Cant get Anti-Aliasing work (R9 290)

Hello All,

I have a Asus R9 290 DirectCU II since years ago and i never able to make this card works to its best performance, tried to make a fresh install of Window 10 and latest AMD Crimson driver did not help too. Been playing around the settings but non of it makes any different other than FPS drop... I'm starting to think whether is there any bottleneck by other hardware. Please help to advise for what can i do to improve it, i've been waiting for year to play Bns but the graphic really turn me down... 

Here is my setup.

Intel i5 4670k (OC to 4.3 ghz)

Asus Maximus VII Ranger

Kingston Hyperx Savage 16GB (4x4)

Samsung EVO 850 250GB SSD (Window 10)

Asus R9 290 DirectCU II 4GB D5

Corsair RM850 850W

Cooler Master Seidon 120 XL

Acer G247HYL 24" Monitor 5ms

Game playing:

Blade & Soul-NA (Worst jaggies graphic)

League of Legend (Significant jaggies in bush & champions)

Need for Speed (Slow respond on background change)

CS-GO (By far the best graphic i played with my pc, little but not obvious jaggies)

Skyrim (Little glitches)

Dota 2 (Blurry images)

Metro 2033 (Much Better)

i'll try to take screenshot for each game if needed

No bottleneck, try contacting ASUS even though their support is pathetic.

Best Bench Runs & 24/7 Rig

Spoiler

Best Bench Runs

i5 4670k (XTU) - 4.7GHz Core / 4.5GHz Cache | GTX 980 (FireStrike Extreme) 1620MHz Core / 4000MHz Memory (GPUPI) 1721MHz | G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4GB - 2200MHz CL10-11-11-24 1T

Spoiler

24/7 Rig & Clocks

i5 4670k 4.5GHz (Swiftech H320) | MSI Z87 MPower Max | ASUS GTX 980 1580MHz 4000MHz (NZXT Kraken X41) | 3x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | Corsair Air 540 | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | 120GB Kingston SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda

You wouldn't happen to be looking for this would you?

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/499767-low-image-quality-on-newer-gpus/

(don't mind the first few posts, we've noticed this on AMD cards just as much)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

No bottleneck, try contacting ASUS even though their support is pathetic.

Ok, trying now

What's your ram speed? If it's at 1600mhz, overclock that shit. Report back.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Not sure if Ram speed really helps.. i actually tried with a Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB 2400MHz from another pc, it doesn't look much improvement... 

Hmm, just out of curiosity how do you know it's not the games? If you're at 1080p you'll get those effects.

Hmm, just out of curiosity how do you know it's not the games? If you're at 1080p you'll get those effects.

i have a few pc, a mid range with Pentium G3258 (OC) + GTX750ti & a Lenovo y410p, i used to play LAN, MMO games with my brother, most of them have slightly better graphic quality than i do, at-least smoother with less jaggies and better blur effects...  

They all run at 1080p except for the laptop of course... and they all just run pretty fine, maybe it's Nvidia  <_< but this AMD card cost me almost triple the price of GTX750 and it give me crappy performance... this really makes me annoyed...

But right now i need it to ply Bns, so i have to find a way to get it work or else i have to live with those jaggies... 

I think i'll try VSR, max it to 4k or something and see whether it helps... 

Sounds like you went from a small screen to a larger one, that increases the area without increasing the pixel count. Plug a 13" monitor into your PC and you'll see what I mean.

Hello All,

I have a Asus R9 290 DirectCU II since years ago and i never able to make this card works to its best performance, tried to make a fresh install of Window 10 and latest AMD Crimson driver did not help too. Been playing around the settings but non of it makes any different other than FPS drop... I'm starting to think whether is there any bottleneck by other hardware. Please help to advise for what can i do to improve it, i've been waiting for year to play Bns but the graphic really turn me down... 

Here is my setup.
Intel i5 4670k (OC to 4.3 ghz)
Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Kingston Hyperx Savage 16GB (4x4)
Samsung EVO 850 250GB SSD (Window 10)
Asus R9 290 DirectCU II 4GB D5
Corsair RM850 850W
Cooler Master Seidon 120 XL
Acer G247HYL 24" Monitor 5ms

Game playing:
Blade & Soul-NA (Worst jaggies graphic)
League of Legend (Significant jaggies in bush & champions)
Need for Speed (Slow respond on background change)
CS-GO (By far the best graphic i played with my pc, little but not obvious jaggies)
Skyrim (Little glitches)
Dota 2 (Blurry images)
Metro 2033 (Much Better)

i'll try to take screenshot for each game if needed

Check out the thread Ryan_Vickers posted. Jump to around page 20 and read on from there. 

Also, don't bother using the Crimson/Catalyst settings for overriding in-game AA settings. I've never had good results from that and most of the time, I found it never applied the settings properly or at all. Just use AF set to x16 and leave everything else set to "let application decide" and use in-game graphics settings. 

Also, as @App4that mentioned; if you've gone from a smaller to a larger display but with the same resolution, the image will not look as sharp and you will notice more jaggies etc. 1080p isn't very crisp by today's standards. Not with all the much higher pixel-density displays all around us now (phones, tablets, laptops etc.)

Ram speed doesn't effect visual quality and AA settings. ;) 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Check out the thread Ryan_Vickers posted. Jump to around page 20 and read on from there.

Also, don't bother using the Crimson/Catalyst settings for overriding in-game AA settings. I've never had good results from that and most of the time, I found it never applied the settings properly or at all. Just use AF set to x16 and leave everything else set to "let application decide" and use in-game graphics settings.

Also, as @App4that mentioned; if you've gone from a smaller to a larger display but with the same resolution, the image will not look as sharp and you will notice more jaggies etc. 1080p isn't very crisp by today's standards. Not with all the much higher pixel-density displays all around us now (phones, tablets, laptops etc.)

Was a shot from the hip that it might have been stuttering. I have pamphlets on the benefits of ram speed lol

Sounds like you went from a small screen to a larger one, that increases the area without increasing the pixel count. Plug a 13" monitor into your PC and you'll see what I mean.

I'll try to reinstall my driver using DDU and let everything run in stock, i remember i did something about GPU Scaling to make the display fit to my screen, i thought it was normal, will give it a try and report back

I'll try that and report back the result. You guys just remind me that there is a incident where everytime i reinstall a fresh window+AMD driver, i'll have to do some setting like GPU scaling to a percentage and make the display to fit my screen (There is a half inch black boarder gap between the display & the screen)

And here is a screenshot from BnS forum of their AA effect, it really does make different

MTSETGO.png

Honestly your screenshots look normal. You're using a 24" monitor, you should see it on my 27". Larger the monitor the larger the pixels.

I've been ignoring it since years ago, but come to this Blade & Soul game, i cant take it anymore while watching my brother playing just fine with a lower specs pc , i really have to do something now.. if u refer to the right screenshot at post #17, mine were like 50% worst than that... 

Here is mine

tT5dB9n.jpg

Well, you could enable VSR and run the game at 1440. See if that helps.

Well, you could enable VSR and run the game at 1440. See if that helps.

Ditto.

VSR should help the with the aliasing...to an extent.

BTW, according to AMD, the R9-290 supports VSR up to 3200 x 1600.

You need to balance the resolution with the performance, though, @raydeeyo.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/VSR.aspx

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Tried everything, even DDU & roll back to catalyst driver, doesn't help much... only VSR to 1440 can make some slightly different 

I'll try that and report back the result. You guys just remind me that there is a incident where everytime i reinstall a fresh window+AMD driver, i'll have to do some setting like GPU scaling to a percentage and make the display to fit my screen (There is a half inch black boarder gap between the display & the screen)

If you have black bars it means you're not running at the monitors native resolution. Can you elaborate on this?

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

If you have black bars it means you're not running at the monitors native resolution. Can you elaborate on this?

Ya, it do have black bars around the display when i was using Crimson, but after i DDU and install OEM AMD driver (Catalyst) it just default to 1080p which is the my monitor max resolution. Everything is still same, CS GO, Bns still have the jaggies everywhere, especially the trees & shadow...

Tried everything, nothing seems working other than downsampling to 1440 or more to minimize the bad part

Here is what i tried, 

1) DDU & reinstall latest OEM driver (AMD Catalyst)

2) Return to all stock status (CPU & Ram Overclock)

3) Swap HDD with Window 8.1 installed (Installed with OEM driver)

4) Swap PC (Intel G3258 OC + Asus Z97M Plus + 750W PSU)

5) Optimize with RadeonPRO (Force AA & others to games)

6) VSR to 1440p (The only thing that works but FPS drop to 20++)