Electricity cost of folding?

Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,

Watt-hours per hour is just Watts :P

500W = 0.5KW = 0.5KWh/h

You should get a power meter like a Kill-a-Watt and see what kind of wattage your rig pulls under folding load.

I've folded a few times with my 5820k and 390X, but I dont do it 24/7.

My question is how much would it cost in electricity to run my parts 24/7? obviously price of electricity is different all the different places so Im really looking for a KW used per hour. 

If it matters, my CPU is heavily overclocked and my GPU is overclocked too (cooling is not a concern).

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Full GPU+CPU wattage.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

I've folded a few times with my 5820k and 390X, but I dont do it 24/7.

My question is how much would it cost in electricity to run my parts 24/7? obviously price of electricity is different all the different places so Im really looking for a KW used per hour. 

If it matters, my CPU is heavily overclocked and my GPU is overclocked too (cooling is not a concern).

Do you have a firestrike score for your system? I have the same CPU and GPU as you except @ 4.5ghz and slightly lower clocked GPU

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

As said, get something to measure your power consumption and find out yourself. We can't really answer that for you.....

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Look at Glenwing's post above.  Then, once you know the power draw of your rig, just multiply that by the number of hours you run for.  500W running for 12h = 12 * 500 = 6000Wh = 6 kWh

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Do you have a firestrike score for your system? I have the same CPU and GPU as you except @ 4.5ghz and slightly lower clocked GPU

134df4d519.png

sorry for the delay, had to wait until I was home. Thats a run with a slightly lower GPU core clock of 1150 instead of 1180 and at 4.6ghz instead of 4.7ghz, which I use for daily use.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]