GPU temperature question.

DND

Hey guys just wanted to ask about the temps of GPU. Does running a dual display makes the temperature go up? i'm currently running a dual monitor setup right now on my gtx 970 and i've noticed while playing nba2k16 max settings my temps got up around 74 degrees celsius. In the past when i'm still not running dual display the temps of my gpu doesn't even exceed around 60 degrees celsius but at that time i'm still using my old shitty lg lcd monitor back then. My current main display right now is the BenQ RL2455HM 24".

Spoiler

PC: CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X @ Curve optimzer -25,  Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black, Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix B500-F Gaming WiFi II, GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7800XT @ Stock , RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x16GB DDR4 3600Mhz CL18, HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB, SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | Team Group MP33 1TB NVME, Case: NZXT H7 Flow Black, PSU: NZXT C1200  I Peripherals: Keyboard: Ducky Shine 6 RGB Special Edition, Mouse: Razer Orochi V2, Headset: Philips SHP9500, Mousepad: Glorious Stealth Extended I Laptop: MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro CPU: i7-6700HQ@ 2.6ghz, GPU: GTX 1060, Memory: 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz, HDD: 1TB+128GB SSD

2 minutes ago, DND said:

Hey guys just wanted to ask about the temps of GPU. Does running a dual display makes the temperature go up? i'm currently running a dual monitor setup right now on my gtx 970 and i've noticed while playing nba2k16 max settings my temps got up around 74 degrees celsius. In the past when i'm still not running dual display the temps of my gpu doesn't even exceed around 60 degrees celsius but at that time i'm still using my old shitty lg lcd monitor back then. My current main display right now is the BenQ RL2455HM 24".

slightly, some cards to clock higher to run the second monitor, mostly on VRM though. 74 is still nice and chill though. Don't worry until mid 80's

¢υѕтσм ℓσσρ σя ησтнιηg αт αℓℓ

When running multiple displays, the card will likely have to clock itself higher to be able to render it. This is standard procedure, and not something to be concerned about. My GTX 970 runs at ~75c under load as well, so don't sweat it.

1 minute ago, Codyman125 said:

slightly, some cards to clock higher to run the second monitor, mostly on VRM though. 74 is still nice and chill though. Don't worry until mid 80's

Oh i see. But i'm a little bit worried cause it went up around 74 degrees right now and i still haven't overclocked my 970. Should i still go and try to overclock or should i get good cooling solutions before overclocking?

Spoiler

PC: CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X @ Curve optimzer -25,  Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black, Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix B500-F Gaming WiFi II, GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7800XT @ Stock , RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x16GB DDR4 3600Mhz CL18, HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB, SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | Team Group MP33 1TB NVME, Case: NZXT H7 Flow Black, PSU: NZXT C1200  I Peripherals: Keyboard: Ducky Shine 6 RGB Special Edition, Mouse: Razer Orochi V2, Headset: Philips SHP9500, Mousepad: Glorious Stealth Extended I Laptop: MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro CPU: i7-6700HQ@ 2.6ghz, GPU: GTX 1060, Memory: 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz, HDD: 1TB+128GB SSD

3 minutes ago, NonaHexa said:

When running multiple displays, the card will likely have to clock itself higher to be able to render it. This is standard procedure, and not something to be concerned about. My GTX 970 runs at ~75c under load as well, so don't sweat it.

Oh i see. Thanks i was a little bit worried cause it got up to 74 degrees and i still haven't oc'ed it yet.

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, DND said:

Oh i see. But i'm a little bit worried cause it went up around 74 degrees right now and i still haven't overclocked my 970. Should i still go and try to overclock or should i get good cooling solutions before overclocking?

Eh, Overclocking won't add a massive amount of heat, plus if you're only hitting 75, I doubt your fans have even ramped up all the way. Overclock it and if it doesn't top 90 in synthetic benchmarks, you're good to go!

Just now, Codyman125 said:

Eh, Overclocking won't add a massive amount of heat, plus if you're only hitting 75, I doubt your fans have even ramped up all the way. Overclock it and if it doesn't top 90 in synthetic benchmarks, you're good to go!

Ohhh. Okay i'll try overclocking it in the future. I notice my case fans speeds ramped up cause it got noisy all of the sudden earlier when i was playing nba2k16 is that natural?

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, Codyman125 said:

My gpu runs 899mhz idle when powering 2 displays. 135mhz for just a single display and it runs cooler

25 minutes ago, DND said:

Ohhh. Okay i'll try overclocking it in the future. I notice my case fans speeds ramped up cause it got noisy all of the sudden earlier when i was playing nba2k16 is that natural?

Not sure about NBA, but yeah, when the GPU warms up, it'll usually make everything else warmer too, speeding up fans in the case.

2 minutes ago, Codyman125 said:

Not sure about NBA, but yeah, when the GPU warms up, it'll usually make everything else warmer too, speeding up fans in the case.

Oh i see now that i know i'm a little bit relieved i thought that wasn't natural. 

Spoiler

those temps are fine. my 970 was running 80C with multiple monitors and gaming.

also if you have a 144hz monitor the gpu will run higher clock speeds aswell = higher idle temps

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF RTX 4080 super - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15