then I thought why not just get that desktop I want know and wait for a good new tablet to be released. Thing is, before today I wanted to wait until the new Intel chips to come out before building a rig because I didn't really need a new PC so waiting that long wasn't a problem. But now I actually need a new computer soon and here's two builds I've been thinking of, one is X99 and the other is Z170:

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/9gnZt6

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/Fh7f3C

There's no GPU because I'll be reusing an old GTX 570 until the 1000 series come out. Also I'm thinking of selling my Predator SSD and pick up a cheaper SSD because I initially got it second hand for $250 and it's selling on ebay for $600.

I chose the 1000W PSU because it's only about $25 more than the 850W version and I plan on overclocking both the CPU and GPU (with a possibility of 2x SLI in the future). Basically it's Skylake vs Haswell. Which one should I go with and should I make any changes?

Thanks.

Would your dad like my 5 year old macbook pro as well? I wouldn't turn down $2,000 for it...

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

skylake build since slightly cheaper.

New: PCPartPicker part list

Old:Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHz, GIGABYTE GA-EP43T-UD3L, 4 GB Elixir PC3 ddr3-1333,  ASUS RADEON R7 260X, Thermaltake M9, 1TB HDD, GreatWall GW550SEL 550 WATT, BENQ GW2255, Hyper T4, Samson SR950 Headphones, fiio ek10.

I believe 6700k is better than 5820k on just games (by like 1/2 a fps) and the 5820k wins on video editing and etc. But the x99 platform has better upgrade paths with the new 6th gen cpus

3 minutes ago, Tmt97 said:

Would your dad like my 5 year old macbook pro as well? I wouldn't turn down $2,000 for it...

Probably not lol. Had I got the PC I wanted if his laptop didn't break, he would nag me about wasting cash cus I already have a functional laptop. 

11 minutes ago, NavXIII said:

Probably not lol. Had I got the PC I wanted if his laptop didn't break, he would nag me about wasting cash cus I already have a functional laptop. 

I think calling a five year old macbook air "functional" is rather debatable. xD

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

8 minutes ago, Fungal said:

I believe 6700k is better than 5820k on just games (by like 1/2 a fps) and the 5820k wins on video editing and etc. But the x99 platform has better upgrade paths with the new 6th gen cpus

1/2 isn't a lot. What you mean by upgrade path? Cus my brother's OC'd 2500K is still doing just fine and when he finally needs to upgrade it, he'll just end up getting a whole new Mobo & CPU. So I don't really see a point in upgrading. I do agree with that 5820K is better for video editing but by how much? The Z170 mobos have USB 3.1 Gen2 and Type-C for the same price of a regular X99 mobo which doesn't have either as far as I know.

1 hour ago, NavXIII said:

1/2 isn't a lot. What you mean by upgrade path? Cus my brother's OC'd 2500K is still doing just fine and when he finally needs to upgrade it, he'll just end up getting a whole new Mobo & CPU. So I don't really see a point in upgrading. I do agree with that 5820K is better for video editing but by how much? The Z170 mobos have USB 3.1 Gen2 and Type-C for the same price of a regular X99 mobo which doesn't have either as far as I know.

Well what i meant was that the new 6th gen i7-6950X, 6900K, 6850K, & 6800K are coming to the x99 platform not z170 so you wouldn't need to buy a new motherboard if one day you decided to upgrade. Plus you could get a xeon processor. IMO the 5820k with the x99 platform would be the better buy but it's your choice.

51 minutes ago, Fungal said:

Well what i meant was that the new 6th gen i7-6950X, 6900K, 6850K, & 6800K are coming to the x99 platform not z170 so you wouldn't need to buy a new motherboard if one day you decided to upgrade. Plus you could get a xeon processor. IMO the 5820k with the x99 platform would be the better buy but it's your choice.

Oh I see what you mean. When's the release date for those? If it's within 3 months I could wait. Will there be another gen coming to the X99 after the new 6th gen i7-6950X, 6900K, 6850K, & 6800K? 

Also the Z170 mobos that I'm looking at include a bunch of USB 3.1 Gen1 and Gen2 as well as have a USB Type-C connector for $300. For X99, even the $500 mobos will have like 2 Gen1 ports but are overall lacking. MSI's X99 GODLIKE GAMING mobo has them but an $750 mobo, although it's in my range, seems extreme.

Basically I like the 5280K but also the I/O of the Z170. Ultimately, I'm looking to future-proof my build.

Intel uses a tick-tock system, which boils down to 2 generations per socket/platform max. So X99/2011-3 will be Haswell-E/Broadwell-E, Z170/1151 will be Skylake and gen7.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

7 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

Intel uses a tick-tock system, which boils down to 2 generations per socket/platform max. So X99/2011-3 will be Haswell-E/Broadwell-E, Z170/1151 will be Skylake and gen7.

So basically there won't be another set of X99 CPUs once the next set comes out later this year, therefore I shouldn't spend too much on a mobo unless I plan on sticking with the X99 platform for 4+ years.

I don't recommend the godlike tbh for the features you get extra it isn't worth it I bought it and although the audio is good it is all enhanced by software you can achieve the same audio quality with lower end MSI gaming 7 and 9 boards plus mine died within a week. I've ordered the Gaming 9 ACK coming tomorrow for my 5960X to replace my old board that developed a fault and the main selling point for me was although it doesn't have USB type C it has USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type A ports and a solid wi-fi+bluetooth if anything it has the exact same wifi as the godlike and the OC sockets the higher end and Asus boards are really only if you want to mess around with cache voltages etc. but it's obviously your choice. I asked a similar question about USB C and a lot of people think it will be at least 3-5 years before it will be more available and if it does they will more than likely have add in cards available for PCI-E etc. non of the current processor Skylake or Haswell-e Natively support usb 3.1 the first one to support it will be the Skylake refresh this year. what I personally recommend is getting a mid range board with features you need right now and if you need them in the future expansions will be available much cheaper as at the moment they carry a premium.

Custom PC:

Intel Core i7 5960X GTX1080 Strix | 64gb 2400mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Ram | Samsung S951 256gb M.2 | 4TB WD Blue SSHD | EVGA Supernova G2 1300watt PSU | Acer XB270HU | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB |

18 hours ago, NavXIII said:

...Tells Me To Buy A New One

Are you editing video professionally? because if so you should probably invest in a worksation GPU, and did you said that right that you're going to be editing 4k footage? because I don't see any mass storage there for the footage

otherwise save money on the cooler and get a hyper 212, it'll be fine seemingly the average OC on a 5820K is 4.0-4.2 ghz

and there's really no reason to get skylake over an X99 system, if you wanted to save money on the CPU you'd get a Xeon 1231v3

and you really probably don't need a PSU like that

same relative performance 500 less, should spend the rest on a W5100 firepro card if the video editing is important, it should speed up 4k footage editing, though it's a bit of pain to find info that isn't marketing material, quadro is also an option but those seem rather costly

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/hp-video-card-j3g92at

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/KHc36h
Price breakdown by merchant: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/KHc36h/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($551.05 @ Vuugo)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($37.05 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: Asus X99-A/USB 3.1 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($357.98 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($103.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($68.05 @ Vuugo)
Power Supply: SeaSonic EVO Edition 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($127.82 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $1245.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-08 18:30 EST-0500

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

4 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Are you editing video professionally? because if so you should probably invest in a worksation GPU, and did you said that right that you're going to be editing 4k footage? because I don't see any mass storage there for the footage

otherwise save money on the cooler and get a hyper 212, it'll be fine seemingly the average OC on a 5820K is 4.0-4.2 ghz

and there's really no reason to get skylake over an X99 system, if you wanted to save money on the CPU you'd get a Xeon 1231v3

and you really probably don't need a PSU like that

same relative performance 500 less, should spend the rest on a W5100 firepro card if the video editing is important, it should speed up 4k footage editing, though it's a bit of pain to find info that isn't marketing material, quadro is also an option but those seem rather costly

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/hp-video-card-j3g92at

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/KHc36h
Price breakdown by merchant: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/KHc36h/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($551.05 @ Vuugo)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($37.05 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: Asus X99-A/USB 3.1 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($357.98 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($103.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($68.05 @ Vuugo)
Power Supply: SeaSonic EVO Edition 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($127.82 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $1245.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-08 18:30 EST-0500

Oh no, not professionally. I like to do photography editing on Photoshop and some editing & VFX stuff as a hobby. Mostly just for learning. No 4K editing until I actually have a 4K camera (which are super expensive right now). However, 2K & 4K gaming I will do once I replace my old GTX570 when the 1000 series come out. Also I have a bunch of old 500gb drives and a 4TB external so I don't think I'll need a new HDD anytime soon.

4 minutes ago, NavXIII said:

Oh no, not professionally. I like to do photography editing on Photoshop and some editing & VFX stuff as a hobby. Mostly just for learning. No 4K editing

Well then used the saved money and upgrade your GPU, a 390 is fairly good for the money, or a 380/X, the Nvidia cards in the mid range up until the 980ti are all a bit slower overall, especially the 960 vs 380, although the 950 is faster than the 370 under that

in addition current gen AMD looks to better support DX12, and you save between $100-$300 should you ever upgrade to an adaptive sync display, as nvidia hates freedom. though that 100-300 is for the US market, should be similar anyways

450 for the 390

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-video-card-r9390p8256

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Not sure where you saw your Predetor ssd (SHPM2280P2H/480G) on sale for $600. Newegg is selling it for less than $390 new. I would suggest keeping it as a boot & system drive.

I suspect that 1000W psu is far too much capacity for the build. One needs to exercise some care as oversized psu may not operate at advertised efficiency when very lightly loaded.

The Z170A Gaming M7 motherboard supports 16GB memory modules. Even though it is more expensive, you might consider going with a 2x16GB memory kit. This would leave two free slots for upgrading.

Did you consider the Kraken X61 cpu cooler?

If you plan to edit 4K video I would suggest X99. Both builds will game well presuming a high-end gpu.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

2 hours ago, brob said:

Not sure where you saw your Predetor ssd (SHPM2280P2H/480G) on sale for $600. Newegg is selling it for less than $390 new. I would suggest keeping it as a boot & system drive.

It was on eBay. On Amazon it's $800 CDN. I'll probably keep it since it's a novelty item.

2 hours ago, brob said:

I suspect that 1000W psu is far too much capacity for the build. One needs to exercise some care as oversized psu may not operate at advertised efficiency when very lightly loaded.

I plan on overclocking the CPU and later on having two OC'd 1000TIs. How many watts would that even be (let's assume SLI 980ti)? I chose the 1000W over the 850W since the difference is only $25.

2 hours ago, brob said:

Did you consider the Kraken X61 cpu cooler?

Is it better than Corsair? I want an AIO mainly for overclocking, so the best AIO for a similar price would be cool.

39 minutes ago, NavXIII said:

It was on eBay. On Amazon it's $800 CDN. I'll probably keep it since it's a novelty item.

I plan on overclocking the CPU and later on having two OC'd 1000TIs. How many watts would that even be (let's assume SLI 980ti)? I chose the 1000W over the 850W since the difference is only $25.

Is it better than Corsair? I want an AIO mainly for overclocking, so the best AIO for a similar price would be cool.

Testing the GTX 980 Ti, Anandtech got a 25% gpu increase at a cost of about 30W.

Best AIO is very subjective. Do you value performance over noise, noise over performance, or something in between? The Kraken X61 has PWM fans. It does much better than the H110i GTX in quiet mode. The H110i GTX does better in performance mode, but is much louder.

23 minutes ago, brob said:

Testing the GTX 980 Ti, Anandtech got a 25% gpu increase at a cost of about 30W.

Best AIO is very subjective. Do you value performance over noise, noise over performance, or something in between? The Kraken X61 has PWM fans. It does much better than the H110i GTX in quiet mode. The H110i GTX does better in performance mode, but is much louder.

Performance over noise. I actually don't mind the noise. If I'm getting the H110i GTX (which is now called H115) I might replace the stock fans with their silent series and put the stock fans into the case. 

2 hours ago, NavXIII said:

Performance over noise. I actually don't mind the noise. If I'm getting the H110i GTX (which is now called H115) I might replace the stock fans with their silent series and put the stock fans into the case. 

Different fans will alter the performance. If memory serves, the Corsair high static pressure quiet edition fans have about half the static pressure of the non-quiet edition. I suspect that would drop the H115i performance under that of the X61. But I can't find any hard data.

11 minutes ago, brob said:

Different fans will alter the performance. If memory serves, the Corsair high static pressure quiet edition fans have about half the static pressure of the non-quiet edition. I suspect that would drop the H115i performance under that of the X61. But I can't find any hard data.

Oh ic. I'll be sticking with the stock fans for a while to see how noisy they are before deciding anything.

Also this is probably the near final build I want: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/Z2HVJx