Is a single 120 Radiator enough?

Go to solution Solved by W-L,

-SNIP-

I fear so too :S my other option was to go with an AIO for each card :)

If you want the performance with the lowest amount of cost as your said an AIO loop per GPU and adapter bracket is your next best option, not to mention no extra loop maintenance. 

Hello fellow forum Members!

I currently own two gtx 780s in SLI an a mATX board.
And I am planning on watercooling them.
My case is the fractal design Arc Mini R2.
I was just curious wheter a single 120mm radiator is enough for two 780s.
Before you comment I am aware that the common rule is on 120mm rad per component is the rule.
But on the other hand we have the R9 295x2 which also has a single radiator.
I will be using a universal block for the two GPUs since I want to keep the reference cooler shroud.

My CPU will NOT be in this loop because I have an AIO for it ;)

I am not really overclocking my GPUs so is it possible to only use one 120mm rad? :D

Just asking :)

I might be posting pictures later ;)

Firestrike Score: https://www.3dmark.com/fs/10388602

May the Force be with you all!

No, it won't be.

240mm minimum.

Best Bench Runs & 24/7 Rig

Spoiler

Best Bench Runs

i5 4670k (XTU) - 4.7GHz Core / 4.5GHz Cache | GTX 980 (FireStrike Extreme) 1620MHz Core / 4000MHz Memory (GPUPI) 1721MHz | G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4GB - 2200MHz CL10-11-11-24 1T

Spoiler

24/7 Rig & Clocks

i5 4670k 4.5GHz (Swiftech H320) | MSI Z87 MPower Max | ASUS GTX 980 1580MHz 4000MHz (NZXT Kraken X41) | 3x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | Corsair Air 540 | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | 120GB Kingston SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda

120mm per GPU

120 up to 240mm per CPU

Good enough if you dont want an upgrade to your cooling

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

-SNIP-

As you pointed out it's below the minimum amount recommended amount, where it will tend to run warmer or be louder since you would need to run higher RPM fans to for lower temps.

I am not really overclocking my GPUs so is it possible to only use one 120mm rad? :D

then what's the point? why don't you just sell those two cards and order a GTX 980ti with the money and the money you would save not buying useless watercooling gear for old GPU's?!

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Thanks for the quick answers:

As you pointed out it's below the minimum amount recommended amount, where it will tend to run warmer or be louder since you would need to run higher RPM fans to for lower temps.

Good enough if you dont want an upgrade to your cooling

240mm rad at least for those GPUs. (120mm per GPU)

120mm per GPU

120 up to 240mm per CPU

No, it won't be.

240mm minimum.

I know it not enough to keep my cards at 45 degrees under load, but I don't even want that ;)

I want to have a compact solution and I will tolerate temps up to 75 degrees :)

What do you think about it? :)

and keep in mind only the heat from the chips itself must be taken into account ;)

Hello fellow forum Members!

I currently own two gtx 780s in SLI an a mATX board.

And I am planning on watercooling them.

My case is the fractal design Arc Mini R2.

I was just curious wheter a single 120mm radiator is enough for two 780s.

Before you comment I am aware that the common rule is on 120mm rad per component is the rule.

But on the other hand we have the R9 295x2 which also has a single radiator.

I will be using a universal block for the two GPUs since I want to keep the reference cooler shroud.

My CPU will NOT be in this loop because I have an AIO for it ;)

Just asking :)

I might be posting pictures later ;)

Will it suffice YES but at a cost, noise from running fans (possibly push/pull config) at speeds much higher to maintain decent temps after all like you said a single 120mm is used on a 295x2. Bear in mind though that is factory liquid cooled and may have certain optimisations to achieve it's purpose.

Get at least a 240 and the thickest you can afford. The Mayhem Havoc 240 63mm thick radiator is a bargain here in the UK don't know if it's available in Switzerland.

then what's the point? why don't you just sell those two cards and order a GTX 980ti with the money and the money you would save not buying useless watercooling gear for old GPU's?!

because I want to keep my old cards :)

And I can carry this solution on to future cards and might upgrade it with a bigger rad ;)

because I want to keep my old cards :)

And I can carry this solution on to future cards and might upgrade it with a bigger rad ;)

you wont, because every gpu requires a different cooling block

IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY TO YOU, QUOTE MY POST.

Fire Strike Score

5820K @ 4.8GHZ - 1.25v / Uncore @ 4.5GHZ - 1.2v / 3000MHZ G.skill 32GB Quad Channel / Asus Rampage V Extreme / 950 Pro Nvme / Sound Blaster ZxR  / 980 TI / Windows 7

I know it not enough to keep my cards at 45 degrees under load, but I don't even want that ;)

and keep in mind only the heat from the chips itself must be taken into account ;)

What's the point then?

It would perform the same as an air cooler..

Spoiler

Best Bench Runs

i5 4670k (XTU) - 4.7GHz Core / 4.5GHz Cache | GTX 980 (FireStrike Extreme) 1620MHz Core / 4000MHz Memory (GPUPI) 1721MHz | G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4GB - 2200MHz CL10-11-11-24 1T

Spoiler

24/7 Rig & Clocks

i5 4670k 4.5GHz (Swiftech H320) | MSI Z87 MPower Max | ASUS GTX 980 1580MHz 4000MHz (NZXT Kraken X41) | 3x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | Corsair Air 540 | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | 120GB Kingston SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Spoiler

Best Bench Runs

Spoiler

24/7 Rig & Clocks

To put it in perspective the 780 and 290 have similar TDP's/Performance. Using an XSPC AX120mm, Noctua NF-12 at 1200RPM and a DCP450 pump, max temps I recorded was 60C when cooling a single 290. You'd struggle to keep those card around 75C with a single 120 tbh without some nasty tradeoffs.

post-300263-0-02643500-1453833545.jpg

I think you underestimate 780 SLI

The 780 is a 250W card, so you are trying to cool 500W total. Assuming a hot loop of 20C delta over ambient and 1600Rpm fans you will only get about 320W worth out of a single 120mm. If you did this I would expect the water to be around +30C which would put core temperature around +45C over ambient so in a normal room around 65-70C. Toasty but it would likely work. It is too close to thermal issues for my liking its grossly underspecced and outside of the linear range making my temperature prediction much less accurate.

hmmm okay, that's why it's an universal block, sure ;)

To put it in perspective the 780 and 290 have similar TDP's/Performance. Using an XSPC AX120mm, Noctua NF-12 at 1200RPM and a DCP450 pump, max temps I recorded was 60C when cooling a single 290. You'd struggle to keep those card around 75C with a single 120 tbh without some nasty tradeoffs.

hmmm thanks for the numbers :)

Will consider it :)

I think you underestimate 780 SLI

that's why I'm asking :)

The 780 is a 250W card, so you are trying to cool 500W total. Assuming a hot loop of 20C delta over ambient and 1600Rpm fans you will only get about 320W worth out of a single 120mm. If you did this I would expect the water to be around +30C which would put core temperature around +45C over ambient so in a normal room around 65-70C. Toasty but it would likely work. It is too close to thermal issues for my liking its grossly underspecced and outside of the linear range making my temperature prediction much less accurate.

Thanks for this scientifical approach :D will consider it :)

I have the arc mini and I have a 360 and 240mm radiator loop. get at least a 360mm to be honest... the case takes one on the top, or a 280mm on the top.

-SNIP-

If you want the performance with the lowest amount of cost as your said an AIO loop per GPU and adapter bracket is your next best option, not to mention no extra loop maintenance. 

It may be worth checking out EK Thermosphere subject to compatibility. 

Not a cheap as AIO solution though  :(

Was my 2nd option :)