Choosing a Laptop

sci4me

So I am looking to buy myself a nice laptop. I have two options in mind: a MacBook Pro or a Razer Blade Stealth. So, the Mac is uber-expensive and the Razer is relatively cheap. 

One of the most important things about this to me is the physical properties of the laptop. The Razer looks very similar to the Mac to me. A similar design. I guess my only complaint about the Razer is that the bezels look a bit large.

As far as specs go, to put it simply: the Mac would be a quad-core i7 and 16 GB of RAM, and the Razer would be a dual-core i7 and 8 GB of RAM.

Now, I intend to install linux on it when I get it. I am going to use almost solely for programming (which means a text editor and a terminal, I probably won't even use a fancy IDE all that often). So I think the Razer would actually suit my performance needs for what I'm doing pretty decently.

As for size and resolution, the smaller it is the better and the Razer is already a resolution upgrade for me compared to what I have on my desktop, so it's definitely good enough.

And the 128 GB SSD in the Razer would be more than enough; linux takes next to nothing and the extra ~100 GB would be for my stuff.

Obviously putting linux on the Mac could be a little more complex, but my friend did it so I'm sure I could.

I guess my only real concerns are: 1. is it going to suit my performance needs (i THINK...) and 2. the physical properties of it. I know I want it to be physically like the MacBook (learned that from my friend's). It does appear to be very similar but I haven't seen/felt one irl so I'm not sure.

So, what do you guys think? I mean, for 999$ I really think the Razer might be right for me. 

If you want a laptop get a laptop, not an over-hyped netbook with a suitcase attached to it

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

See that's what I'm thinking. The Mac is SO overpriced... really not willing to drop that much on it.

But do you think the Razer will suit my needs? (I really wish I could try one out before buying... to tell if I like it physically...)

I don't think that you should buy either of those.(Or at least i wouldn't personaly.) I would go for something like the ASUS ROG GL552VW-DH71, which comes with it's own deticated GPU unlike the Razer Blade Stealth and the the Macbook, well it's a mac. So unless you need a program that only runs of OSX then go for a laptop with a deticated Gpu like the one I mentioned or something similar.

I can't believe your even considering buying a mac. The razor is almost the same as a macbook air as linus said in his coverage of CES 2016. Its just alot cheaper and isnt a mac which is a plus. A mac is like something that rots from the inside, although the best part is its already rotten! The outside is all modern and sleek and it has all these useless cosmetic features but the inside of a mac is something even the bravest of men would not venture into. I get a shiver up my spine when I hear someone mention i, o and s in that order.

Current Build: CPU - AMD 5800K 4.2GHz w/ Stock Cooler :( | Motherboard - ASRock FM82A88 Extreme 4 Plus | Memory - Crucial 8GB Single Stick 1600MHz | GPU - AMD Radeon R7 260X 2GB | Storage - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM

Project: Just let me play Black Ops... PLEASE!!! - https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/ion529/saved/#view=VKm9TW

I don't think that you should buy either of those.(Or at least i wouldn't personaly.) I would go for something like the ASUS ROG GL552VW-DH71, which comes with it's own deticated GPU unlike the Razer Blade Stealth and the the Macbook, well it's a mac. So unless you need a program that only runs of OSX then go for a laptop with a deticated Gpu like the one I mentioned or something similar.

I don't think I need a dedicated GPU. I'm doing text editing and internet browsing...

My top priority really is the physical design of it. I like that the Razer is small, slim, sleep, etc.

I can't believe your even considering buying a mac. The razor is almost the same as a macbook air as linus said in his coverage of CES 2016. Its just alot cheaper and isnt a mac which is a plus. A mac is like something that rots from the inside, although the best part is its already rotten! The outside is all modern and sleek and it has all these useless cosmetic features but the inside of a mac is something even the bravest of men would not venture into. I get a shiver up my spine when I hear someone mention i, o and s in that order.

I can't believe it either honestly. I should feel bad :P

You shouldn't consider a macbook unless you are going to use it for both the os and the device. I have a macbook pro for programing as well, but It probably depends on what you program in. I could tell you that the keyboard and trackpad are far better than other laptops I've tried, but I can't compare it to the razor since I haven't tried one. So in the end if your simply going to buy a laptop to use linux on it and nothing else, go with the razor. If there is a chance you might use osx, go to your local best buy and test the macbook pro before buying it.

You shouldn't consider a macbook unless you are going to use it for both the os and the device. I have a macbook pro for programing as well, but It probably depends on what you program in. I could tell you that the keyboard and trackpad are far better than other laptops I've tried, but I can't compare it to the razor since I haven't tried one. So in the end if your simply going to buy a laptop to use linux on it and nothing else, go with the razor. If there is a chance you might use osx, go to your local best buy and test the macbook pro before buying it.

No, I would rather kill myself than use OSX. 

I am almost sold on the Razer. Especially after watching Linus's videos about it.

I am fairly convinced that it's specs will be AT LEAST a little more than enough for what I intend to do on it. 

Razer.

A MacBook is pretty much a netbook (see my profile so you can see specs of an actual netbook) that is 5x more expensive than normal. They are expensive because of customers who want to waste their money.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB