Dutch Government Starts Program to Hunt Drones, with Birds

Centurius
12 hours ago, Centurius said:

Well they're going for multiple approaches, using other drones is one as well but apparently it's easier to train the birds to take the drone to a safe area where it can no longer hurt civilians. Basically security services will determine on a case by case basis which is better.

Agreed, the birds already have their own defences though and they're looking into getting some kind of armour to protect them.

Oh F**K YES! Armored drones with LASERS!

- snip-

2 hours ago, obsidian1200 said:

I can't express how much I love this idea, though I'm reminded of that scene in the Nolan Batman films where they're talking about escalation. Coming soon for your drones, anti-eagle LASER GUNS.

Ftfy.

- snip-

1 hour ago, josap said:

Although drones are being worked on this is more stealthy and it this means it is more effective.

" make it impossible for the bird to land properly until someone untangles the bird and drone.  "\

This is more what I'm concerned with. Plus there's no real need for stealth as your target is very "unstealthy" in the first place.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

5 hours ago, Bensemus said:

This doesn't really seem like a good idea. There are already intercept drones being worked on. This puts the bird in danger and it seems to incapacitate the bird as well. It looks like the bird has a strip of cloth attached to each ankle which help catch the drone but make it impossible for the bird to land properly until someone untangles the bird and drone. 

nope, that's one of your basic falconry gear known as jess, it's what a falconer uses to make sure that his bird doesn't fly away

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

All we've got to do is Strap them Eagles up in some Badass Armour, like these kick ass Owl's.

LEGEND_GUARDIANS_OWLS_GAHOOLE_fantasy_owl_owls_legends_family_1920x1080.jpg

Cpu: Intel i5 4690k @3.5 Ghz*cooled by Corsair Hydro H105* | Case: NZXT H440 Black/Green | Motherbord: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK Black Edition Ram: Avexir Venom 16GB
Video Card: Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX980 4GB | Power Supply: Corsair TX850 | SSD: Samsung 500GB 850 Pro SSD: Samsung 500GB 840 Pro 
Monitor: ASUS 27" ROG Swift G-Sync 144mhz | Keyboard: Logitech G710+  | Mouse: Logitech G700s| Headset: Logitech G35 | Speakers: Logitech X530 5.1
NAS Set-up: Netgear ReadyNAS 104 "populated by 4 x 2TB Western Digital Red in RAID 6"

13 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Snip

I figured but that doesn't mean they are not getting caught in the drone. 

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

8 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

I know it's intended purpose is not to tangle up with the drone but that's what it's doing. Unless they are going to be releasing the birds directly from cages they will have the strips and those will get caught in the drone. 

laptop

Just now, Bensemus said:

I know it's intended purpose is not to tangle up with the drone but that's what it's doing. Unless they are going to be releasing the birds directly from cages they will have the strips and those will get caught in the drone. 

those stripe s are quite large and made of leather (for the majority), hard to imagine them get tangled

Aylmer-Eagle-Jess.jpg

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

snip

In the video, every time it showed the eagle after it caught the drone it was always tangled up with it.

laptop

As someone who owns a rather large "Drone", I say good luck to an sort of bird of prey taking my TBS Discovery down, especially when it's spinning 15 inch carbon propellers at a few thousand RPM. 

Edit: I forgot to mention the example that they showed was a Toy grade Syma x8c, which by all accounts is a joke of an example. 

Cpu: i5-2500k @4.8Ghz, MB: Asus Maximus V Formula, CPU cooler: Be quiet! Dark rock pro 2, GPU: Evga Gtx660 FTW@1.24ghz. Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866Mhz, PSU: Be quiet! 730w Semi modular, SSD: Corsair force 3 240Gb, HDD: WD Green 1TB, Case: Nzxt H2 with 4 Corsair SP120's, Win7