4k or FHD for a Laptop?

Since I'm getting a new gaming laptop I want to know if its better to go for a 4K screen and endure the crappy resolution scaling of windows, or go for a FHD screen and be good to go. I have money for 4K. So is it better to go for 4K of FHD on a Laptop? (ps. Laptop size is 15.6")

Do you care about battery life/mobility?

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

I'd say FHD if you want to be able to last a while on battery.

• AMD Athlon X4 760K CPU   |   MSI FM2+ ATX A88X-G45 Motherboard   |   8GB 1600MHz RAM   |   MSI GTX 760 GPU (Reference)
  • Thermaltake Versa H22 Case   |   1TB Seagate, 0.5TB Hitachi (7200RPM)   |   ArcticRed+ 700WStock    |   Windows 8.1

FHD, 4K is overkill for 15,6" and mobile.

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD

FHD

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

Do you want to game on it because then 4k isn´t the real deal for a laptop, otherwise 4k is futureproof but needs more battery, but it looks way better.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for all your replies!  I do care about mobility and battery life but most of the time im near a power outlet, some gaming but the main thing I do is content creation like digital art, the games I play are not very hard core like League of Legends, Skullgirls, Smite, etc. there can be times where id like to try games like Battlefield 4, Far Cry 4 and GTA V but I normally play them for about 2~4 hours(I could lower the resolution).

Although not needed, I would say 4k because if it is the same laptop  you can set it to 1080p when you want if you want to save battery. Plus it will be more future proof.

40 minutes ago, Inkz said:

Although not needed, I would say 4k because if it is the same laptop  you can set it to 1080p when you want if you want to save battery. Plus it will be more future proof.

Thats what I was thinking, Why not future proof it? 4K will be the next standard in the future anyways. 4K for content creation, then 1080P for hardcore games or 4K if its not that demanding of a game.

48 minutes ago, LeyDipper said:

Thats what I was thinking, Why not future proof it? 4K will be the next standard in the future anyways. 4K for content creation, then 1080P for hardcore games or 4K if its not that demanding of a game.

Plus since 4k is a perfect 4x multiple of 1080p every thing would be scaled perfectly and there should be no artifacts. If you can afford it I would say go for it.

5 minutes ago, Inkz said:

Plus since 4k is a perfect 4x multiple of 1080p every thing would be scaled perfectly and there should be nrtifacts. If you can afford it I would say go for it.

Yup my thoughts exactly, I'm going for 4k on my new laptop :) 

5 minutes ago, Inkz said:

56 minutes ago, LeyDipper said:

The big question though is what GPU will be in the laptop? Will it be able to handle current games at 4K, let alone future ones? If you're really set on 4K on a laptop, I'd wait until Pascal mobile GPU's come out for performance/efficiency. You can always drop down to 1080 for better performance, but why would you get a 4K screen in that case?

I've seen gaming reviews of the GTX 970M 3GB being good enough for not so demanding games to run at 4K maxed out or on high instead of ultra(League, Smite, CS:GO, Skullgirl, etc). And the main reason im going 4K is for content creation. I game, but I dont play very demanding games.

1 minute ago, LeyDipper said:

I've seen gaming reviews of the GTX 970M 3GB being good enough for not so demanding games to run at 4K maxed out or on high instead of ultra(League, Smite, CS:GO, Skullgirl, etc). And the main reason im going 4K is for content creation. I game, but I dont play very demanding games.

Fair enough. Let me know how you like the 15.6" display with 4K. I'm looking for a new laptop in the next few months and I'm going back and forth on 1080 vs 4K. I'm pretty set on 1080, I have my desktop for gaming. The biggest thing for me is a matte screen and IPS more so than resolution. I just want to know how the display scaling and everyday usability of 4K on a smaller screen goes.

1 minute ago, powderbanks said:

Fair enough. Let me know how you like the 15.6" display with 4K. I'm looking for a new laptop in the next few months and I'm going back and forth on 1080 vs 4K. I'm pretty set on 1080, I have my desktop for gaming. The biggest thing for me is a matte screen and IPS more so than resolution. I just want to know how the display scaling and everyday usability of 4K on a smaller screen goes.

Sure! ill keep you updated. Also I'm buying a new laptop this coming May, and so far the Alienware 15 with 4K IPS Matte display, GTX 970M 3GB, 1TB HDD, 8GB RAM, and an intel core I7-6700HQ is looking like a great machine and its pretty future proof with its USB type-C and graphics amp port. :)