5 things every Android user should know

Techno Buffalo: http://www.technobuffalo.com/videos/5-things-every-android-user-should-know/?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=56a4d8e204d30160981b2a42&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

Opinion: Actually, quite useful.   

1. Security Message

First, please make sure you use a security message on your phone. Many folks don’t even know that this is an option, but it’s just a simple line of text on your lock screen letting someone who finds your phone how to get it back to you. It’s quick and painless to set up, and it gives you a much better chance at recovering your device should you ever become separated from it. I use Google Voice, so I can put my phone number on there, but I usually just put a work email that I can be reached at even without my phone. Just set it up really quickly and get yourself that peace of mind.

2. Smart Lock

While we’re talking about lock screens, let’s stick around in the security settings for now and turn on Smart Lock. If you use any Bluetooth devices, Smart Lock will keep your phone unlocked for as long as it can see a particular designated Bluetooth device. It can also pay attention to your location, whether it be work or home. Using your location, it can make sure your phone stays unlocked at home or at work when it’s a safe location. Smart Lock means you get the protection of a lock without the inconvenience of always having to unlock the device. The best part is that since Marshmallow, a lock mechanism like the fingerprint reader remains active, so even though your phone isn’t locked, using the fingerprint reader for convenience still works.

3. Google Now is Everywhere!

If you’re on an Android device, I’m sure you’ve grown accustomed to offloading as much work as possible to your friend Google Now. I don’t blame you. Now imagine that you’re bundled under a load of blankets in the winter and you want to turn the heat up. If you have a Nest, this is where you’d reach for your phone. But, alas, your phone is at the other end of the couch. What do you do? Simple, just ask Google. Google Now works beautifully with the Nest. Asking it to set your temperature to 70 degrees will set your Nest to the appropriate temp. It’s really cool, super convenient, and there is support for more devices on the way.

4. System UI Tuner

For you tinkerers, you’re going to like the System UI Tuner. By tapping and holding on the gear in the quick settings menu, you’ll unlock the ability to turn on a percentage in the battery icon, change what’s in your quick settings, and even change which icons regularly appear in the status bar. There’s not much else to it right now, but I really hope Google starts putting more beta customization features in there. I’d be stoked to find a new tweak after a usual monthly security update.

5. Bluetooth Controllers

Finally, I need to tell you about this one thing I discovered. Android is really good atBluetooth controllers. This might be old hat to you, but I just bought a great Bluetooth controller in the $40 range. Coupled with an emulator for your console of choice, you can be playing all the greats on a device that sits right in your pocket. The default connection method even works perfectly fine for the model I got. I didn’t need to do anything beyond just connecting it via Bluetooth. It knew which buttons did what action. If you’ve got a hankering for some retro gaming action, pick up a controller for yourself and relive all the best games of your childhood.

Cool story brah

3770k, Asrock Extreme 4, 16GB Dominator Plat, AX760i, 250GB BX100, 1.5TB Seagate, Win 7 Home Prem 

Stuff you learn looking through settings and daily use. 

Magical Pineapples

And why is this tech news?

Anyway , watched the video yesterday. I already knew all of them , so...yeah.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Does anyone here know if theres an app that uses smartlock but it unlocke the phone when connected to a certain wifi and not bluetooth device?

I'm currently using it with gps positioning but that doesn't work that well...

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Why is this news? 3 is not new at all and 5 is mostly useless. 

I don't use any of those

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Not sure why this is news but anyway, just c/p the article is not a valid post, high possibility your threads might get locked.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Moved to OSes and Software.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I don't use any of those

What is the point of posting that?  Literarily adds nothing to the discussion and there is no reason to post it other than to increase your post count.

You didn't list why you don't use any of those, you didn't list what you DO use, you didn't list alternatives to what they suggested. Nothing. Just posted that you don't use it.  

Seriously, you just posted the post pointless reply ever I think

SNIPk

Of all the posts above.. one that just reads "MKAY" you pick on mine to be the pointless answer? in fact there are like 6 or 7 useless replies above but you singled me out?

The topic/article states "5 tihngs every android user should know" when in fact I bet most android users dont use or need to know any of these things 

"google now works beautifully with nest" oh graet for all 12 people who have one (for example)

I was just responding like.. "who the hell uses any of those things" - I hardly deem any of them "essential", I dont use any alternatives, because that functionality is stuff barely anybody uses

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

K

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I wish I has android phon ;(

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.