Overclock problems with 4770k

Hey!

The other day, I finally put together my new machine. And I decided that I would overclock my 4770k just for now. So I tried to do 4.6 GHz and I turned up the voltage to 1.250. I logged in to my machine and started up Prime95. I do the standard torture test, and RealTemp is showing me that at max load on my CPU is at max 56 C which is pretty good. It keeps running for a couple of minutes, then the whole thing just blue screens. My first thought was that the CPU wasn't getting enough power, but then again this is Haswell, so power shouldn't be that much of a problem. So I bumped up the voltage to 1.300 just for testing. And this still happened. Got me another blue screen. I tried to turn the CPU Ratio thing close to my overclock (46), but when I ran Prime95 the whole computer would freeze after a couple of minutes. I have set my voltage to manual mode, so it won't change during testing. 

Not sure what I am doing wrong here. Can anyone help?

Specs:

i7 4770k 

2x EVGA SC ACX 780's

Asus Maximus VI Extreme

AX 1200i

Corsair Platinum 16 1866 MHz 

H110 

900 D

Set your LLC to Extreme, this will help in voltage spikes for your CPU. It seems you CPU is unstable and requires more voltage in order to keep a stable overclock at 4.6GHz, the prevent this you would have to up the voltage until it is either stable or reaches 95C. If it reaches 95C at 4.6GHz and is still unstable to will have to lower your frequency to 4.5GHz and work out the voltage from there.

Sam,

Intel Response Squad member

http://bit.ly/IntelRally

Try bump the voltage a little more, once you hit 4.5-4.6 on Haswell you need to push voltages alot more to go any further

Yeah, I tried to push the voltage all the way to 1.34. Same result. I'll go a little higher, Say 1.37? 

Set your LLC to Extreme, this will help in voltage spikes for your CPU. It seems you CPU is unstable and requires more voltage in order to keep a stable overclock at 4.6GHz, the prevent this you would have to up the voltage until it is either stable or reaches 95C. If it reaches 95C at 4.6GHz and is still unstable to will have to lower your frequency to 4.5GHz and work out the voltage from there.

Sam,

Ok! Thanks for the informative reply! I will try this! :) 

Try bump the voltage a little more, once you hit 4.5-4.6 on Haswell you need to push voltages alot more to go any further

And for the love of Linus, please bump that memory down... you are using memory (RAM) at higher speeds than the memory controller can handle, how do you expect it to run stable?

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

Ok! Thanks for the informative reply! I will try this! :)

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

The memory controller on haswell is actually fantastic. So I don't know what your talking about. 

It is designed to work with up to 1600MHz RAM, but you can overclock RAM speed and handle 2000MHz+ RAM as well as long as you aren't overclocking CPU.

Once you overclock CPU, the controller will get unstable using overclocked RAM. (Standard is up to 1600MHz).

So yea, he needs to set his RAM to 1600MHz or even 1333MHz and try again without bumping voltage of CPU up like a mad man. Might not be needed.

Tell that to the 1866 kit that ive OCed to 2133 on a 4.7Ghz 4670k

What you say may have been the case a few years back with older gen's, but since sandy memory OC's have been alot easier to achieve and with haswell it's very very easy, even with 2000Mhz+ kits

Tell that to this guy:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53547-bad-luck-with-the-cpu-i-got-i7-4770k/

You might get lucky but the rule of thumb is, memory controller only is supposed to work at 1600MHz. Higher is achievable but not always.

Which is completely false

It is not false.

Sam,

And for the love of Linus, please bump that memory down... you are using memory (RAM) at higher speeds than the memory controller can handle, how do you expect it to run stable?

I have bumped the voltage up to 1.37 and running @ 4.6 GHz. I also sat the memory down to 1600 MHz. The problem I'm facing now is that after a couple of minutes of running Prime95, the whole computer freezes. I can't do anything. Not even enter task manager or something like that. My temps is at max 72 C. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. 

don't use prime95 on an Haswell chip,

use OCCT to stress test on a Haswell.

http://www.ocbase.com/

You are being way too ambitious with your OC starting at 4.6ghz, try it at 4.0ghz, and work your way up from there.

likely hood is that your chip may not be able to do 4.6ghz, and if you get over 4.2ghz on 4770k you have done quite well.  

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

You're lucky to get 4.6, i cant even get 4.4 stable under 1.4v. I am currently running 4.3. I should have just upgraded to the 3770k.

I have bumped the voltage up to 1.37 and running @ 4.6 GHz. I also sat the memory down to 1600 MHz. The problem I'm facing now is that after a couple of minutes of running Prime95, the whole computer freezes. I can't do anything. Not even enter task manager or something like that. My temps is at max 72 C. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. 

Lower your overclock, your CPU needs more voltage and you're nearing the thermal limit. The extra 100MHz won't really make a difference anyway.

The Haswell chips I've had have all been finicky. The 4770k in my system is the 3rd one I've gone through and it's the only one to hold a good OC with decent temps. It really is a lottery with these chips, sadly.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide