microsoft 365 vs google for work

bitdota

Hey,

I am a manager of a small business (approximately 4 employees) and we are looking to improve the communication and workflow.

We are currently using email addresses hosted by our domain host. We are currently using OpenOffice and thunderbird for our daily work. Lot of compatibility issues and communication problems with these software .

Which one would suit us better? Can google docs export the same formats as microsoft does ? 

Can you assign tasks that you create to other members within google or 365 ?

Which one would you recommend ?

Thanks

Google docs is ok for working within the office, but not 100% compatible like Microsoft office is

I say just get 365 for all

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I always tell small employers with less than 10 people to go for the free alternative.

Google Docs has pretty much the same features you'll be using in MS Office, it's free, it's highly collaborative and everything can be easily shared from one employee to another.

As far as I know you can export to any MSO-compatible format (.xlsx, .docx), PFD and Open Office formats.

I'm unsure about the task assignment, but you can just create a spreadsheet to track and assign the tasks to each employee and tell your people to check it periodically for updates.

As a partner for a similarly small business with 5 people, we prefer using Google Docs since it's free, offers us everything we need, even on the go, is pretty light weight and has a learning curve the size of a small anthill on a perfectly straight riverbed. Plus it auto-saves pretty much instantly and the odds of losing data is slim to none. IIRC you also have document versions and you don't really have to bother with backing stuff up or storing them somewhere

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Hey,

I am a manager of a small business (approximately 4 employees) and we are looking to improve the communication and workflow.

We are currently using email addresses hosted by our domain host. We are currently using OpenOffice and thunderbird for our daily work. Lot of compatibility issues and communication problems with these software .

Which one would suit us better? Can google docs export the same formats as microsoft does ? 

Can you assign tasks that you create to other members within google or 365 ?

Which one would you recommend ?

Thanks

Office 365, all day everyday.

I love Office. I'm not a fan of Google Drive.

Office is more rock solid and just works and has loads of features.

Trust me, it's worthwhile investment.

#dogreatthings

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

My organisation uses both for different reasons.

From what i can tell the only benefit google has is for sharing documents ETC.

O365 on the other hand is still easy to share documents, but comes with more and is easier to use overall.

In my opinion i would recommend O365 over google.

Microsoft Office is the better solution, the only downside is the cost. If buying the necessary subscriptions is not a problem for you I'd go for that.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I've been using both. Docs for small and light notes, Office Word for high quality stuff like my Masters Thesis work, reports for studies and work etc. For me Docs just doesn't deliver with features and/or usability. Even free LibreOffice does better for productivity while it too has issues with simple things.

I'd say if you and most of your staff have used Office as primary suite before, go for it now.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

As far as I know Google Docs for Work is a much richer application than the free one which average user gets.

Though it does cost money, the premium version (with unlimited storage) is only £6.60 per user.

https://apps.google.com/

It also allows you to use Gmail as an email client, whilst still retaining your business '@yourcompany.com' email addresses.

I personally find Google's online infrastructure to be smoother and more stable than Microsoft's. The Office and SkyDrive webapps are not very responsive or pleasant to use compared with Google's alternatives.