Very Low FPS in Skyrim with a GTX 980

SweetGenius1345

I have very low FPS in Skyrim with a GTX 980 installed...I have no idea what is going on. I usually manage to keep a 15-20FPS outdoors while having 40-60 FPS indoors. I've been tweaking Skyrim for so long now and its driving me crazy with its crappy engine. I have reinstalled my Skyrim twice, reinstalled my all my mods three times, and have tweaked my ini settings...but to no avail.

I have other games I have tested to make sure it isn't my computer. The Heaven Benchmark with Ultra everything gave me a benchmark height of 101fps to a benchmark low of 14fps. But everything was mostly a very consistent 50-60 FPS.

Here is my rig:

- Intel i7 4790

- GTX 980

- 600w PSU

- 16GB DDR3

I have pretty much all 2K textures with decently dense grass. I also have K-ENB Pure Light Performance Version. When I turn off my ENB, I still get huge FPS stutters.

I have V-Sync turned off in the Nvidea Control Panel and in my SkyrimPrefs.ini. I also have updated drivers for everything; so at least everything is up-to-date. 

Any idea on how to fix this?

Thanks.

Try putting the game back to default, you may have mods conflicting. You should be pulling much higher numbers than that, my 970 ran skyrim + hd and some mods at 4k with no issues and that was prior to adding the 2nd one 

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Maybe it's one of the mods not working right with some other mods, or perhaps one of the mods has been updated recently and the update was a bad update. I play Skyrim with really heavy texture mods on a 760 and I still get 60fps with lowest I get around 47fps. 

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R

Get a better GPU :P

? A GTX 980 is the 3rd best card in Nvidia's current Lineup...

How is that even helping op

Spoiler

CPU: i7-6700K 4.7GHz GPU: GTX 980 STRIX 1337MHz CPU Cooler: H110i GTX AIO |

Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR | Case: NZXT H440 White PSU: CS750W |

PCPartPicker Link: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/43BkVn 

It will be mods conflicting with each other. Disable them and see what happens. If that fixes it, enable your mods and try adjusting your load order.

• AMD Athlon X4 760K CPU   |   MSI FM2+ ATX A88X-G45 Motherboard   |   8GB 1600MHz RAM   |   MSI GTX 760 GPU (Reference)
  • Thermaltake Versa H22 Case   |   1TB Seagate, 0.5TB Hitachi (7200RPM)   |   ArcticRed+ 700WStock    |   Windows 8.1

? A GTX 980 is the 3rd best card in Nvidia's current Lineup...

whooosh

I'm a fucking AMD kawaii weeaboo desu I have seen the light

i5 6600k EVGA 980 FTW Z170A PC Mate 1TB WD Blue240GB SSD Plus NZXT S340 | EVGA 600b  | Dedotated 8GB

Help, my car won't go past 60mph! It's pulling a trailer filled with a 3 tons of bricks, but that's besides the point!

I think the solution is obvious, lose the trailer (mods)

I have 80 mods....not 600 lol

-fiona-

-donkey-

-shrek-

yea but hows that help op at all.... Ik its a joke.... I was saying it is a good GPU so it shouldn't be having any issues playing skyrim even with mods. Seems like their conflicting.

Spoiler

yea but hows that help op at all.... Ik its a joke.... I was saying it is a good GPU so it shouldn't be having any issues playing skyrim even with mods. Seems like their conflicting.

This Forum is 35% Humor, 15% Component Arguments, 40% Help, and 10%. If you haven't run into people joking about a solution yet, then I'd say you ain't posting enough.

This Forum is 35% Humor, 15% Component Arguments, 40% Help, and 10%. If you haven't run into people joking about a solution yet, then I'd say you ain't posting enough.

I personally would like a bit more than 40% help but whatever :/ Something has to keep people engaged.

Spoiler

Have you tried using LOOT to order your plugins? Plus it will tell you of two mods are incompatible most of the times