Computer gadgets I wish existed...

HeyKitty

So working in a computer repair shop, I spend most of my time testing hardware... like a ton of it...

Things that could save me hours of work every week:

CPU testers: you can buy each socket dirt cheap and it just tests the CPU if it can run properly.

RAM testers: just plug the RAM in and quickly test which stick is bad...

And most advanced, Motherboard testers where it has a TON of modular parts to plug into the: CPU, RAM, IDE, SATA, PCI, PCIe, and even like onboard video, USB, Ethernet, speakers. Of course this would be pretty expensive, but I would gladly pay $800 to have this at the shop for incredibly quick diagnostics.

Anyways, end of rant.

Any other things you wished were a thing to make computer repair/building easier?

THIS IS MY SUPER TEENY TINY SIGNATURE!

Ain't it just the cutest little signature.

Some would argue it is the cutest little signature ever.

So working in a computer repair shop, I spend most of my time testing hardware... like a ton of it...

Things that could save me hours of work every week:

CPU testers: you can buy each socket dirt cheap and it just tests the CPU if it can run properly.

RAM testers: just plug the RAM in and quickly test which stick is bad...

And most advanced, Motherboard testers where it has a TON of modular parts to plug into the: CPU, RAM, IDE, SATA, PCI, PCIe, and even like onboard video, USB, Ethernet, speakers. Of course this would be pretty expensive, but I would gladly pay $800 to have this at the shop for incredibly quick diagnostics.

Anyways, end of rant.

Any other things you wished were a thing to make computer repair/building easier?

The trick to that is to have a machine that 100% works, with parts you swap out for testing. 

You would need one machine per socket, or perhaps swap out motherboards and use the same GPU/PSU/Case, etc. (RAM may need to change)

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

i wish an adapter existed so you could put a laptop ram stick into a full size slot.(I've got like 20 gigs of laptop ram just piled up for some odd reason)

I would assume a set of test benches would do the trick.

If you want a more inexpensive way to do the testing, you will have to build it yourself... or get @iamdarkyoshi to make it.  He can make anything ;)  

If you want a more inexpensive way to do the testing, you will have to build it yourself... or get @iamdarkyoshi to make it.  He can make anything ;)  

lolololol

But to be honest, that is what a test bench is for. Although you would need a few testbenches for CPUs

The trick to that is to have a machine that 100% works, with parts you swap out for testing. 

You would need one machine per socket, or perhaps swap out motherboards and use the same GPU/PSU/Case, etc. (RAM may need to change)

That would be a lot of motherboards I'd have to have to test all the sockets... ... ... I work with computers with win98 stickers on them, to brand new ones people got for Christmas and already broke...

i wish an adapter existed so you could put a laptop ram stick into a full size slot.(I've got like 20 gigs of laptop ram just piled up for some odd reason)

This would be kinda nice in some situations I guess... 

If you want a more inexpensive way to do the testing, you will have to build it yourself... or get @darkyoshi to make it.  He can make anything ;)  

That's a whole lot of work benches though, mine is a bit more space friendly.

Let's just have everything have a hot-swappable usb-type interface.  Ram don't work?  Yank it out and stick another in; no need to log off Windows and turn the PC off.  Same with GPUs and CPUs.  Actually, I think Sata drives can do that already, right?  (Maybe not the boot drive for obvious reasons)

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

Let's just have everything have a hot-swappable usb-type interface.  Ram don't work?  Yank it out and stick another in; no need to log off Windows and turn the PC off.  Same with GPUs and CPUs.  Actually, I think Sata drives can do that already, right?  (Maybe not the boot drive for obvious reasons)

A hot swap-able CPU....

A HOT SWAP-ABLE PSU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A hot swap-able CPU....

A HOT SWAP-ABLE PSU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's already a thing. you can get redundant server psu's that fit in some regular cases.

Been done already, look at nearly any decent server

...You're no fun  <_<

Been done already, look at nearly any decent server

and

That's already a thing. you can get redundant server psu's that fit in some regular cases.

Speaking of which... I am building a PC that needs two PSUs to run... So I am just using two normal desktop PSUs... Any case that supports that? or do I need to go buy some duct-tape, hotglue, and wood to build a case?

...You're no fun  <_<

I try :D

Servers even have hot swappable fans. Some of the servers I had used hot swapable 15K RPM HARD DRIVES

THOSE MUST BE ABSOLUTELY TERRIFYING TO EVEN BUMP WHILE RUNNING

To be honest, I'm waiting for the day when PSUs, CPUs, ram, motherboards, etc. are obsolete.  Just plug your keyboard, mouse, monitor, and ssd directly into your GPU which plugs directly into an AC wall outlet.  But then again, Sony would probably just call that a Playstation 10.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

To be honest, I'm waiting for the day when PSUs, CPUs, ram, motherboards, etc. are obsolete.  Just plug your keyboard, mouse, monitor, and ssd directly into your GPU which plugs directly into an AC wall outlet.  But then again, Sony would probably just call that a Playstation 10.

"PSX" <- It just sounds dirty...

and

Speaking of which... I am building a PC that needs two PSUs to run... So I am just using two normal desktop PSUs... Any case that supports that? or do I need to go buy some duct-tape, hotglue, and wood to build a case?

Redundant psu's dont do twice the wattage they have 2 different psu's that have the same wattage so just go with the regular psu's for your project.

Redundant psu's dont do twice the wattage they have 2 different psu's that have the same wattage so just go with the regular psu's for your project.

I'm not using them for redundancy, I'm doing it for the 20-pin connector.... <- I may explain in a build log if this all works out...

I'm not using them for redundancy, I'm doing it for the 20-pin connector.... <- I may explain in a build log if this all works out...

yes but if your get a 600 watt redundant psu with 2 bays that doesn't mean it will do 1200 watts. and there are many good quality adapters that will down step form 24 to 20 pin if you need it for that.

yes but if your get a 600 watt redundant psu with 2 bays that doesn't mean it will do 1200 watts. and there are many good quality adapters that will down step form 24 to 20 pin if you need it for that.

...well if I am being exact, I need a 24pin and a 20 pin.  That's why I am just using two PSUs... I only need like 300watts, I just don't have the plugs.

redundant psu's don't have seperate connectors for each bay they only have 1 set. so just get the 2 psu's like you said you were going to get earlier.

You mean like these?  

http://www.amazon.com/JET-5478MK-204pin-SODIMM-adapter-Metal/dp/B005F0E26S

http://www.amazon.com/Laptop-SO-DIMM-Desktop-Memory-Adapter/dp/B008BZBI66

Mystery is the source of all true science.

redundant psu's don't have seperate connectors for each bay they only have 1 set. so just get the 2 psu's like you said you were going to get earlier.

...Okay, I think we are on the same page now.... I was always going to use two PSUs, reading over I am not sure where you thought I was going to use just one PSU. But that doesn't really matter. On the same page now.

Now, a case thatll hold two PSUs... :3

For that price, why not sell the laptop RAM and buy the cheaper desktop RAM...

not 

I know that vessel upload of Free Geek had a pretty cool RAM tester. It was\ like 5-6 motherboards but it still somewhat worked.