Computer will only post in safemode or if Graphics driver is disabled

HaroldDexter

Windows 7 64x
8 gbs of corsair ram
MSI PcMate z97
MSI GTX970 
Intel Dual core 3g3250

My computer powered off suddenly and now when i turn it on the following things happen. 

1 the prebios graphic is strecthed and does not fit the screen 

2. if I press f 11 and go into the bios menu its grabbled

If the gpu driver is disabled I can login into my account

if it is enabled I can hear the computer make the sound of windows starting through my external speakers but no image 

Any ideas on what could cause this?

I would say that the GPU is damaged, but you should try to reinstall the driver, if doesnt work, the whole OS.

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD

Windows 7 64x

8 gbs of corsair ram

MSI PcMate z97

MSI GTX970 

Intel Dual core 3g3250

My computer powered off suddenly and now when i turn it on the following things happen. 

if it is enabled I can hear the computer make the sound of windows starting through my external speakers but no image 

the mobos own little gpu doesent fit your screen? yeah iv had that, i would need to make a video about how to make it work but i don't have time for that. your gpu has dieded(probably).

reinstall graphics driver? try using your gpu in different pci slot? clear cmos, could it work then? try using different cable(hdmi, vga or whatever)?

Windows 7 64x

8 gbs of corsair ram

MSI PcMate z97

MSI GTX970 

Intel Dual core 3g3250

I had a similiar issue when my graphics driver got corrupted. I had to do a Windows reinstall to fix it.

I had a similiar issue when my graphics driver got corrupted. I had to do a Windows reinstall to fix it.

I have reinstalled the graphics drivers multiple times. 

I have yet to reinstall the OS, though, I thought it might be an issue with the OS and upgraded to windows 10. The results have stayed the same. 

The computer is working fine without the GPU enabled. which makes me think it must be the a damaged GPU. 

I will test a different pci slot and try reformatting and post results. 

Thank you so far, everyone, for the input. 

I have reinstalled the graphics drivers multiple times. 

I have yet to reinstall the OS, though, I thought it might be an issue with the OS and upgraded to windows 10. The results have stayed the same. 

The computer is working fine without the GPU enabled. which makes me think it must be the a damaged GPU. 

I will test a different pci slot and try reformatting and post results. 

Thank you so far, everyone, for the input. 

It could be a damaged GPU. But a driver corruption (which isn't always solved by a reinstall) as well as power issues can cause problems which troubleshoot in the exact same way that a GPU failure does. Since the GPU isn't exactly one of the cheaper components, be absolutely sure that you rule everything else out first. Unless you're looking for a good reason to get that GPU upgrade you've been wanting >.>