Solid State Hybrid Drive?

Samuroot1987

Should i get one?

no.

Why not?

if you are getting a new harddrive, sure, but it's no replacement to an SSD

No, they're gimmicky if you ask me.

You should. I bought one for my PS3. It is MUUUUUCH snappier.

I agree it is slightly a gimmick, but for your boot drive (where the OS will be in the SSD part most of the time) it will make it quite a bit snappier without the SSD price and low capacity.

They are great.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Why not?

Because it's completely half assed. If it's not for a laptop, then no. 

For a basic explanation as to why not:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2025402/ssds-vs-hard-drives-vs-hybrids-which-storage-tech-is-right-for-you-.html

You should. I bought one for my PS3. It is MUUUUUCH snappier.

I agree it is slightly a gimmick, but for your boot drive (where the OS will be in the SSD part most of the time) it will make it quite a bit snappier without the SSD price and low capacity.

They are great.

In the case of a PS3, a hybrid drive would work better since the data being used is always repetitive and rarely is much new introduced.

Error: 410

it would be for a desktop

Buy all the planes! Im also bad at quoting!

In the case of a PS3, a hybrid drive would work better since the data being used is always repetitive and rarely is much new introduced.

it would be for a desktop

Let's be honest. If it is to be your Boot Drive, 95% (if not all) of the time, your OS/programs will be what is cached. This will give it the snappiness of an SSD (which is the major benefit to an SSD) without the aforementioned drawbacks of an SSD (Price and capacity). 

It would serve it's purpose almost perfectly. 

Also, think about this: Since it caches the most used files, the HDD would spin up less often. Less spin up means less heat/wear and tear. It would likely last much longer than a standard HDD would. Those usually last years anyway, but extra time is always nice for the ones more prone to fail.

It would basically cut out the extremes of HDDs that die in the first few months to 1 year.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

well its for a budget build. Want ssd snappieness but hdd storage

Buy all the planes! Im also bad at quoting!

well its for a budget build. Want ssd snappieness but hdd storage

That works fine. A sshd is not nearly as fast as a ssd + hdd though.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.