DOS gaming, What are some of the pc games you remember playing as a child?

RainColt

I Started this hoping to recall some of he games I used to play back when computers had megabytes of harddrive space and you would play games off of floppy disks.

I remember Castle of the winds, me and my brothers would play that game for hours and it was soo cool, you controlled a sprite of a shirtless man holding a dagger and you could buy and sell weapons and magic in the village south of the castle and you would go into the castle and fight hobgoblins and giants and bats and snakes and it was soo cool, only recently did I find out that what I was playing was a demo, or atleast that is what I assume because I never got to go to the second town and instead just had to grind in the first castle hoping that there would eventually be an end...If there was I never saw it.

I also remember playing Commander Keen, I don't remeber being to fond of it but it was pretty alright.

There is also one more game that I remember playing...I don't remember the name of it but I remember it being similar to the icecaves in pokemon, there were green tiles that would send you in a direction out of control and would slip out of control on the ice if you didn't have the proper boots, and If I recall correctly you had to collect coloured keys which would unlock walls in the level so you could proceed, It was a really fun game but It's been so long that I just cant remember the name of it.

So what are the games that you remeber playing as a youngling before you knew how a computer worked or what parts were in your computer?

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

anyone play taxi for the commodore 64..??? all green blocks with huge flopys for games... my first pc. there were tons of knock of arcade games on there it was epic for its time

Megarace, Tie Fighter, and those educational games in school where you did math equations to fill up your fighter jet before a sidescrolling bombing run.

I'm not old enough to remember plain old DOS as a kid, the first computer I remember had 95, and I didn't know how to run that. The first computer that was mine was a Pentium MMX with windows 98, so I did play games here and there that used DOS's protected mode, like Redneck Rampage.

In the past 4 years or so I've really looked back on PCs before my time and I really enjoy playing old games like Tyrian 2k, Commander Keen 4, Doom and all them. I still need to find myself a 286 machine... the oldest one I have right now is a 486DX 33mhz, 20mb 32 pin SIMM ram, SB16 and kind of stuff.

Old shit no one cares about but me.

i remember playing the old prince of persia on dos which had a 1hr limit, amazing game

then there was doom and all that stuff, but prince of persia was the best

Chips Challenge on the school PCs and was lucky enough to have a teacher who owned the original DOOM who let us play at lunch =D

First DOS game ever was Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold. Ran off a floppy disk !!

Microsoft Flight Simulator and Megarace where to 2 games I played. First computer had Windows 3.11 on it so most if not all software ran in DOS. Hell I don't remember what hardware was in that machine just that it was a Packard Bell Computer.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Lemmings and the oregon trail, both fun games for the time

CPU: AMD FX-8350 - Noctua NH-D14 | Asus Crosshair V Formula | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Plextor M5P Extreme 256GB SSD

GPU - Asus AMD Radeon 6950 Direct CU II 2GB |

Seasonic 1000 W Platinum | Cooler Master 690 ii Advanced | Asus VE248H + VE248Q

My best memories were playing these few games.

Wolfenstien 3D

Blake Stone

Doom

lemmings

Later on there was

command and conquer

Heroes of Might and Magic

Those games stand out most prominently when I think back to my early pc gaming experiences.

There was also some weird knock off of pacman with spiders and such.

Oh and there was this one amazing car game I can't for the life of me remember the name, it was a drag racing game where you earn money from winning races then can upgrade your car in the garage before bigger races. It also came with a massive large booklet needed to get the game running, it would ask you for certain info from random pages it was weird but amazing.

**upon looking it up, the drag race game was Street Rod 2. dang I think I might have to look it up and throw it into dosbox.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

Frogger and ABC learning :) :P

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

Anyone play Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?

Best game to this date ... Oregon Trail. I loved that game.