Advice for using 60mm XE rad from EKWB?

XzzDSA

Heyo o/

So I recently build a new rig in the Corsair Carbide Air 240 case.
I realized when I received my new dual rad, that I'd bought a 60mm instead of something more reasonable like, 45mm.

I decided to just go ahead and use it, and I ACTUALLY made it fit into the front of the cabinet.

So atm, I'm running two AP121's in the front of the rad in a 'push' config, pulling in air from the front of the case.
I like to run my system as quite as possible, so I originally ran all of my fans at 5v. Turns out the two fans in the front are just not pushing enough air through the thick and dense rad. So currently running 7v, which is enough to keep the temps under control, but I'm not exactly happy with them.

The problem is the fans are only secured to the rad, and as the rad is basically the same hight as the internal structure, it's not moving. My only real concern with this is that I'm not sure if this has an impact on the way the fans perform, as they are not sitting up against the edge of the case.

So with the backstory overwith, I'm looking for advice to what I can do to optimize this config. 
Should I try and duct the air to the fans?
Should I consider other fans?

Do I even have a choice in the matter of fan speed if I want better temperatures?

The room the pc is running is no hotter than 23c after a whole day of the pc on. 

I'll update with actual temps if you want them, but my cpu is peaking at around 75c under load, which I think is a little excessive with the capacity of the rad I'm using. (Similar story with my GPU).

Regards

XzzDSA

Everyone have a cool signature. I don't, so I thought I would write something.

- Cool right?

-SNIP-

Are your running a CPU and GPU loop only on a 240mm rad? Ideally you woudl want 120mm of rad space per component plus an extra 120mm, the more rads the better the cooling potential when the fans are just idling, even with full load. 

The XE rads don't have a super dense fin array or FPI, maybe around medium, but you could try doing a push pull config which does help move air through the rad better. If your only running a 240mm though and want absolute silence adding another 240mm to the setup wouldn't hurt.

Are your running a CPU and GPU loop only on a 240mm rad? Ideally you woudl want 120mm of rad space per component plus an extra 120mm, the more rads the better the cooling potential when the fans are just idling, even with full load. 

The XE rads don't have a super dense fin array or FPI, maybe around medium, but you could try doing a push pull config which does help move air through the rad better. If your only running a 240mm though and want absolute silence adding another 240mm to the setup wouldn't hurt.

Not sure you completely understand the situation.

The case is the Air 240 :) 

With the 60mm rad, it means there is NO option for push+pull unfortunally. Also the front of the case is the only place for a rad when using an m-atx board like I am.

And as for cooling capacity. To my knowledge , a 60mm dual rad should be more than capable of cooling an i7 6700k and a GTX 980.

I guess the it boils down to this:

Do you think the fan-setup can improve in anyway apart from turning up the fan-speed?

If so, how:

Other fans?

Ducting of some kind?

Anything else?

Thanks for the reply :)

- Cool right?

-SNIP-

For a 240mm rad setup your at the bare minimum for a CPU and GPU loop, being a thick rad helps minorly but between a thin and thick rad the difference is very little maybe 5C at most. The air 240 does have a fair bit of cooling space so adding in another 240mm rad will help greatly with silent cooling which is what your are trying to achieve, a 240mm rad can cool both the CPU and GPU but that doesn't mean it will be dead silent.

For a 240mm rad setup your at the bare minimum for a CPU and GPU loop, being a thick rad helps minorly but between a thin and thick rad the difference is very little maybe 5C at most. The air 240 does have a fair bit of cooling space so adding in another 240mm rad will help greatly with silent cooling which is what your are trying to achieve, a 240mm rad can cool both the CPU and GPU but that doesn't mean it will be dead silent.

I appreciate the time you take to try and help me. But I really think you are overestimating what a 240 is capable of housing.

- Cool right?

I appreciate the time you take to try and help me. But I really think you are overestimating what a 240 is capable of housing.

EDIT:

The carbide 240 while being a smaller case is still capable of squeezing in another rad like a 120 or 240 which will give better temps to noise.

Edited by W-L

You could try a static pressure fan seeing you are using the AP series, try the SP series as they are optimised to deal with restrictions like radiators. 

I cooled a 4690K and 290x with a 240mm x 35mm rad with temps settling at 55 deg cels degs so you'd be fine with a 60mm rad it's just trying to get air efficiently through the rads.

edit: a photo of your setup might be helpful

EDIT:

The carbide 240 while being a smaller case is still capable of squeezing in another rad like a 120 or 240 which will give better temps to noise.

Trust me, noooooooo. No can do.

You could try a static pressure fan seeing you are using the AP series, try the SP series as they are optimised to deal with restrictions like radiators. 

I cooled a 4690K and 290x with a 240mm x 35mm rad with temps settling at 55 deg cels degs so you'd be fine with a 60mm rad it's just trying to get air efficiently through the rads.

edit: a photo of your setup might be helpful

AP121 is Static Pressure optimized from Silverstone :) They're their penetrator fans.

- Cool right?

AP121 is Static Pressure optimized from Silverstone :) They're their penetrator fans.

Thought it was a typo

If you can't fit anything or squeeze something in the rear section of the case, then the only other thing I can really suggest is to get some really quiet pressure fans like Noctua NF-F12's, the AP121 aren't bad but may not be as quiet near full speed.

If you can't fit anything or squeeze something in the rear section of the case, then the only other thing I can really suggest is to get some really quiet pressure fans like Noctua NF-F12's, the AP121 aren't bad but may not be as quiet near full speed.

Yeah. That's what I've been thinking, I know AP121's are def not the quitest fans in the world if you want to run them faster.

I think I'll consider going for some F12's.  Though before I do I'll have to be certain they can push the amount of air required without making too much noise.. 

But then again, if they can't do that, I'll have a hard time finding any fan that actually CAN do that. Maybe some noiseblockers but they don't really fit my scheme.

- Cool right?

Do you have pics of your setup? I'm wondering if you can squeeze a slim 140 or 240 into the bottom intake. It'll be tight with the gpu right above it.

http://www.dazmode.com/_forum/showthread.php?1528-Stuffing-a-small-box-Corsair-Carbide-Air-240-build

In fact, I would consider selling the EK XE and buying two Black Ice Nemisis GTS 240s. Their slim and do really well with low rpm fans. Check out the review for the 360 rads.

http://www.xtremerigs.net/2015/02/11/radiator-round-2015/5/

Build Log - Liquid Black Fury

Do you have pics of your setup? I'm wondering if you can squeeze a slim 140 or 240 into the bottom intake. It'll be tight with the gpu right above it.

http://www.dazmode.com/_forum/showthread.php?1528-Stuffing-a-small-box-Corsair-Carbide-Air-240-build

In fact, I would consider selling the EK XE and buying two Black Ice Nemisis GTS 240s. Their slim and do really well with low rpm fans. Check out the review for the 360 rads.

http://www.xtremerigs.net/2015/02/11/radiator-round-2015/5/

No rad will fit because of the motherboard. There's not enough width unfortunally.

- Cool right?

Do what I did. Buy a new case. Haha.

Or just mount a radiator externally. It won't be pretty though. 

right.

- Cool right?