doing html web programming in high school

DominicNikon

im doing virtual basic coding plus html web programming. is html well known? have any tips for programming in html? 

4 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

im doing virtual basic coding plus html web programming. is html well known? have any tips for programming in html? 

Codecademy has tutorials in details. Really easy to learn it there

NEEVS

3 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

Codeacdemy. That's were I learnt HTML

https://www.codecademy.com/

Wow this was old as heck, Need to update this signature!

Never heard of virtual basic (visual basic). HTML is not a programming language but its a markup language. Web programming is done through languages like php or javascript.

Anyways HTML can be learned through codecademy.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

HTML is a great way to begin with web development, I suggest you learn CSS as well when you become comfortable with HTML, this will allow you to make nice looking web pages. Once you're comfortable with CSS move onto Javascript, this will allow you to make awesome interactive sites. Practice a lot too... your sites are going to look ugly and boxy at first but don't expect to be making something amazing your first try. Good luck

My recommendation is to jump to http://www.freecodecamp.com/ It's a really good website to learn about Front-End (HTML/CSS/JS) and Back-End (Node, Express, MongoDB, APIs) also you can get a certification for what you need and you will work on real projects.  They also have a large community that is willing to help.

Okay, so I will explain a few things.

HTML is NOT programming, it is a markup language. What is a markup language? A language that defines contents, types of contents as well as some additional functionality.

You will need to learn HTML, then CSS, then JavaScript, then jQuery, then a front end framework, then a programming language and then a web framework in that language + other technologies and tools (terminal commands, git, debugging etc.). It is quite a lot and it's explained well in that video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB0WvcxTbCA

I discourage people from using Codecademy and pages like that, and there are several reasons why:

1. Most of those sites run in isolated environments, so you don't get to use real-life technologies, you don't learn how an interpreter or a compiler works and such.
  2. You can't experiment; you only have the closed environment and tasks. You can't just play around with those technologies (because of reason number 1), and playing around is perfect learning experience.
  3. You won't learn everything on such site, it's good to get used to reading official guides, APIs and use all "scrap" you find on the internet from day 1, since it is going to be what you'll need to be doing after completing such course.
  4. Because those courses are like a path, you can't really skip some things that will be useless to you. For example you don't need to learn about making JS libraries (creating objects and such) if you're just going to do simple website scripting with JQuery.

There probably are few more reasons, but those are off the top of my head.

For the basic things things, I've heard lots of good about guides at MDN (Mozilla Developer Network), but didn't try any of them. That website also provides you with reference for the basic 3 - HTML, CSS and JS. Most other languages, frameworks and libraries have guides and reference on their websites, which are perfect learning material.

Just a word of caution - you don't need to learn something that's called "DOM Manipulation" in JavaScript, since jQuery will make it much easier to do.

Some other resources I can recommend are: YT channel "Derek Banas"; he does lots of good videos, but they are very fast phased and rather for revision purposes, tutorialspoint.com has many tutorials, some of them are really good, but most of them aren't quite right. Nonetheless, it is still a site that I'm using quite often.

Good luck on your journey :)

I'd second Gachr's comments on HTML & a markup language being very different to a programming language. If you're using VB together with HTML for this, you're likely getting into something known as ASP.Net so would want to search tutorials on that.

Aside from the resources already mentioned, http://www.w3schools.com can come in very useful too.

1 hour ago, alex_read said:

I'd second Gachr's comments on HTML & a markup language being very different to a programming language. If you're using VB together with HTML for this, you're likely getting into something known as ASP.Net so would want to search tutorials on that.

Aside from the resources already mentioned, http://www.w3schools.com can come in very useful too.

w3schools is an ok resource for the beginning (I used it too) but it's generally regarded as bad.

Bad because...? please explain. Are you referring specifically to the tutorials or the backend content & how?

I haven't used this in a few years but always found it nice as a resource for consice code snippets from the HTML & CSS sides at least. I haven't run through the tutorials section or coding areas so am interested to hear what's wrong here.

1 hour ago, alex_read said:

Bad because...? please explain. Are you referring specifically to the tutorials or the backend content & how?

I haven't used this in a few years but always found it nice as a resource for consice code snippets from the HTML & CSS sides at least. I haven't run through the tutorials section or coding areas so am interested to hear what's wrong here.

This is the general opinion. I personally found their tutorials not very useful as they didn't teach many important things about said technologies.

12 minutes ago, Gachr said:

This is the general opinion. I personally found their tutorials not very useful as they didn't teach many important things about said technologies.

Ok thanks - I'll stop automatically directing others there. I appreciate the answer & it's good to learn their tutorials might not be upto much then (which is a real shame as the reference part of the site always used to be pretty decent I thought).

Back to the OP question too, for ASP.Net I could recommend the Wrox book series. They're written pretty straight forward with plenty of samples & they aren't too heavy going. It won't teach you the HTML or CSS sides you'll be learning (the books are aimed more at dragging & dropping buttons, textboxes onto a page container automatically without "properly" writing or styling them but then they dive into using the VB side to interact with those fields). There's a beginning asp.net with visual basic (I believe it's called) one then on the back cover a branching tree diagram to take you through to different next levels depending where you want to take your studies & career as you progress (i.e. series on more advanced web design perhaps, databases to fetch &/or store website data from/to, shopping cart implementation, architecture or more in depth .net language programming). These were one of the resources I used (way back before the explosion of online training sites or at least affordable ones). Good luck whichever way you choose!

20 hours ago, Gachr said:

Okay, so I will explain a few things.

HTML is NOT programming, it is a markup language. What is a markup language? A language that defines contents, types of contents as well as some additional functionality.

You will need to learn HTML, then CSS, then JavaScript, then jQuery, then a front end framework, then a programming language and then a web framework in that language + other technologies and tools (terminal commands, git, debugging etc.). It is quite a lot and it's explained well in that video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB0WvcxTbCA

I discourage people from using Codecademy and pages like that, and there are several reasons why:

1. Most of those sites run in isolated environments, so you don't get to use real-life technologies, you don't learn how an interpreter or a compiler works and such.
  2. You can't experiment; you only have the closed environment and tasks. You can't just play around with those technologies (because of reason number 1), and playing around is perfect learning experience.
  3. You won't learn everything on such site, it's good to get used to reading official guides, APIs and use all "scrap" you find on the internet from day 1, since it is going to be what you'll need to be doing after completing such course.
  4. Because those courses are like a path, you can't really skip some things that will be useless to you. For example you don't need to learn about making JS libraries (creating objects and such) if you're just going to do simple website scripting with JQuery.

There probably are few more reasons, but those are off the top of my head.

For the basic things things, I've heard lots of good about guides at MDN (Mozilla Developer Network), but didn't try any of them. That website also provides you with reference for the basic 3 - HTML, CSS and JS. Most other languages, frameworks and libraries have guides and reference on their websites, which are perfect learning material.

Just a word of caution - you don't need to learn something that's called "DOM Manipulation" in JavaScript, since jQuery will make it much easier to do.

Some other resources I can recommend are: YT channel "Derek Banas"; he does lots of good videos, but they are very fast phased and rather for revision purposes, tutorialspoint.com has many tutorials, some of them are really good, but most of them aren't quite right. Nonetheless, it is still a site that I'm using quite often.

Good luck on your journey :)

do you need software to code? i know of adobe edge and adobe muse. do you think it would be good if i got some background info before high school so i have a idea of what im doing?

4 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

do you need software to code? i know of adobe edge and adobe muse. do you think it would be good if i got some background info before high school so i have a idea of what im doing?

You don't need software to code, but you do need software to run the code. For HTML, CSS and JS it's the browser, for scripting languages (Python, Ruby etc.) it's an interpreter (for JS, it's in the browser, but you can also get a normal one - Node.js). Compiled languages (C, Go, Java etc.) need a compiler to compile the code.

1 minute ago, Gachr said:

You don't need software to code, but you do need software to run the code. For HTML, CSS and JS it's the browser, for scripting languages (Python, Ruby etc.) it's an interpreter (for JS, it's in the browser, but you can also get a normal one - Node.js). Compiled languages (C, Go, Java etc.) need a compiler to compile the code.

To add to that, it helps to use a text editor that's made with programmers in mind when writing the code. Sure Notepad will work, but it's not that enjoyable of an experience. At a minimum, you want syntax highlighting so things are a bit more readable, however they come with more features than just that and usually support extensions. There are plenty of options like Notepad++, Brackets, Atom, Visual Studio Code, Sublime Text, Vim, Emacs, etc.