new graphics card installation no post

Rhinostril

Hello there,
I recently bought myself a second hand graphics card (an R9 290x)
the old card i have is a GTX650 , i moved my components into a bigger case with a beefy psu 

and swapt my current graphics card for the new one.
My system would not post or anything with the screen hooked to the card and with the card hooked to all the power connectors it has available,
It gave 1 long and 2 short beeps (which is -or si ive read- an indicator that it is the graphics card that's causing the issue)

so I went ahead and replaced my new card with my old card again to see if there was anything else causing this issue but the system booted up fine and everything is pretty much oke.
Then i turned my intention to the nvidea drivers, I went andremoved the gtx650 and deinstalled the drivers while using the onboard graphics , i tried to install the R9 290x drivers also before i plugged the card back in.
So the next bit really confuses me : while te monitor is still conected to the onboard graphics and the new card inserted in the pci slot , the beeps continue and no posting,
When i removed 1 pci 6 pin and 1 2 pin extention from the power slots in the 290x  (the monitor was still connected to the onboard graphics) it booted up just fine .
So i figured somehow the card works with only 1, 6 pin power cable and connected the 290X withthe monitor while it had the 1 6 pin attached and sure enough it did't boot again and gave the same beep message.

I am kinda lost over here , the r9 290x seems to be working (the fan speeds up  when attemting to boot) but I really don't know what else to do.
Basically , am I screwed or nah
Detailed spec list
I7 3770

gtx650 1gbvram  / R9 290x 4gb vram

1600watt psu recom (i know it's overkill)

antec p183 case 

8gb RAM

64gb ssd

2tb Hdd

Hello there,

I recently bought myself a second hand graphics card (an R9 290x)

the old card i have is a GTX650 , i moved my components into a bigger case with a beefy psu 

and swapt my current graphics card for the new one.

My system would not post or anything with the screen hooked to the card and with the card hooked to all the power connectors it has available,

It gave 1 long and 2 short beeps (which is -or si ive read- an indicator that it is the graphics card that's causing the issue)

so I went ahead and replaced my new card with my old card again to see if there was anything else causing this issue but the system booted up fine and everything is pretty much oke.

Then i turned my intention to the nvidea drivers, I went andremoved the gtx650 and deinstalled the drivers while using the onboard graphics , i tried to install the R9 290x drivers also before i plugged the card back in.

So the next bit really confuses me : while te monitor is still conected to the onboard graphics and the new card inserted in the pci slot , the beeps continue and no posting,

When i removed 1 pci 6 pin and 1 2 pin extention from the power slots in the 290x  (the monitor was still connected to the onboard graphics) it booted up just fine .

So i figured somehow the card works with only 1, 6 pin power cable and connected the 290X withthe monitor while it had the 1 6 pin attached and sure enough it did't boot again and gave the same beep message.

I am kinda lost over here , the r9 290x seems to be working (the fan speeds up  when attemting to boot) but I really don't know what else to do.

Basically , am I screwed or nah

Detailed spec list

I7 3770

gtx650 1gbvram  / R9 290x 4gb vram

1600watt psu recom (i know it's overkill)

antec p183 case 

8gb RAM

64gb ssd

2tb Hdd

Your CPU should have integrated graphics, so I would try taking the GPU out (completely) then booting to see if it posts. Also do the fans spin up on the card? (GPU?) 

You answered your own question. The monitor was connected to the onboard graphics on your CPU and not your graphics card. So the imgage you saw on your screen wasn't created by the GPU. You have to plug the monitor into the graphics card, otherwise the graphics card will simply do nothing.

Your CPU should have integrated graphics, so I would try taking the GPU out (completely) then booting to see if it posts. Also do the fans spin up on the card? (GPU?)

That's pretty much what he did by disconnecting one of the power cables of his GPU.

i tried that and it works opn it's own and , the fans work on all the cards

You answered your own question. The monitor was connected to the onboard graphics on your CPU and not your graphics card. So the imgage you saw on your screen wasn't created by the GPU. You have to plug the monitor into the graphics card, otherwise the graphics card will simply do nothing.

That's pretty much what he did by disconnecting one of the power cables of his GPU.

I just read the whole thing wow... didnt read the whole post before (im lazy)

That's pretty much what he did by disconnecting one of the power cables 

but it didn't post when i plugged the Gpu with the 6pin power

Well, then I guess your graphics card is simply dead.

I don't know what else to say. If you're lucky you can get your money back.

1. make sure your PSU has enough Amps on the 12 rail , even it its 1600w it could be 4x400w rails with crap Amps

2. make sure all the power connectors on the GPU are connected properly

3. make sure your iGPU is disabled

4. make sure the monitor is plugged into the GPU directly 

if it dosent boot after that then the 290x you got is DOA

My Pc Specs

CPU : AMD FX-8350 @stock w/Noctua NH D-14   Mobo: Asus M5A99FX    Ram : 16gb Corsair XMS3 @1600mhz    GPU : Gigabyte GTX970 Windforce OC 4GB @1429mhz   SSD: Sandisk X110 256gb    Case: Be Quiet Silent Base 800 Windowed  PSU: EVGA 850w g2  Peripherals : Corsair K70 w/Red Switches , Logitech G502 , Samsung SyncMaster S22B300 (1920x1080) , Ttesports Shock one headset , Phone : HTC one A9