WD Black : Okay to store games on it?

ClobberXD
Go to solution Solved by Captain_WD,
3 hours ago, anandgeforce said:

~snip~

Hey there anandgeforce :)

WD Black does have some improvements towards performance compared to other WD drives. It is designed to sustain heavier and longer workloads, perform better during multitasking, it's built as a more robust drive and does offer some improvement in speed. 
I would compare the speed of the specific model in the drive's spec sheet to the speed of your current drive. This should give you an idea if there's a point in upgrading the drive. What are you currently using? 

Most games tend to load rather fast and a SSD, which has about 3 to 4 times the speed of a regular storage drive brings those loading times roughly at half so the improvement of a WD Black shouldn't result in a dramatic differences, but it should have some effect on this. :) Here's the spec sheet of the WD Black drives: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=ayWwES

Feel free to ask if you happen to have questions :)

Captain_WD.

Are loading times fast if a game is stored on a WD Black?

Nothing to see here ;)

Define 'fast'. Obviously you'll see slightly faster loading times with the WD Black over something like the WD Blue but it's not going to be noticeable in everyday use.

That being said, SSDs are usually the way to go for faster loading times.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Yeah, why not ?!

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

It's alright, of course not SSD speeds, but as for HDD speeds it's quite fast.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

That depends on your definition of fast, and on exactly which drive you go with as the speeds differ. But to answer the question simply, no, load times are not fast (compared to those of a mid range SSD). Personally though, i store all of my games on a 1TB Seagate hard drive, whilst running my OS on an SSD. 

MAIN RIG | AMD R7 1800x @ 4.0GHz [cooled by Corsair h110i] | Zotac 1070 founders | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8gb |
| ASUS crosshair IV hero | Samsung 960 evo m.2 | Seagate 1TB + WD blue 2TB| Corsair HX750i | Phanteks evlov atx TG |
LAPTOP | HP zbook Workstation | Intel i7-4710 HQ @ 2.5GHz | 8gb ram | NVIDIA Quadro k1100m | 250gb + 250gb Crucial SSDs |

It depends on the game, but most of the time storing on a hard drive is totally fine.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Just now, Comic_Sans_MS said:

A Black is just as fast as a Blue.

They are both 7200RPM 64MB Cache drives.

Not exactly - the Black has additional firmware optimizations IIRC

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

9 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Define 'fast'. Obviously you'll see slightly faster loading times with the WD Black over something like the WD Blue but it's not going to be noticeable in everyday use.

That being said, SSDs are usually the way to go for faster loading times.

But even those don't benefit you to much. In CS the loading times are influenced by different weird factors. 3kphillips has a vid on it. 

I have also seen test where bf4 loading times were only faster for the first (and sometimes second loading screen). This was in mutliplayer with the map changing every new round. Need more elaborate info? So SSD only kind of help therefore a WD BLACK will porbably be close to not measurable difference. Storing games on it wouldn't hurt either. 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

No, they are still slow.

I dont know how SSD caching is developed right now. Might be good to check out.

Just go pure SSD.

18 minutes ago, anandgeforce said:

Are loading times fast if a game is stored on a WD Black?

I'd just get a WD red

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

12 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Not exactly - the Black has additional firmware optimizations IIRC

Agreed. I don't recallwhy but that they are fadter for some reason. 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                

Storing games on SSDs is close to impossible, as I cannot afford an SSD that is large enough to accomodate more than a few games.

But I understand that it is alright to store games on HDDs, right?

Thank you everyone!

P.S. How many mainstream "AAA" titles can comfortably fit in a 500GB Drive?

Nothing to see here ;)

1 minute ago, anandgeforce said:

Storing games on SSDs is close to impossible, as I cannot afford an SSD that is large enough to accomodate more than a few games.

But I understand that it is alright to store games on HDDs, right?

Thank you everyone!

P.S. How many mainstream "AAA" titles can comfortably fit in a 500GB Drive?

As many as you can fit. I'd say around 10-15 depending on the size (most range form 25 to 50GB)

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Just now, don_svetlio said:

As many as you can fit. I'd say around 10-15 depending on the size (most range form 25 to 50GB)

They are that large?!

Thanks anyway!

Nothing to see here ;)

Just now, anandgeforce said:

They are that large?!

Thanks anyway!

Recent ones yes. Witcher 3 is 40GB
GTA V is 50-60GB
MGS V is 25-40GB

15 minutes ago, anandgeforce said:

They are that large?!

Thanks anyway!

A lot of recent triple A titles can be that large, but there are plenty of small games out there - granted, they may be indie, but they're still there. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

3 hours ago, anandgeforce said:

~snip~

WD Black does have some improvements towards performance compared to other WD drives. It is designed to sustain heavier and longer workloads, perform better during multitasking, it's built as a more robust drive and does offer some improvement in speed. 
I would compare the speed of the specific model in the drive's spec sheet to the speed of your current drive. This should give you an idea if there's a point in upgrading the drive. What are you currently using? 

Most games tend to load rather fast and a SSD, which has about 3 to 4 times the speed of a regular storage drive brings those loading times roughly at half so the improvement of a WD Black shouldn't result in a dramatic differences, but it should have some effect on this. :) Here's the spec sheet of the WD Black drives: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=ayWwES

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

1 hour ago, Captain_WD said:

Captain_WD.

I have a Toshiba 500GB 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive. I'm sure the Black is much faster though...

Anyway, thanks a ton!!!

Nothing to see here ;)

2 hours ago, Captain_WD said:

Hey there anandgeforce

I'd like to see some measurements providing sufficient improvements that are at least close to half. I have never experienced that myself and seen measurement done by pcgh.de that disprove what you say (at least in the tested games)

3.Use

17 hours ago, GER_T4IGA said:

~snip~

As a Western Digital representative I can't really quote other companies and since Western Digital doesn't currently produce SSDs I can't give you info on that. You may try to look up some articles on the internet from the SSD manufacturers or simply look up "HDD vs SSD game load times" and check some results out. Depending on the specific game, you can see improvements that are up to 90% faster. Some games are written in a way that it simply takes a long time to load them regardless of the storage so the improvement there would not be that big. 

You can also check some comments from people on the forums that have experience with this. :)

Maybe the guys here that have games on SSDs can share some experience. 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/