Ubuntu Phones, now a tablet?

Agons

Does anyone think this is going to any good? I mean hey I never liked android all that much but a Ubuntu OS styled Linux tablet and phone might be fun!

What do you guys think?

Work Station:: Cooler Master Storm Trooper // i7-3930K @ 3.9 GHz // Asus Sabertooth X79 // Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4X4GB) 1600 MHz // Cooler Master 1200W Gold // Xonar Essence STX // Radeon HD 6970 // Avermedia HD Live Gamer Pro

Gaming Rig:: Cooler Master Scout // i7-2700k @ 4.0GHz // MSI Z68 // G-Skill Ripjaw 16GB (4X4EB) 1066MHz // Antec 750W Bronze // Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD // EVGA GTX 670

I like the phone but I think tablets are stupid anyway. Have you seen Linux action show talk about their impressions? I think they have a good point about it.

I like the phone but I think tablets are stupid anyway. Have you seen Linux action show talk about their impressions? I think they have a good point about it.
I just watched the episode, very informative about what might happen.

-Thank you

Work Station:: Cooler Master Storm Trooper // i7-3930K @ 3.9 GHz // Asus Sabertooth X79 // Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4X4GB) 1600 MHz // Cooler Master 1200W Gold // Xonar Essence STX // Radeon HD 6970 // Avermedia HD Live Gamer Pro

Gaming Rig:: Cooler Master Scout // i7-2700k @ 4.0GHz // MSI Z68 // G-Skill Ripjaw 16GB (4X4EB) 1066MHz // Antec 750W Bronze // Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD // EVGA GTX 670

I installed the ubuntu touch developer preview onto my nexus 7 the other day. Although most of the features on it didn't work, the layout is quite nice. These days people are still app crazy and that will probably still be the case once the full version becomes available and will probably cause the OS to lag in popularity compared to iOS and Android. I'm looking forward to having a complete version of it and will likely trial it on a nexus 4 once it's a full fledged OS.

Yeah storm they said that they will not have some kind of apps, so idk if it will pick up if that is the case.

From what it says on the website it may be able to run andriod apps?

"

[h=2]Easier hardware enablement[/h]

We have teams based in Taipei, Shanghai, London, Beijing and Boston to engage with your engineering and factory operations – and their sole focus is to deliver a crisp Ubuntu experience on your device.

Ubuntu has already been adapted to run on chipsets using the ARM and Intel x86 architectures relevant for mobile devices, with the core system based around a typical Android Board Support Package (BSP). So chipset vendors and hardware manufacturers do not need to invest in or maintain new hardware support packages for Ubuntu on smartphones. In short, if you already make handsets that run Android, the work needed to adopt Ubuntu will be trivial."

http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/phone/operators-and-oems

• 2 weeks later...

I am very excited with the concept that you have your phone you can then dock it to make a tablet an the interface adapts, or you dock it to a monitor and it becomes a full desktop OS. It also mean that instead of having to upgrade your PC, tablet and phone every few years you only have to upgrade one (though this depends on the manufacturers not needlessly forcing people to upgrade all 3 with stupid pin changes ect.) This could easily be solved if Canonical make a 'nexus' device.

I think the main concern is app support but with it being full Ubuntu I would thing emulators for android apps will be made.

I'm not exactly sure if Ubuntu will take off but I definitely want the concept to, I was a little disappointed that Microsoft didn't push for it more by letting windows 8 be able to be a phone OS, you can see some android manufacturers thinking that this is the way forward Samsung has a monitor dock for its Note 2 which allows it to be a 'computer'.

So overall very excited.