Upcoming build, wanna hear some opinions

Hey guys,

I'm getting some money in the near future and would like to build my own pc: I'm living in Italy (so currency is €) and I'm planning to buy everything from Amazon Italy.

I'll be using this pc to (hopefully) develop software, some gaming and simple video editing (basic stuff) and I've thought of these components:

- CPU: Intel Core i7-6700

- Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170-HDP3

- Graphics Card: XFX R9 380 4GB Double Dissipation

- RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133MHz 2x8GB

- SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

- HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB

- PSU: Antec VP600P

- Case: Aerocool Aero-500 Gaming with window & card reader

- Monitor: AOC e2460Sh 24''

Total price is around €1200 (usually lower, due to Amazon deals).

I've got some doubts which I hope you might help figure out:

- I've recently seen that it's possible to overclock non-K CPUs, like the i7-6700 simply upgrading the MB to a custom BIOS: has anyone here done that?

- Would you change any of my choices? If so, why?

Thanks to anyone who will reply here!

I'd get a hexacore 5820K instead, should be more suited for your kind of work. The PSU is kind of meh, I'd get a SeaSonic 620W S12II or the Antec HCG instead.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Hey guys,

I'm getting some money in the near future and would like to build my own pc: I'm living in Italy (so currency is €) and I'm planning to buy everything from Amazon Italy.

I'll be using this pc to (hopefully) develop software, some gaming and simple video editing (basic stuff) and I've thought of these components:

- I've recently seen that it's possible to overclock non-K CPUs, like the i7-6700 simply upgrading the MB to a custom BIOS: has anyone here done that?

Try PcPartPicker. The overclock thing is real, Linus showed a computer that had been done that in one of his videos. Might change the PSU, something like one of their HCG or anyhting from XFX or Seasonic. Otherwise, you're good.

I'd get a hexacore 5820K instead, should be more suited for your kind of work. The PSU is kind of meh, I'd get a SeaSonic 620W S12II or the Antec HCG instead.

Yeah, I agree that you should get an Intel Core i7 5820K instead. You also need to change your motherboard if you do that.

For the monitor I would go with an IPS panel for better colors since you are doing software development and editing. I don't know what kind of games you play, but if it is competitive gaming I would go with a 144 Hz monitor.

Hey guys,

I'd go for a GS 650. Its fully modular, 80+ Gold, made by SeaSonic and is Tier 1. I'd also go for the MSI R9 380

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

Thanks all for the replies!

This is the PcPartPicker list, changing the Antec VP600 to a SeaSonic S12II 620W; but do I really need those 600+W? Calculating the power consumption, a 550W or even lower might do the work for me, so I could even lead to a 450W or 500W Gold PSU.

What is your budget and what games will you be playing?

I wouldn't spend more money than €1300 and right now my cart price at Amazon is €1257, so I'd pick the i7-6700 instead of the i7-5820K, it's just out of my budget.

Hey guys,

1. if you have a non-k (non overclockable) cpu, i would get a h170 motherboard instead. z boards are meant for overclocking and crossfire/sli configurations
  2. i'd recommend the msi r9 380 at 4gb instead as i know for sure that it's not voltage locked

1. if you have a non-k (non overclockable) cpu, i would get a h170 motherboard instead. z boards are meant for overclocking and crossfire/sli configurations
  2. i'd recommend the msi r9 380 at 4gb instead as i know for sure that it's not voltage locked

I've seend the steps to overclock a non-K skylake cpu, that's why I've chosen a z series board: I plan to keep this pc for some time (maybe 3-4 years) without changing these components and overclocking the cpu might come in handy

What do you mean by saying MSI R9 380 isn't voltage locked?

I've seend the steps to overclock a non-K skylake cpu, that's why I've chosen a z series board: I plan to keep this pc for some time (maybe 3-4 years) without changing these components and overclocking the cpu might come in handy

What do you mean by saying MSI R9 380 isn't voltage locked?

ther performance you'll notice from overclocking a 4460 on a zboard will be minimal

some gpus are voltage locked meaning you can't overclock them as well because they won't allow you to change the voltage parameters. unlocked voltage control is best for gpu overclocking.