Windows 10 overtakes Windows 8.1 and XP.

GoodBytes

Microsoft went Oprah with Windows 10, then mmerged every result.

Windows 10 Phone? Windows 10 PC? Windows 10? All statistics I'd like to know, separately.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

4 hours ago, AresKrieger said:

Looks like it won't catch up to windows 7 until after free upgrades are discontinued if that graphs trends continue, though I suspect that can be attributed to corporate sectors who don't care about the new features and would rather not deal with any potential problems switching OSs may cause.

Okay but they likely are going to start the process of switching over because of the support for Windows 7 ending before expected. Transitioning takes a year plus and $100k+ for large businesses to transition. Governments take years and millions to as well so expect the Win 10 % to rise sharply in the next 2-3 years.

4 hours ago, abyss03 said:

I've tried most things, but his friend who thinks he knows computers said it was fine because he had antivirus... 

XP is alright if you only stick to a few specific websites. Considering how vulnerable Windows 7 still is at the moment, and will be when full support is dropped in 2020, your screwed either way, just easier to screw when using XP.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

6 hours ago, Deli said:

Many people got better things to do than re-learning new OS every few years.

you make it sound like it's learning a new human language. I know some people have troubles and believe the learning curve is insane. but you and I both know its minimal. you can go from XP to 10 in a weekend. Less if you're migrating from win7.

1 hour ago, Flashport said:

you make it sound like it's learning a new human language. I know some people have troubles and believe the learning curve is insane. but you and I both know its minimal. you can go from XP to 10 in a weekend. Less if you're migrating from win7.

Believe it or not, when our company upgraded from XP to 8.1 in 2014. Everyone must attend training sessions to make sure people knew what they were doing.

Although I've to admit. Having used 7 & 8.1. Windows 10 is a real piece of cake.

10 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

When does the "free year to upgrade" end?

July 31st or August 1st, within that 24 hour period.

It wouldn't surprise me if this was extended, i think one of the factors in microsoft want everyone on 10 is its going to be less work for them, and more cost effective for them to be just supporting one OS rather than three or four....sure they do seem to want your data too, that they may make money off aswell, but its not the only reason. 

Honestly 10 is a real nice windows OS, it didn't blow me away the way windows 7 did when that launched, that OS was just amazing from beta, but 10 has just got better and better with each update, its very very stable for me, the windows Auto updates i really haven't had them do anything bad or harmful to my computers, if this is the way Microsoft wanted updates to work, the kudos to them as they have been flawless for me and un-noticed which is a good thing. I run pro so my experience maybe different that others that use home.

I have dual boot with windows 7 on my other SSD, i hardly ever boot into 7, and when i do i want out of it as quickly as possible, pure and simply it just isn't as good as 10 to use for me anymore, it drives my nuts that the task bar is only on one of my 3 screens, and the snap feels so basic now. Quite frankly they only reason i keep the 7 install is just in case there is a file on there that i need that i haven't backed up....or an old email that i need, or maybe i find a program that won't run in 10, a game that runs better in 7 (not many do).....i'm seriously thinking of just wiping that SSD, as the boot sector is fucked now (thanks grub) and have to boot from windows 10 to get into it now ( i can't be arsed fixing it, it's functional enough for me) and using it for games.

So if you are hesitating upgrading, i would say do it, get all the privacy tools to stop it sending data to Microsoft if you want, and i don't think you'll regret it, The learning curve is very easy, its not windows 8 where you installed it, and your head exploded, it's more of a nice blending of windows 7 and 8.1. 

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

2 minutes ago, super_skank said:

July 31st or August 1st, within that 24 hour period.

It wouldn't surprise me if this was extended, i think one of the factors in microsoft want everyone on 10 is its going to be less work for them, and more cost effective for them to be just supporting one OS rather than three or four....sure they do seem to want your data too, that they may make money off aswell, but its not the only reason. 

Honestly 10 is a real nice windows OS, it didn't blow me away the way windows 7 did when that launched, that OS was just amazing from beta, but 10 has just got better and better with each update, its very very stable for me, the windows Auto updates i really haven't had them do anything bad or harmful to my computers, if this is the way Microsoft wanted updates to work, the kudos to them as they have been flawless for me and un-noticed which is a good thing. I run pro so my experience maybe different that others that use home.

I have dual boot with windows 7 on my other SSD, i hardly ever boot into 7, and when i do i want out of it as quickly as possible, pure and simply it just isn't as good as 10 to use for me anymore, it drives my nuts that the task bar is only on one of my 3 screens, and the snap feels so basic now. Quite frankly they only reason i keep the 7 install is just in case there is a file on there that i need that i haven't backed up....or an old email that i need, or maybe i find a program that won't run in 10, a game that runs better in 7 (not many do).....i'm seriously thinking of just wiping that SSD, as the boot sector is fucked now (thanks grub) and have to boot from windows 10 to get into it now ( i can't be arsed fixing it, it's functional enough for me) and using it for games.

So if you are hesitating upgrading, i would say do it, get all the privacy tools to stop it sending data to Microsoft if you want, and i don't think you'll regret it, The learning curve is very easy, its not windows 8 where you installed it, and your head exploded, it's more of a nice blending of windows 7 and 8.1. 

Ok thank you. Until then I will have the new mashine up and running so I can use the free Win 8.1 I have laying around.

I never get used to 8.1, but now it truns to be useful.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

On 01/02/2016 at 3:14 PM, Nexxus said:

lol xboxs running windows 10, the XB UI has about as much in common with windows 10 as windows 3.1

And Ubuntu has as much in common with Arch as SteamOS, they're all still Linux though.

The Xbone is running the Windows 10 kernel, its pretty heavily modified but in essence its still Windows 10.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

And Ubuntu has as much in common with Arch as SteamOS, they're all still Linux though.

The Xbone is running the Windows 10 kernel, its pretty heavily modified but in essence its still Windows 10.

I just think its kinda a streatch to add the xbo to these figures esp since its not like xbox users have an option, annnnnnnnnd frankly id rather they kept the old one (and I would of if given the option)..while its not bad like the later xb360 dashboards (blades 4 lyfe y0) it did needlessly shuffle things around

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

1 minute ago, Nexxus said:

I just think its kinda a streatch to add the xbo to these figures esp since its not like xbox users have an option, annnnnnnnnd frankly id rather they kept the old one (and I would of if given the option)..while its not bad like the later xb360 dashboards (blades 4 lyfe y0) it did needlessly shuffle things around

Oh yeah, I'd agree with that. Including Xbone & WP10 figures in the Win 10 user statistics is not what MS should be doing.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, Master Disaster said:

Oh yeah, I'd agree with that. Including Xbone & WP10 figures in the Win 10 user statistics is not what MS should be doing.

ya but..inflating numbers to shareholders/people not paying enough attention lol.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

3 minutes ago, Nexxus said:

ya but..inflating numbers to shareholders/people not paying enough attention lol.

Yup, and they sell it to the shareholders by claiming they're consolidating their product range.