Type BBCode instead of using the GUI

patrick3027
Go to solution Solved by colonel_mortis,

Unfortunately, BBCode is not supported by the editor, and it would be a lot of work to add it properly. Hopefully, once you get used to the editor and some of the bugs are fixed, you will find that you don't need BBCode at all.

In theory, most of the bugs to do with quotes in the editor should be fixed in the next few months by the forum software developers (they are planning to spend some time focussing on usability and editor bugs).

It seems like the feature to view the code behind the post has been removed. Is this a permanent change?

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

They said they were going to.

As long as the quote bug (not being able to type after a quote box, instead typing inside) is gone, I don't really mind.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

10 minutes ago, Elapo said:

They said they were going to.

As long as the quote bug (not being able to type after a quote box, instead typing inside) is gone, I don't really mind.

Thats mobile issue only. As far as I can see. And its been there since Beta.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Just now, LoGiCalDrm said:

Thats mobile issue only. As far as I can see. And its been there since Beta.

I've had that issue on my PC since forever.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

Unfortunately, BBCode is not supported by the editor, and it would be a lot of work to add it properly. Hopefully, once you get used to the editor and some of the bugs are fixed, you will find that you don't need BBCode at all.

In theory, most of the bugs to do with quotes in the editor should be fixed in the next few months by the forum software developers (they are planning to spend some time focussing on usability and editor bugs).

HTTP/2 203

14 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

Aww, but I liked formatting everything using BBCode :(

1 hour ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Aww, but I liked formatting everything using BBCode :(

You're not the only one. mortis and I made ourselves quite unpopular with the developers on their forum when we protested the removal of BBCode. They did not react too kindly to our feedback, to say the least :D. But everything gets converted to HTML5 with the new forum software, so as the colonel said, hacking BBCode back into it so that it would actually work properly would be a monumental task.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Just now, alpenwasser said:

You're not the only one. mortis and I made ourselves quite unpopular with the developers on their forum when we protested the removal of BBCode. They did not react too kindly to our feedback, to say the least :D. But everything gets converted to HTML5 with the new forum software, so as the colonel said, hacking BBCode back into it so that it would actually work properly would be a monumental task.

I mainly use it on mobile :P

I mainly use it on mobile :P

I used BBCode for pretty much everything to be honest, and do rather miss it. But ah well, such is life. I suppose I'll get used to the new editor.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

2 hours ago, alpenwasser said:

I used BBCode for pretty much everything to be honest, and do rather miss it. But ah well, such is life. I suppose I'll get used to the new editor.

I guess it is like windows XP in a way... Its good but its old...

I guess it is like windows XP in a way... Its good but its old...

Not according to the IPB devs! Their tirades against BBCode were actually quite funny. :D

Honestly though, I don't so much need or want BBCode, I would just like more fine-grained control over my posts than a rich text editor usually offers (plus, I prefer never having to use my mouse, so I'd rather type out

[url=something]linky[/url]

on my keyboard than move my hand to the mouse and then click stuff, although at least for some things there are keyboard shortcuts). But it could also be something other than BBCode, like a Markdown-style kinda thing or even something else. 

BBCode was also quite useful when copy - pasting articles for the news section without copying the formatting of the original website . Let's hope this change doesn't result in more issues for people using the dark theme. 

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

5 hours ago, patrick3027 said:

BBCode was also quite useful when copy - pasting articles for the news section without copying the formatting of the original website . Let's hope this change doesn't result in more issues for people using the dark theme. 

Paste using ctrl + shift + V

It removes formatting

this new forums gives me headaches when trying to post news articles, I posted two block quotes and moved the text between them, but when I wanted to insert new text between those block quotes, I found it impossible - I quit ...

without a proper code view, I can't do any formatting - it would mean I'd have to write all the text in something else (Notepad) and then paste it here
personally, it's not worth the hassle and I will stop posting in the news section until something is done about this

I said it before and I'll say it again: if it ain't broke, don't fix it

42 minutes ago, zMeul said:

this new forums gives me headaches when trying to post news articles, I posted two block quotes and moved the text between them, but when I wanted to insert new text between those block quotes, I found it impossible - I quit ...

without a proper code view, I can't do any formatting - it would mean I'd have to write all the text in something else (Notepad) and then paste it here
personally, it's not worth the hassle and I will stop posting here until something is done about this

I said it before and I'll say it again: if it ain't broke, don't fix it

We, and the forum software developers, are aware that quotes are a bit broken, and, as far as I know, they are planning to make significant improvements to how the editor works in the next few months.

HTTP/2 203

22 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

We, and the forum software developers, are aware that quotes are a bit broken, and, as far as I know, they are planning to make significant improvements to how the editor works in the next few months.

I will wait .. a few months :(

seriously, this should've been tested before implementing it live - I do not understand why the rush

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

seriously, this should've been tested before implementing it live - I do not understand why the rush

Problem is, at some point the benefits of the new forum will outweigh its downsides compared to the old forum. We waited quite a long time to upgrade, but we can't just keep postponing forever until the IPS devs have fixed everything we'd like them to fix. Then we'd probably never upgrade at all. We actually also looked at getting a better editor than the stock one and hacking that into IPS4, but it turned out to not really be feasible.

I do miss BBCode, most definitely. But apparently it's "old, and horrible, and terrible, and archaic, and blablablabla" (or so mortis and I were told when we objected to  BBCode being removed). I feel your pain, I really do, but unfortunately other factors were also important in deciding when and how to ugprade, and in the end they just outweighed the editor issues.

23 minutes ago, alpenwasser said:

Problem is, at some point the benefits of the new forum will outweigh its downsides compared to the old forum. We waited quite a long time to upgrade, but we can't just keep postponing forever until the IPS devs have fixed everything we'd like them to fix. Then we'd probably never upgrade at all. We actually also looked at getting a better editor than the stock one and hacking that into IPS4, but it turned out to not really be feasible.

I do miss BBCode, most definitely. But apparently it's "old, and horrible, and terrible, and archaic, and blablablabla" (or so mortis and I were told when we objected to  BBCode being removed). I feel your pain, I really do, but unfortunately other factors were also important in deciding when and how to ugprade, and in the end they just outweighed the editor issues.

IP Board without BBCode is like .. FaceBook xD
and I don't use FaceBook

even bloody reddit has formatting; basic as it is, is still better

----

testing 

[center]test[/center]

test

that ^ works, barely because if the next line I want it with left alignment I have to use

test

[left]test[/left]

25 minutes ago, zMeul said:

It was tested. We were in public beta for about a month, and private alpha/beta for longer than that.

While some people had some issues with the editor, overall the feedback was that it's a big improvement, and that, although it's not perfect, we should upgrade the main site.

The editor isn't that bad though really. If you type your text below the quote, then move the quote below the text, that should work. As long as you're on desktop, almost all the editor bugs can be worked around (on mobile, it is less straight forward unfortunately).

Most BBCode should still work, it's just not possible to convert content from the rich editor, or content that has already been submitted, to BBCode.

HTTP/2 203

3 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

It was tested. We were in public beta for about a month, and private alpha/beta for longer than that.

While some people had some issues with the editor, overall the feedback was that it's a big improvement, and that, although it's not perfect, we should upgrade the main site.

The editor isn't that bad though really. If you type your text below the quote, then move the quote below the text, that should work. As long as you're on desktop, almost all the editor bugs can be worked around (on mobile, it is less straight forward unfortunately).

Most BBCode should still work, it's just not possible to convert content from the rich editor, or content that has already been submitted, to BBCode.

test

add text between those two block quotes

hmm, I must've done something wrong because the move cursor didn't showed before :/