GTX 970 + 550ti as a dedicated PhysX card?

dskillerBR

Got a few questions about that... Mostly concerning my PSU connectors.

Here it goes:

Can i power a 550ti using only the x4 PCIe slot for using it as a dedicated PhysX card paired with my GTX 970? The thing is, i own a Thermaltake Smart Series 650w 80+ Bronze, but i'm short of one 6pin connector to power that card.

If not, is it possible to use the Molex Adapter?

Such as connect this (from the PSU):

20160122_214125.jpg

on this (adaptor):

20160122_214026.jpg

So i can connect this to the 550ti (6pin)?

20160122_214106.jpg

I'm pretty sure my PSU can handle the power to feed the system, but i'm worried the use of those cables connected on those peripherals extensions from the PSU might hurt my computer, or even completely burning it. Note that the adaptor is original from nVidia.

Halp?

Full PC specs:

- i5 4670k Stock Speed

- 16gb (4x4) DDR3 1600 Kingston HyperX Fury

- 120gb Kingston HyperX SSD

- 1TB Seagate HD

- EVGA GTX 970 SC+ stock @1340mhz(boost clock) 7010mhz Memory

- Thermaltake Smart Series 650w 80+ Bronze PSU

USB ports used for mouse, keyboard, Xbox One controller and eventually a wireless headset with USB receiver. I believe on full load my computer is drawing somewhere arroung 450w.

I'm not sure if a molex will supply the power needed for a gpu.

Got a few questions about that... Mostly concerning my PSU connectors.

Here it goes:

Can i power a 550ti using only the x4 PCIe slot for using it as a dedicated PhysX card paired with my GTX 970? The thing is, i own a Thermaltake Smart Series 650w 80+ Bronze, but i'm short of one 6pin connector to power that card.

If not, is it possible to use the Molex Adapter?

Such as connect this (from the PSU):

on this (adaptor):

So i can connect this to the 550ti (6pin)?

I'm pretty sure my PSU can handle the power to feed the system, but i'm worried the use of those cables connected on those peripherals extensions from the PSU might hurt my computer, or even completely burning it. Note that the adaptor is original from nVidia.

Halp?

i do not  suggest it on your psu.  a ti card is seriously power hunger, with my 560 ti drawing more power than my 770

there is no real need for a PhysX card now a days 

CPU: A8-5600K GPU: MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MOBO: ASUS A55BM-PLUS 

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

should add, as far as i know nvidia cards refuse to work in 4x slots unless you bodge them to think they're in 8x or 16x

should add, as far as i know nvidia cards refuse to work in 4x slots unless you bodge them to think they're in 8x or 16x

They should still work. They require a minimum of PCIe 2.0 8x for SLI (and specific support from Nvidia for the chipset/board), but the cards can operate below that outside of SLI. For PhsyX, it would technically be enough bandwidth, though it still wouldn't offer any performance benefits. 

Personally I think PhysX dedicated cards are a thing of the past, more modern GPUs like the 970 are plenty powerful to do all of the processing by itself.

Also there really aren't that many games that use PhysX.

2500k | Z68-UD3H-B3 | GTX 570 Classified + Accelero Xtreme III | MX 200 250GB + Seagate 500GB | R4 | Seasonic 660W Plattinum | 8GB G Skill | Acer K272HUL + 2 x Dell P2417H, Rosewill dual mount, HP 22bw | Mackie CR3, ATH-M50X | DAS Keyboard | Mobile: X1 Carbon, Nexus 6P, LG G3, Samsung S5, Nexus 7 (2013)

You'll get a much better benefit from overclocking that 4670k than you will from shoving a dedicated PhysX card down it's throat. The 970 is more than capable of handling that on it's own.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

Yeah... i guess i'll drop the idea, not like i got something to complain about hte 970, its a freaking awesome card.

I wouldn't bother since there are so few games that use PhysX. It's disappointing Nvidia basically killed it off. I remember being blown away by Cell Factor back in 2006 and thinking PhysX was going to become something huge in PC gaming.

There really isn't I agree.

Is it just me, or does Linus sound like a gay 15 year old in this video?

"As Individuals we are weak like twigs but when we come together we become a mighty faggot"

i use a 560 as dedicated physx card together with my 980ti but its mostly just so i can connect more monitors. in the very few games that use it i do get a benefit but its very rare that a game uses physx tbh. highest gpu usage i have seen on my 560 is about 50% with physx so its not holding anything back. and you can see here that even when using two titans a 650 still works well for physx http://www.volnapc.com/uploads/3/0/9/1/30918989/3942255_orig.png but eh probably not worth considering the few games that uses it