What songs would you use to test a sound system?

Oshino Shinobu

Okay, so long story short; I turn 21 in about a month and I'm going to be looking for a new car. I expect to have this car for a fairly long time, and plan on putting a fair bit of money into it (aftermarket parts) to get it how I want it. The initial cost of the car is a lot to being with, even used, so I want to make sure I'm getting one that is good spec and in good condition. I like music, so the sound system is fairly important.

I was wondering if anyone knows of some good songs to pick out issues with the sound system, so something with a good range. Or even just songs that you personally use to test audio systems.

I have a few songs in mind, but would like some input and suggestions for ones to try. I normally listen to EDM, but I occasionally go back to my rock/metal days. 

Some of the ones I plan on using (a variety, and songs I know very well).

(Good range and one I know)

(I know this song extremely well)

(Again, a song I know very well + Freddie and Bowie)

(Ones to test the bass of the system)

For those interested, I'm planning on buying a 2008 BMW E92 335i (The twin turbo N54 engine)

EDIT: Youtube kills the quality of audio. I have higher quality files of all of the songs on my computer. 

I use Sound Barrier ft. Feather (seems to make subs go mad), Hotline Bling (same as before), Again from Fetty (actually made overvolt protection kick on with this lol), and then You Know You Like It (AlunaGeorge) because I just like it and it has decent lows. :P

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Lightning Strikes by Yes, I find, is a very good test of pretty much everything in an upbeat progressive rock style.

Now you've made me want to listen to it. Dammit. Back to my years as a diehard Yes fanboy.

maybe Stephen Swartz -- Bullet Train (Feat. Joni Fatora)

also i like that car

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

I use Sound Barrier ft. Feather (seems to make subs go mad), Hotline Bling (same as before), Again from Fetty (actually made overvolt protection kick on with this lol), and then You Know You Like It (AlunaGeorge) because I just like it and it has decent lows. :P

I can see how that first one would affect the subs within the first minute. I'll avoid Hotline Bling, just because I hate it xD I'll check out the others, cheers. 

also i like that car

I started off looking at the 320i, but kept moving up the 3 series until I settled on the 335i. Partially because of the awesome N54 engine and the amount of aftermarket parts available for the car. 

Come to think of it, pretty much any of the more off-the-beaten-path Yes songs are pretty good all-round tests for sound systems. Union has a lot of good 'uns.

Deadmaus - Strobe is good for tests :P

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

Not youtube... Cause audio... but Hotel California is a timeless favorite for that application.

I would personally recommend My Immortal and The Heart of Everything to really test its range.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Foreplay / Long time by Boston. Good mix of everything.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

i generally use BRYNHILDR IN THE DARKNESS -EJECTRO Extended-

The song pretty much covers every type of music i listen to, there is the drmatic, the electronic, the wtf acid trip for 15 seconds, the epic, the rock and the im going to get shit done tone which i seriously cant explain. 

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Not youtube... Cause audio... but Hotel California is a timeless favorite for that application.

I would personally recommend My Immortal and The Heart of Everything to really test its range.

I've heard of Hotel California being used a lot. Hell, Sennheiser used it with their $50,000 headphones. 

I'm exactly the same way haha, and I switch between different cars so much it becomes really annoying to me when the sound system sounds drastically worse going from one to another.

Here's some songs I usually use, as they do a good job of letting me hear how well the sound system covers the frequency range that's actually important to me, I'm not a person who's into giant subwoofers. And I keep it on a regular audio CD (not an MP3 CD, for both compatibility reasons across different cars and for compression reasons)

Generally, I find slower music to be a better sound comparison than fast-paced music like a lot of EDM seems to be.

If you do want to test how overkill subs will be though, this is a classic for that

"Rawr XD"

I've heard of Hotel California being used a lot. Hell, Sennheiser used it with their $50,000 headphones. 

It's overused... But people have heard it so much the standard is very accepted.

Too many  people let distortions creep into the highs imho hence my recommendation of my immortal along with Within Temptation's work (Hand of Sorrow works well also) which hits those extremes well.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Generally, I find slower music to be a better sound comparison than fast-paced music like a lot of EDM seems to be.

I have a variety of EDM songs. Some are faster, while some are very slow. I plan on basically having a full day with the car before I buy it, so I've got plenty of time to try a variety of music. I've heard good things about the sound system in the E90-93 range of 3 series, which is partially why I want to test it. 

I'd probably use something from Jacoo for slow EDM.

It's overused... But people have heard it so much the standard is very accepted.

Too many  people let distortions creep into the highs imho hence my recommendation of my immortal along with Within Temptation's work (Hand of Sorrow works well also) which hits those extremes well.

+1 for My Immortal as well, great song for mids to highs

"Rawr XD"

I have a variety of EDM songs. Some are faster, while some are very slow. I plan on basically having a full day with the car before I buy it, so I've got plenty of time to try a variety of music. I've heard good things about the sound system in the E90-93 range of 3 series, which is partially why I want to test it. 

I haven't tried E90-93, but the H/K system in the E46 I had for a bit wasn't that great for my music, the bass sounded too muddy. I can see it being really good for hip-hop and whatnot though.

"Rawr XD"

+1 for My Immortal as well, great song for mids to highs

Ah, the nostalgia of My Immortal. I guess it's a good test in multiple senses as I know it fairly well. 

I would suggest - even if you're not into this sort of thing - playing some really big, grandiose organ music. Ones where the player has all the stops pulled out and is pumping away at all the different audio levels. And then try other, less massive, booming organ music. Just an idea.

Tank by the Seatbelts/Yoko Kanno and "THE HERO!!" (with two exclamation points?) by JAM Project because I happen to have pretty good quality (and loud. Don't forget lod.) versions downloaded. Looking around, the only decent quality things I might have for higher pitch would be Cirno's Perfect Math Class by IOSYS and Ren'ai circulation, though I have sworn off listening to that because I had set it on repeat and my friends got mad at me for humming it.

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

I would try Revolution by Diplo to test out the bass personally. Also, I very much envy your car.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

Every time I hear it, I can't help but think of The Dude, and his disdain for them. :D

Every time I hear it, I can't help but think of The Dude, and his disdain for them. :D

Lol. I mean it's a great song, but....

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Michael Jackson - Thriller

Muse - Supermassive Black Hole

Muse - The Groove

Two Steps From Hell - Love and Loss

Thomas Bergersen - Starvation

Frederic Chopin - Etude Op. 25, No. 5 in E minor (Murray Perahia)

Dubba Jonny - Home

J.S. Bach - Passacaglia and Fugue in C minor BWV 582 (Michael Murray)

J.S. Bach - Cello Suite No. 2 in D minor: Prelude (Yo Yo Ma)

Arvo Pärt - Alina

Arvo Pärt - De Profundis

And probably some others that I can't remember at the moment.

Also, the soundtrack to Princes Mononoke (Joe Hisaishi). Some subterranean bass in there, below 30Hz in many places. Excellent for testing a sound system with serious subwoofer performance.