2016 - The year for PC Gamers?

Overkilled

Honestly I've been following Polaris and Pascal quite closely and I can tell you shit will hit the fan. With HBM2 memory and 14-16 nanometer process from what I hear these cards are going to literally decomission current gen GPUs. So what does this mean?

It's better for the consumer.

Obviously we don't know what the performance of the amd and nvidia flagships will be but hopefully they'll render current cards obsolete, I really feel like amd are really gonna give it their all this generation. Zen and arctic island's might be they're last chance.

This surely will be a great year for the PC gamers

Every year someone makes this claim since we get new stuff.

No need for it. Just enjoy the better stuff we get.

AMD might catch Intel off guard since I dont think Intel is really focusing on desktops right now.

it doesn't mean anything if the software or games cant utilise the full power, epically since consoles are so weak that games have to be compensated for them as we have seen for many games.

New: PCPartPicker part list

Old:Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHz, GIGABYTE GA-EP43T-UD3L, 4 GB Elixir PC3 ddr3-1333,  ASUS RADEON R7 260X, Thermaltake M9, 1TB HDD, GreatWall GW550SEL 550 WATT, BENQ GW2255, Hyper T4, Samson SR950 Headphones, fiio ek10.

AMD might catch Intel off guard since I dont think Intel is really focusing on desktops right now.

Correct. CPUs are more powerful than we need currently, the 22nm process is still more than enough for most consumers. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

:lol: You must be new. Every "new" thing is said to be way better than what we have.

30 years and I'm still waiting for that to happen :lol:

If anyone asks you never saw me.

it doesn't mean anything if the software or games cant utilise the full power, epically since consoles are so weak that games have to be compensated for them as we have seen for many games.

Exactly, all us pc gamers are getting is shitty console ports, one game I was looking so long for, just cause 3 is just a shitty port, the performance is complete shit, you need at least a 980 ti to play it at 60 fps........

Spoiler

CPU: i7-6700K 4.7GHz GPU: GTX 980 STRIX 1337MHz CPU Cooler: H110i GTX AIO |

Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR | Case: NZXT H440 White PSU: CS750W |

PCPartPicker Link: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/43BkVn 

Exactly, all us pc gamers are getting is shitty console ports, one game I was looking so long for, just cause 3 is just a shitty port, the performance is complete shit, you need at least a 980 ti to play it at 60 fps........

Get used to it. When fans write an empty check to the manufacturers and developers, that's what happens.

i dont really see that happening. i think zen will perform well but i dont think it will get to high end intel cpu levels 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

yeah was looking forward to MKX shitty port and day 1 like 30gb patch wth. And when will we get a good RTS again feels bad that CNC generals is the only RTS i can play(dont like rts with unit caps). 

Old:Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHz, GIGABYTE GA-EP43T-UD3L, 4 GB Elixir PC3 ddr3-1333,  ASUS RADEON R7 260X, Thermaltake M9, 1TB HDD, GreatWall GW550SEL 550 WATT, BENQ GW2255, Hyper T4, Samson SR950 Headphones, fiio ek10.

To which I would reply "Well good thing I don't intend to create games on PCs for consoles". In fact they'll be for PCs since they're more powerful than the consoles. Reason why is that the consoles has to consume less power and not be a power drain like the most powerful PCs. To add on top of that, they have fewer cores, a weaker iGPU, and are clocked lower so that low power consumption can be achieved.

So yeah that's why consoles are weaker.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

i have a 780 and i get 60fps on my 1440p panel 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

No, 2016 will be the year of the Trump, which I have no idea how that relates the PC gaming, unless someone wants to play Trump simulator........ :P

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

There is always a lot of hype when it comes to new hardware. I'm the type of person who will 'believe it when I see it' when it comes to this things. And even if it's true a hardware can only be as good as the software.

"Graphics and gameplay are not mutually exclusive."

"Nvidia, AMD, Intel, or whatever company out there has only one end goal and that is PROFIT.

If you think these companies exist for any other reason you're gonna be disappointed my dear. CAVEAT EMPTOR"

To which I would reply "Well good thing I don't intend to create games on PCs for consoles". In fact they'll be for PCs since they're more powerful than the consoles. Reason why is that the consoles has to consume less power and not be a power drain like the most powerful PCs. To add on top of that, they have fewer cores, a weaker iGPU, and are clocked lower so that low power consumption can be achieved.

So yeah that's why consoles are weaker.

yeah thats fine, but then there's no reason for people with decent rigs to get new parts other than to do ridiculous stuff or VR.

Really wish steam machines took off but honestly the ui and seemlessness of consoles have yet to be matched. Easily create parties message people on the fly check profiles (I know that's sort of like steam but steam just isn't as good for it)

Have you played Fallout 4?  :P

Yes. Fallout 4 is not all the best hardware wise. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

CPUs are more powerful than we need currently.

Have you tried the latest AAA games which needs a good CPU to even run? Also wait for the next few/several years when I bring some of my AAA games to market which will utilize multithreading and an exceptional CPU is needed.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

I can't believe such negativity out of pc gamers who throw $1500 into building a system. I enjoy the hell out of my system and the games out now. Maybe you guys should spend your money elsewhere if you're not getting satisfaction out of this investment.

No, 2016 will be the year of the Trump, which I have no idea how that relates the PC gaming, unless someone wants to play Trump simulator........ :P

I really hope not.

yeah thats fine, but then there's no reason for people with decent rigs to get new parts other than to do ridiculous stuff or VR.

Or try to play AAA games at the highest possible settings. Even then why bother upgrading even the most ridiculous rigs if they play your AAA games at the settings and FPS you want?

RIGZ

Spoiler

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

QUOTES

Spoiler

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440