What to buy?

Go to solution Solved by ALwin,

Those look like F-mount lenses to me.  Nikon AI-S lenses are SLR lenses.  And that's a Nikon F301 SLR, which is a F-mount body.

http://www.nikonians.org/reviews?alias=nikon-slr-camera-and-lens-compatibility

The reason your dad doesn't use them might be because entry level Nikon bodies like the D3300 do not come with full support for older lenses compared to higher end Nikon bodies like the D300s, D600, D800, etc.  While the lens can be mounted, because there isn't any electronic circuitry on the lens none of the Nikon cameras will detect that a lens is mounted.  However some Nikon bodies, usually the higher end models, have a setting in the menu that lets you take photos even if the camera doesn't detect a lens.  Which I believe is missing in the lower end of the Nikon cameras.

I don't have an entry level Nikon body or such an old lens, so I can't be sure. You will have to check.

Though the chart in the link I posted states that you should be able to use AI-S lenses with a D3300, on manual focus only.

So im in the market for a dslr camera. My dad has a nikon d3300 and a 18-105mm lens with stablization and fokusing motors. i plan to collect lenses together with him so if a different brand is better i need an adapter. also he has some really expensive old lenses from nikon. is there an adapter to use those?

my budget for the camera without lense is 400€. do you have any recomendations?

im not that into cameras so please excuse that.

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

D3300 or D5200

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

If your dad has a Nikon and a collection of old Nikon lenses, and you want to be able to share the gear among the two of you then stick with a Nikon.

Nikon is one of the few camera manufacturers that have been consistent with their lens mounts over the decades. Nikon F-mount lenses go back decades and are more or less compatible with any F-mount camera body.

A D3x00 series camera should be around 400 Euros. Or a second hand higher model.

Yes there are lens mount adapters, but then you'd most certainly be stuck with manual focus.  Canon and Sony would be your choices then, as their flange distance is shorter than Nikon.

So are you looking for a camera to take photos or record video?  For photography, Nikon, Canon, Sony, Panasonic, etc. cameras are equally capable of capturing good images.

For videos, there are other things to consider.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

14 minutes ago, ZetZet said:

D3300 or D5200

apart from the display whats the difference?

4 minutes ago, ALwin said:

If your dad has a Nikon and a collection of old Nikon lenses, and you want to be able to share the gear among the two of you then stick with a Nikon.

A D3x00 series camera should be around 400 Euros. Or a second hand higher model.

Yes there are lens mount adapters, but then you'd most certainly be stuck with manual focus.  Canon and Sony would be your choices then, as their flange distance is shorter than Nikon.

So are you looking for a camera to take photos or record video?  For photography, Nikon, Canon, Sony, Panasonic, etc. cameras are equally capable of capturing good images.

For videos, there are other things to consider.

i dont have problem with manual focus, i normally take a lot of time for photos. video is not a prority

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

4 minutes ago, ChrisCross said:

i dont have problem with manual focus, i normally take a lot of time for photos. video is not a prority

D5200 has higher dynamic range, more focus points, flip out screen.

39 focus points with 9 cross type vs 11 focus point and only 1 cross type. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Just now, ChrisCross said:

Well your dad already owns a D3300, borrow it from him and see what you like about it.

Though I'm not certain you getting another D3300, even with just the body without kit lens, makes sense if there is already one in the house (just for photography).  Look to see if you can get something like a second hand D300s or something.

Trust me, for photography even if you are comfortable using manual focus, there will be times when you wish you had AF.  Especially on digital cameras where the view finder is not 100% and doesn't come with an older SLR style focusing screen.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

1 minute ago, ZetZet said:

D5200 has higher dynamic range, more focus points, flip out screen.

worth the 100€?

1 minute ago, ALwin said:

Well your dad already owns a D3300, borrow it from him and see what you like about it.

Though I'm not certain you getting another D3300, even with just the body without kit lens, makes sense if there is already one in the house (just for photography).  Look to see if you can get something like a second hand D300s or something.

Trust me, for photography even if you are comfortable using manual focus, there will be times when you wish you had AF.  Especially on digital cameras where the view finder is not 100% and doesn't come with an older SLR style focusing screen.

well i spend quite some time with the nikon and i liked the canon of my friend more because of the touchscreen.

i will move out in the near future and hes not always comfortable with me borrowing it in some situations.

yeah your probably right with the af. but i dont want to leave all that sick camera gear unused. if we need af i could use my dad's camera or just buy a new one (if i have the money sometime :D )

OK.

First. If you decide to buy a Canon or Sony, know the type of lens adapter you need to mount those Nikon lenses sitting around, here are a few good examples.

Second, buy the camera you are comfortable using.  If you're not sure about specs you can always look for some online reviews or ask someone.  There's no right or wrong answer to choosing a camera.  The main points are "know how to use it" and "know how to take photos" (and I don't mean simply pointing the lens at someone and pressing the shutter button).  The camera is just a tool.

3 minutes ago, ALwin said:

OK.

First. If you decide to buy a Canon or Sony, know the type of lens adapter you need to mount those Nikon lenses sitting around, here are a few good examples.

Second, buy the camera you are comfortable using.  If you're not sure about specs you can always look for some online reviews or ask someone.  There's no right or wrong answer to choosing a camera.  The main points are "know how to use it" and "know how to take photos" (and I don't mean simply pointing the lens at someone and pressing the shutter button).  The camera is just a tool.

im pretty comfortable with the nikon and the canon. i just found a canon 100d with 15-55mm for 400€ is that good? or should i go for a 700d?

also which adapter do i need for old nikon lenses?

The 100D/SL1 and the 700D are pretty similar, that it's like comparing a green apple to aother green apple.

2 minutes ago, ALwin said:

The 100D/SL1 and the 700D are pretty similar, that it's like comparing a green apple to aother green apple.

ok the 700d has turnable display and the 100d a thing for people with glasses (i have glasses). i think im more on the 700d side.

i will look for an adapter to the old nikon lenses. 

5 minutes ago, ChrisCross said:

ok the 700d has turnable display and the 100d a thing for people with glasses (i have glasses). i think im more on the 700d side.

i will look for an adapter to the old nikon lenses. 

In a previous comment I linked you to examples of lens adapters.

There are some Nikon lens to Canon body adapters with false chips that make the Canon body think that a 50mm prime lens is mounted on the camera.  Because the camera thinks that an actual Canon compatible lens is mounted, though the lens focus and aperture control are still going to be manual, the camera's internal exposure meter and focusing sensors will see through the lens and confirm manual focus and exposure shutter speed.  With this kind of adapter you can take photos using shutter priority (Tv) mode on a Canon.

Some lens adapters have an aperture control ring because more modern camera lenses do not have any ring on them to set the aperture.

7 minutes ago, ALwin said:

In a previous comment I linked you to examples of lens adapters.

There are some Nikon lens to Canon body adapters with false chips that make the Canon body think that a 50mm prime lens is mounted on the camera.  Because the camera thinks that an actual Canon compatible lens is mounted, though the lens focus and aperture control are still going to be manual, the camera's internal exposure meter and focusing sensors will see through the lens and confirm manual focus and exposure shutter speed.  With this kind of adapter you can take photos using shutter priority (Tv) mode on a Canon.

yeah im looking for old nikon lenses not the new nikon-f.

i will take a look at those old lenses when i get the oportunity.

4 minutes ago, ChrisCross said:

yeah im looking for old nikon lenses not the new nikon-f.

i will take a look at those old lenses when i get the oportunity.

When you say old Nikon lenses, how old?  Nikon has been making F-mount lenses since 1959.

Older Nikon lenses have the aperture ring to change it.  However having the false chip on the Canon adapter will still be useful as it will let the camera body's internal AF sensor to confirm your manual focus and meter through the lens.  The false chips usually makes the camera think that a 50mm f/1.8 lens is mounted.

I used such an adapter with my old Canon 5D mk II and Nikon lenses.  It was cheap and worth every penny spent.  Got it for like $20 off ebay.

i think they arent f. my dad would probably have used them if they were

1 minute ago, ChrisCross said:

i think they arent f. my dad would probably have used them if they were

Post a photo.

13 minutes ago, ALwin said:

Post a photo.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/758xjh5lxp1otf8/IMG_20160205_233248.jpg?dl=0

im pretty sure thats not all but thats all i can find right now

Those look like F-mount lenses to me.  Nikon AI-S lenses are SLR lenses.  And that's a Nikon F301 SLR, which is a F-mount body.

The reason your dad doesn't use them might be because entry level Nikon bodies like the D3300 do not come with full support for older lenses compared to higher end Nikon bodies like the D300s, D600, D800, etc.  While the lens can be mounted, because there isn't any electronic circuitry on the lens none of the Nikon cameras will detect that a lens is mounted.  However some Nikon bodies, usually the higher end models, have a setting in the menu that lets you take photos even if the camera doesn't detect a lens.  Which I believe is missing in the lower end of the Nikon cameras.

I don't have an entry level Nikon body or such an old lens, so I can't be sure. You will have to check.

Though the chart in the link I posted states that you should be able to use AI-S lenses with a D3300, on manual focus only.

8 minutes ago, ALwin said:

i will try

Those lenses will fit any Nikon camera, tho they are fully manual (Aperture and focus).

They should even fit and work on entry level Nikon SLRs but the camera may not meter correctly or at all. 

• 📷 🎞️ [ Polaroid SX-70 Land Camera • Praktica BC1 | Carl Zeiss Jena 35mm f2.4 Flektogon • Canon FTb | Canon 28mm f2.8 FD | Canon 50mm f1.8 FD • Fuji X100F • Nikon S3 - 50mm f1.4 | Nikon F3HP | Nikon F65 | Nikon D40X | Nikon D90 | Nikon D7000 | Nikon D750 | Nikon 28mm f2.8 D | Nikon 35mm f2 D | Nikon 35mm f1.8 DX | Nikon 50mm f1.8 D | Nikon 50mm f1.8 Ai-s | Nikon 60mm f2.8 G | Nikon 85mm f1.4 D | Kiron 28mm f2 Ai-s | Voigtlander 40mm f2 SLII | Voigtlander 58mm f1.4 SLII | Tokina 100mm f2.8 D Macro » Nikon 28-80mm f3.5-5.6 G | Nikon 80-200mm f2.8 D ED | Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 DX ]

• 🖥️  [ Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | Asus Prime Z370-A | i5 8600 | Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti FE | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 | Cooler Master MA610P | Corsair RM750 PSU | Samsung 500GB M.2 NvME | Crucial MX500 2TB | WD 2TB | *2 ASROCK USB 3.1 A/C 2-Port USB 3.1 PCI-E | TP-Link Archer AC 1750 PCIE WiFi ]

• 🖱️ 🎧 🎙️ [ *2 Dell U2515h • Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II | Audio Technica M50X | Sennheiser Momentum 2 wireless | Blue Yeti Microphone • Custom Keyboard | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum & Core | Logitech MX Master ]

• 💻 [ MacBook Pro 13" 2009 | Mac Mini 2012 | MacBook Pro 13" 2012 • Dell XPS 13" 9380]

• 📱 [ Nexus 7 2012 | Nexus 9 | Nexus 10 | Pixel C | Samsung Tab S9| • HTC Desire | Galaxy Nexus | Nexus 4 | Nexus 5 | LG G4 | LG G6 | Samsung S10 ]

4 minutes ago, Chrisokane said:

Those lenses will fit any Nikon camera, tho they are fully manual (Aperture and focus).

They should even fit and work on entry level Nikon SLRs but the camera may not meter correctly or at all. 

Yes, that's what is written in the compatibility chart.  I might have been confusing myself with another camera system.  I've gone through quite a few.

17 minutes ago, ALwin said:

that just worked fine! thanks guys. i think if got a lot to play around with now. i think i will buy another d3300 if i really need it.