What is this and why is it there!

PorkyChoUk

Hello all,

I have a reference GTX 960 with a blower style cooler, and a couple days ago it recommended me to download and update some driver which I did. However yesterday and today I have noticed in my tool bar or whatever you call it something quite odd. 

post-59834-0-50230100-1454014737_thumb.p

Like what would happen if I ejected it, would my graphics card still work?

and is it a bug?

Apparently it's a hard drive now.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

It's a little thingy Nvidia introduced for laptops with external GPU docks. Don't mess with it.

This.

The new Nvidia drivers support hot swappable GPUs. It's not supported in most desktops yet.

It would be hilarious if you clicked it and just heard a thump at the bottom of your case from the GPU hitting it xD 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

disconnects your GPU and reconnects it

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Yeah. It's the new driver (ver. 361.75 - WHQL, it's listed in the release notes) that was just released. 

Like we remember from CES2016, there are several external GPU enclosures intended for laptops coming soon-ish. And like Linus demonstrated, they really don't support going back and forth with the internal GPU via hot-plugging alone. He yanked the TB3 cable out and the system died right then and there.

The ability to eject your GPU seems like an ad-hoc solution from Nvidia to enable unplugging the external GPU without rebooting the entire machine. But by the looks of it, they seem to have made a mistake at are taking a calculated risk having ability on desktop too. Time will tell, how it will be in the long run but for the moment, it'll either crash your system or do nothing.

Your safest bet will be not to touch that button. The very least you'll lose any unsaved data if the system crashes for you, at worst corrupt your OS.

Here's my two cents: Maybe some day it'll enable the iGPU, if it's there. Maybe we can use this ability as an interface to do the thing with Powershell or other scripts. Maybe it's be hidden again later on and be full-fledged hot-plugging.

It would be hilarious if you clicked it and just heard a thump at the bottom of your case from the GPU hitting it xD 

I saw this. I can't stop laughing now.  :lol:  :P

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

I saw this. I can't stop laughing now.  :lol:  :P

That feature's coming in PCIe v5 ;)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

LOL.

Hello all,

I have a reference GTX 960 with a blower style cooler, and a couple days ago it recommended me to download and update some driver which I did. However yesterday and today I have noticed in my tool bar or whatever you call it something quite odd. 

attachicon.gifltt.png

Like what would happen if I ejected it, would my graphics card still work?

and is it a bug?

Anyway I just had the same thing happen to me http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/536651-how-to-disconnect-a-gpu-from-the-os/

Your not the only one :P

Wow this was old as heck, Need to update this signature!