Is this Overkill or is it not even close?

I am planning to buy a new pc for 4k gaming, and I've always had pre-built pc so I am fairly noob at building computers, I currently own a Dell XPS 8500 and this is the pc I came up with: 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NCNqcf

Yes I know... From a GeForce 640 to a dual GTX 980ti is kinda a huge step up but I am really excited to 4k. So... Is this Overkill or do I need evan more to run games at 48fps (or 60 if possible) at ultra settings?

never mind

Spoiler

CPU: i7-5820k @ 4.4GHz Motherboard: Asus X99 Strix  Graphics Card: Gigabyte 980Ti G1 Gaming Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 24GB (3x 8GB) Hard Drive: 1TB WD Green SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 250GB CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W Case: Corsair 400c Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Asus Strix (mx reds)  Monitor: BenQ XL2730Z 1440p@144hz OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit Laptops: Lenovo Y50-70: i7-4720HQ - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD - GTX 960m 4GB - MacBook Pro (Early 2016) 2,0GHz i5 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD Phone: iPhone 7+

I'd wait until Pascal/Polaris comes out to really push for smooth 4K @ 60fps. If this is your first build, you'll probably want to stick with a single GPU for the time being. SLI can be wonky.

you will be fine, the frames you get will be game dependent as in how well they coded it for sli. 

“Does Yggdrasil drink from it because it is the Well of Wisdom, or is it the Well of Wisdom because Yggdrasil drinks from it?” 
― J. Aleksandr WoottonHer Unwelcome Inheritance

CPU Intel 6700k @4.7ghz  Motherboard Asus Rampage Formula VIII RAM 16gb (4x4) Corsair Dominator Platinums GPU Evga Hybrid 980ti

Case ThermalTake X71 Storage 512gb 950 Samsung M.2 PSU 1000Hxi Corsair Cooling 115i Corsair CLC 280mm
Operating System Windows 10 64bit

I'm running the witcher 3 at 60 FPS on a 1080p Monitor with my one GTX960, I don't have a 4K monitor but I think you should be good running two 980ti in SLI. Who knows, I may be wrong.

You know how it is, the cow goes "moo", the dog goes "woof" and the gamer goes "The PvP is unbalanced."

Spoiler

Personal Computer: CPU: i7-4790 Mobo: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 Graphics Card: MSI R9-380  Memory: 16GB (8GB x2) G. Skill Sniper Gaming Series PSU: Apevia Warlock 750W Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Series Storage: 240GB SSD (OS) 3TB HDD (data and such) 500 GB SSD (Movies and Large Data Transfers (I'm constantly moving this one around to other computers))

I would consider looking up comparisons between 2-way SLI 980Ti's vs. 1 Titan X if you've got that much mulah. There's quite a bit of discussion on Tom's Hardware on this. The most common argument I see is that you probably won't need more than 6GB of VRAM for 4k which can be delivered by one 980ti.

Find me on Steam! FunkMastaPost

Overpriced SSD, 850 Pro series is less I believe.

Z87 SRS? Z97 bro.

Overpriced PSU.

EDIT: And 980 Ti SLI would destroy a Titan X.

I am planning to buy a new pc for 4k gaming, and I've always had pre-built pc so I am fairly noob at building computers, I currently own a Dell XPS 8500 and this is the pc I came up with: 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NCNqcf

Yes I know... From a GeForce 640 to a dual GTX 980ti is kinda a huge step up but I am really excited to 4k. So... Is this Overkill or do I need evan more to run games at 48fps (or 60 if possible) at ultra settings?

Why a Samsung 840 Pro ?? ... Wat? 850 or 950 :/

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

honestly some of these parts are dated just a tad. You can do MUCH better for that money... go x99, 950pro, DDR4, 5820k, etc..

I would consider looking up comparisons between 2-way SLI 980Ti's vs. 1 Titan X if you've got that much mulah. There's quite a bit of discussion on Tom's Hardware on this. The most common argument I see is that you probably won't need more than 6GB of VRAM for 4k which can be delivered by one 980ti.

A single Titan X is vastly inferior to 980 Tis in SLI.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                

A single Titan X is vastly inferior to 980 Tis in SLI.

I would agree at this point.

Yeah thats perfect, although I would do a single 980ti or just wait till pascal 

And this would probably be good practice. Save the money for the second 980ti for a Pascal gpu later.

I did some comparisions at cpuboss and it seemed that i7 4790k is much batter than a 5820k (link), but the rest yeah probablly

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-5820K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-4790K

Depending on your main use of the computer, the 4790K will be fine. However, Skylake or Haswell-e mobos will probably give you better connectivity for newer devices (USB3/3.1, Type-C, m.2, etc) if that matters to you.

if you are using that as a basis to build your PC, you really need to do more research 

Depending on your main use of the computer, the 4790K will be fine. However, Skylake or Haswell-e mobos will probably give you better connectivity for newer devices (USB3/3.1, Type-C, m.2, etc) if that matters to you.

Sorry Guys, I said that I was noob at this, I just thout that benchmarks would help me out, and isnt Single-Core Performance much more relevant to gaming than Multi-Core Performance?

Sorry Guys, I said that I was noob at this, I just thout that benchmarks would help me out, and isnt Single-Core Performance much more relevant to gaming than Multi-Core Performance?

When you overclock the x99 chip, no. Plus when games actually take advantage of more cores you will be way ahead of the game 

When you overclock the x99 chip, no. Plus when games actually take advantage of more cores you will be way ahead of the game 

^ This. And really, the performance drop between the 4790K versus the 5820K for single core will be pretty much negligible for gaming, especially if you're using a 980ti or similar. Also, consider the 4790k has 16 PCI-e lanes, versus the 28 on a 5820K or 40 on the 5930K and 5960X. Since you're planning on SLI, you may want the extra PCI lanes with Haswell-e.

I did some comparisions at cpuboss and it seemed that i7 4790k is much batter than a 5820k (link), but the rest yeah probablly

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-5820K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-4790K

Uhm, ... No PERIOD.

3.Use

And this would probably be good practice. Save the money for the second 980ti for a Pascal gpu later.

If you playn on getting a 14nm GPU by the mid/ end of this year I wouldn't spend 600+ on a 980 Ti but instead get something that suffices for now like a 970 or hell even a 960 would be enough to kill time IF you want a sydtem now but 14nm later!

3.Use

^ This. And really, the performance drop between the 4790K versus the 5820K for single core will be pretty much negligible for gaming, especially if you're using a 980ti or similar. Also, consider the 4790k has 16 PCI-e lanes, versus the 28 on a 5820K or 40 on the 5930K and 5960X. Since you're planning on SLI, you may want the extra PCI lanes with Haswell-e.

To say that the high performance of a 980 Ti makes up for the difference in single core performance of a 4790/5820 is nonsense. However in games at 1080p and up i am pretty comfortable saying that you won't see any difference between those two.

Running two 980 Tis of a 4790/5820 might give you some measurable difference however you will be pushing framerates that high that there'd be no way to notice. Note that 2x980 Ti is overkill for most things I could imagine today.

The X99 platform however is much more broadly built in terms of I/O and connectivity and therefore a better basis for a real high-end system.

No need to add that the 2011-3 platform will be getting new chips 6820 6930 6960 this year. I can't confirm they will work flawlessly but from what i have a heard they will use the same socket so a simple BIOS update should make your "old" X99 ready for an ugrade if you'd ever need that.

3.Use

If you playn on getting a 14nm GPU by the mid/ end of this year I wouldn't spend 600+ on a 980 Ti but instead get something that suffices for now like a 970 or hell even a 960 would be enough to kill time IF you want a sydtem now but 14nm later!

If this were my build, then yes that would be very viable. He waned two 980ti's though, so money can't be that much of an obstacle. If he REALLY wants it, he'll buy it regardless. <
do it.

My build has an R9 270X that I got for $85. Obviously, I'm a cheapskate. (And I really can't see upgrading my gpu further on my FM2+ socket.)

To say that the high performance of a 980 Ti makes up for the difference in single core performance of a 4790/5820 is nonsense. However in games at 1080p and up i am pretty comfortable saying that you won't see any difference between those two.

Exactly my point... For gaming, it won't really matter. Rendering/encoding video or other workstation tasks, the 5820 will definitely win.

Solid, but you may want to go for z97 instead of z87.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case