On the fly overclock?

Hi everyone, I'm new to overclocking (haven't ever done it) and I had a few questions before I buy the part to a new build. My original plan was to build a mini-itx htpc/media server pc and have a separate one for gaming/workstation, but it would be much cheaper to just add extra storage to the planned gaming pc, but I have some questions before I decide which route to go.

Question 1. Does underclocking the cpu lower power consumption or do you need to undervolt it as well?

Question 2. Is there a way to overclock the cpu on the fly with some software or hardware such as the asus OC station (the compatibility list says it doesn't work with newer motherboards but just as an example)?

Question 3. Is it ok to keep voltages at stock if I underclock the cpu, or do I also have to undervolt the cpu.

These questions are because I don't want the computer to use a lot of power when no one is using it and its just running as a media server (probably plex), and I don't want to restart the computer to get normal clock speeds every time I do decide to start working on the computer.

If you want it to use less power idle go for a 4670k. Haswell go into this power stage called c6 (or c7?) when idle, and it greatly reduces all power drawn to almost nothing. So manually undervolting your CPU won't be necessary. 

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 @ Stock, CPU cooler: Dark Rock 4, Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX, RAM: 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 @ 3000Mhz, GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 ACX 3.0, SSD: Crucial P1 1TB M.2 + 2x120GB SSDs, Case: Corsair 110R, PSU: Corsair TX650M, OS: Windows 10 64-bit.

most motherboards have a OC button on them to just do a quick OC of the CPU, i've never heard of problems with it but then again I never used it :P

If you want it to use less power idle go for a 4670k. Haswell go into this power stage called c6 (or c7?) when idle, and it greatly reduces all power drawn to almost nothing. So manually undervolting your CPU won't be necessary. 

That would be perfect (I plan on getting a 4770k), but I was looking at some power draw benchmarks and most of them showed that the idle power draw was increased when the cpu was overclocked. So the overclocked (stock compared to an underclocked) cpu is still using more power or am I missing something?

That would be perfect (I plan on getting a 4770k), but I was looking at some power draw benchmarks and most of them showed that the idle power draw was increased when the cpu was overclocked. So the overclocked (stock compared to an underclocked) cpu is still using more power or am I missing something?

Was the CPU in the benchmarks underclocking and undervolting itself? Were they enabling all the extra C states?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2013/06/01/intel-core-i7-4770k-cpu-review/7

If you look on the second chart (idle power), the overclocked cpu uses about 20% more power than the stock one and that is for the whole system so the cpu itself is using more than 20% more power than stock version.

How do you enable the C states?

They stated this

For all of the performance tests, we disable all power-saving technology in order to give us a consistent set of results

The C states settings are found in the BIOS. In the power settings.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Hi everyone, I'm new to overclocking (haven't ever done it) and I had a few questions before I buy the part to a new build. My original plan was to build a mini-itx htpc/media server pc and have a separate one for gaming/workstation, but it would be much cheaper to just add extra storage to the planned gaming pc, but I have some questions before I decide which route to go.

Question 1. Does underclocking the cpu lower power consumption or do you need to undervolt it as well?

Question 2. Is there a way to overclock the cpu on the fly with some software or hardware such as the asus OC station (the compatibility list says it doesn't work with newer motherboards but just as an example)?

Question 3. Is it ok to keep voltages at stock if I underclock the cpu, or do I also have to undervolt the cpu.

These questions are because I don't want the computer to use a lot of power when no one is using it and its just running as a media server (probably plex), and I don't want to restart the computer to get normal clock speeds every time I do decide to start working on the computer.

My answers are regarding Ivy Bridge but it should remain true for other CPU generations.

Answer 1. If by under-clocking you mean reducing the default voltage at stock then yes. You can do it either via manually or +/- offset voltages.

Answer 2. Yes. You can use ASUS AI suite but i prefer using the auto tuner first for AI Suite to make needed changes in the UEFI and from there i tweak it. IMO it is a more comprehensive approach to overclocking for a first time OCer

Answer 3. It is ok but you will be making higher temperatures for nothing as voltage creates heat.

With that being said you didn't mention what CPU you are talking about. If it is a CPU built for overclocking why under clock it? If you have a enzo ferrari you would not drive it like a prius would you? 

OC THE DAMN THING once you got the proper cooling of course.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

My answers are regarding Ivy Bridge but it should remain true for other CPU generations.

Answer 1. If by under-clocking you mean reducing the default voltage at stock then yes. You can do it either via manually or +/- offset voltages.

Answer 2. Yes. You can use ASUS AI suite but i prefer using the auto tuner first for AI Suite to make needed changes in the UEFI and from there i tweak it. IMO it is a more comprehensive approach to overclocking for a first time OCer

Answer 3. It is ok but you will be making higher temperatures for nothing as voltage creates heat.

With that being said you didn't mention what CPU you are talking about. If it is a CPU built for overclocking why under clock it? If you have a enzo ferrari you would not drive it like a prius would you? 

OC THE DAMN THING once you got the proper cooling of course.

I plan on using the i7-4770k, and I wanted to underclock it when i'm not using it very much. I plan on making this computer my media server as well as a workstation so when I am using it just as a media server I don't want it to run overclocked for no reason. Do you keep an enzo at 5000rpm when driving in a parking lot?

I plan on using the i7-4770k, and I wanted to underclock it when i'm not using it very much. I plan on making this computer my media server as well as a workstation so when I am using it just as a media server I don't want it to run overclocked for no reason. Do you keep an enzo at 5000rpm when driving in a parking lot?

Yes! Light it up, if you afford the car the tyres + fuel + fine for lighting it up is negligible.

On a more serious note so long as you don't override the power management settings (which you won't need to unless pushing for a heft clock) the cpu's are pretty power conservative without you having to manually set it (intel speedstep is the reason most of us don't use 24/7 clocks anymore it is reliable and brings the cpu back to sweet FA when it is doing sweet FA).

i5-3570k @ 4.4ghz (1.240v) || Asrock extreme 4 || CM Hyper 212 evo

Samsung 840 || WD blue 1tb || WD green 1tb || Powercolor 7870 xt @ (1200 mhz core : 1500 mhz mem)