saving up for headphones, 300$ limit

Lauen

hello! I'll be saving up for new headphones, as I want something better than my Sennheiser PC 360's eventually. I might also get a mod mic, but I'm not sure how easy it is having it shipped to Norway. 

Things you might want to know: I'll be saving up a maximum of 320$ (equivalent of 2000 NOK, a nice round number)

I listen to like 95% metal, and I watch series and movies frequently (mostly action and horror).

I want it to be comfortable and over-ear, like my PC360's and my Siberia v2. 

I rarely game anymore, I play a little bit of League of Legends, but not much else. 

I like the sound of my PC 360's, open, clear, nice bass, and "tight". 

I'm not sure wether I want closed cans, as the PC 360's are quite open, and I like the noise they output, and sometimes it is nice hearing what people say without having to take them off. 

I am using an ASUS Xonar D2X soundcard, so high-impedance headphones are no problem. please, someone explain why some have different impedances, and how it can affect the sound.

Also, I have tried a friends pair of Beats by Dr. Dre Pro, and I didn't like how it sounded at all. 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

hello! I'll be saving up for new headphones, as I want something better than my Sennheiser PC 360's eventually. I might also get a mod mic, but I'm not sure how easy it is having it shipped to Norway. 

Things you might want to know: I'll be saving up a maximum of 320$ (equivalent of 2000 NOK, a nice round number)

I listen to like 95% metal, and I watch series and movies frequently (mostly action and horror).

I rarely game anymore, I play a little bit of League of Legends, but not much else. 

I'm not sure wether I want closed cans, as the PC 360's are quite open, and I like the noise they output, and sometimes it is nice hearing what people say without having to take them off. 

I am using an ASUS Xonar D2X soundcard, so high-impedance headphones are no problem. please, someone explain why some have different impedances, and how it can affect the sound.

Also, I have tried a friends pair of Beats by Dr. Dre Pro, and I didn't like how it sounded at all. 

one of my friends was very happy about the Beyerdynamic DT 880  pro 

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Please do NOT get beats..

Cpu: Intel core i5 4570 gpu: gtx 770 case: cm storm enforcer psu: xfx pro 550w motherboard: asus b85m-g ssd: samsung 120gb hdd: wd caviar blue 1tb ram: kingston hyperx blu 8gb 1600mhz mouse: razer deathadder monitor: some decent samsung 19" keyboard: CM Storm TK Blue

Please do NOT get beats..

I wasn't planning on it, I was just saying that I didn't like the sound of it, so people wouldn't recommend similarly sounding things. 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

that's too much, I only found them for about 373 euros in reliable shops. 

Thomann seem fine from what i've seen, they sell lots of equipment up to thousands of euros and have returns policies and everything. What was your reservation?

Headset

95% metal? For that you want to stray into ultrasone and grados territory. But the sennheiser HD 598 are the best all rounder. You can even spend whatevers left on an amp. 

•  i7 4770k @4.5ghz 1.248v • Noctua NHD14  •  ASUS MAXIMUS VI Hero •  Asus STIRIX 980 Ti •

•  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16Gb  •  Samsung 840 250gb + Samsung 1TB 7200RPM •  BenQ XL2430T 144Hz  •

•  Fractal Design R4  •  CoolerMaster GX650 80+ •  Razer Deathadder Chroma  •  Filco Ninja 2 Red  •  HD600/HE-4/ Fiio E17  • 

A headphone that might tickle your pickle, would be Grado's, since I don't know how much they might cost in Norway, or how much shipping/import might bone you, I'm just going to say get the pair that fit the price point that you like. Though they only make open headphones so they are not portable in the slightest. Grado claims to make a headphone specifically designed for acoustic music, but I find them to be some of the best all around headphones out there. 

Best Grados headphones you can afford. AKG K550's may be good as well.

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

Best Grados headphones you can afford. AKG K550's may be good as well.

K551's, because the K550's cable is super easy to break. 

I'd say go with the HD600 like Mayflower said - if you're lucky to get 'em at that price - or go with the HD598. They really sound good with anything you give them, provided you use a low output impedance amp.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

For metal? HD600s or any of the DT880/990 versions would be good, I can attest to that.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

just buy the most expensive Sennheisers you can afford  ;)

Lame advice - could be said about any brand.

Lame advice - could be said about any brand.

only if you think all brands are created equal....I don't believe that one bit. 

only if you think all brands are created equal....I don't believe that one bit. 

Well, I didn't mean any brand, but what you said implies Sennheiser is the best for everyone at any price point. AKG, Beyerdynamic, Grado, Audiotechnica, and many others make headphones just as good as each other but all in different respects. 

to go with the best asus card you can afford? :P

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Thomann seem fine from what i've seen, they sell lots of equipment up to thousands of euros and have returns policies and everything. What was your reservation?

Can vouch for this: long time customer from Thomann and I have bought cheapo microphones, to instruments worth up to 1000 bucks and never had any problems whatsoever.