4670k - Worth it?

Go to solution Solved by Ribozyme,

i only have the doubt because I keep getting told that they arnt worth even bothering to overclock unless you're lucky and get a sent a decent one. thats all. but I only plan on OC to 4Ghz any way, so from the sounds of what every one here is saying, I'll be fine. but pushing it a little further every now and then just to benchmark whore needs to be done.

The H100i is a nice cooler, looks pretty too.....as for noise, couldnt care less. I  always have a headset on when Im behind my computer so couldnt notice it any way.

Most people are talking out of there ass. Go for it, you will be more than happy with that beast of a cpu.

So, after hearing all the fuss about how bad the 4670k is for overclocking, I have to ask.

Is buying an unlocked Haswell I5 worth it, or should I save money and just go for one of the cheaper locked versions.

Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini / Motherboard:GigaByte G1-Sniper-M5 / CPU: Intel 4670k / Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600mhz / GPU: Asus GTX770 Direct CU 2GB / PSU: OCZ ZT650 / SSD: 2xSamsung 840 240GB / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB / Cooler: Corsair H100i / Fans: 3x Corsair AF120 + 2 Corsair SP120 / Mouse: Corsair M65 / Keyboard: Cheap Crap/ Headset: Razer Kraken / Misk: 3DConnexion mouse / Flight stick: Cyborg F.L.Y 5

It's still worth it, as it even stock is the best performing i5 out there.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

It is definitely worth it, if you're worried about temps, and would like more freedom to OC, then why not get a 3570k instead?

If you want better efficiency and the features then yes but if no a 8350/8320 would be a better option

It is definitely worth it, if you're worried about temps, and would like more freedom to OC, then why not get a 3570k instead?

2500k is better for overclocking

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

"If you're building your own PC and you're not overclocking, you're not doing it right." --Linus.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Tbh, I have no interest in getting an AMD chip, Im a Snob for Intel.

I want to overclock. but i want this to be a haswell build just for gaming purpose and light editing work. so Overclocking would be nice, but if they are as bad as people are saying, then should I save what ever pennies I can and just go for the 4440 instead.

Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini / Motherboard:GigaByte G1-Sniper-M5 / CPU: Intel 4670k / Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600mhz / GPU: Asus GTX770 Direct CU 2GB / PSU: OCZ ZT650 / SSD: 2xSamsung 840 240GB / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB / Cooler: Corsair H100i / Fans: 3x Corsair AF120 + 2 Corsair SP120 / Mouse: Corsair M65 / Keyboard: Cheap Crap/ Headset: Razer Kraken / Misk: 3DConnexion mouse / Flight stick: Cyborg F.L.Y 5

Tbh, I have no interest in getting an AMD chip, Im a Snob for Intel.

I want to overclock. but i want this to be a haswell build just for gaming purpose and light editing work. so Overclocking would be nice, but if they are as bad as people are saying, then should I save what ever pennies I can and just go for the 4440 instead.

My 4670k overclocks perfectly fine.   If you get lucky they're great chips, you just need to get lucky.

Most will be able to overclock to at least 4.4, I would say from the people on the forum.  Some people just either aren't doing it right or have awful chips.

Mine will run 4.6Ghz with a Hyper 212 Evo with temps no higher than 90c during stress tests.

If you want pure clocks find a 2500K on eBay or Craig's list

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

"If you're building your own PC and you're not overclocking, you're not doing it right." --Linus.

I swear you have a macro set aside for this :P

i5 4670k | Sapphire 7950 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB | G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 8GB

PB238Q | Steelseries Sensei | Ducky DK9087 | Qck Heavy

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/44902-from-imac-to-my-own-creation/

I swear you have a macro set aside for this :P

I've been saying it a bit more lately but it applies in this situation.  :)

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Its worth it imo because you would be able to overclock it in the future in order to get better performance out of it but your overclock may depend on your cooling and the chip that you will buy: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/06/01/intel_haswell_i74770k_ipc_overclocking_review/6

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I don't really see the benefit in buying haswell at this junction, the current chipset has been confirmed to be incompatible with Broadwell, the Haswell processors are slightly more expensive than their Ivy Bridge counterparts and they do not overclock as well.

A 4.4 4670k beats a 4.7 3570k and generally consumes less in doing so. If you are buying a chip today for gaming drfinitely go 4670k. No sense in going with older tek just to say look I can overclock higher, especially if it doesn't give you a performance advantage.

If you are thinking of upgrading, go with the 4670K, however if it is a new build I would go with an AMD FX-8350. The reason for this is that the 4670K and 8350 perform nearly identically in an awful lot of games, but if you intend to stream go with the FX-8350 as you will be able to get a higher frame rate whilst streaming and playing, leaning towards a better experience for you without your viewers have to cope with sub par quality.

Sam,

Intel Response Squad member

http://bit.ly/IntelRally

If you are thinking of upgrading, go with the 4670K, however if it is a new build I would go with an AMD FX-8350. The reason for this is that the 4670K and 8350 perform nearly identically in an awful lot of games, but if you intend to stream go with the FX-8350 as you will be able to get a higher frame rate whilst streaming and playing, leaning towards a better experience for you without your viewers have to cope with sub par quality.

Sam,

Intel Response Squad member

http://bit.ly/IntelRally

Really? I've seen an awefull lot of intel vs amd threads but never saw this pop up. Does this means more frames whilst recording too?

Really? I've seen an awefull lot of intel vs amd threads but never saw this pop up. Does this means more frames whilst recording too?

I haven't seen any benchmarks of it, but I would guess they are very close. If you're going to be recording I guess you're going to be editing your recordings so an i7 would be more preferable.

2500k or 3570k would be better for overclocking, if you realize haswell isn't really much of a performance gain over ivy / sandy bridge, haswell also run hotter.

But the good thing about haswell are their SATA ports are SATA3 (:

i5 3570k | EVGA GTX 670 FTW | Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz | Crucial M4 128GB | WD 1 TB Black |

I have it... mine is performing amazingly. So, yes... yes it is worth it....

| i7 4790k | H100i | 16GB (8x2) Corsair Vengence | EVGA GTX 780 SC | ASUS Z97 Sabertooth Mark I | Samsung 840 120GB | WD 2TB Green x2 | Rosewill Hive 750W | 

2500k or 3570k would be better for overclocking, if you realize haswell isn't really much of a performance gain over ivy / sandy bridge, haswell also run hotter.

But the good thing about haswell are their SATA ports are SATA3 (:

As I said earlier what is the point of a higher overclock in ghz if it doesn't bring more performance. A 4.4ghz haswel will beat the 4.7 ghz ivy bridge equivalent. It runs hotter in the core, but who cares because it uses less power and produces less heat. Who runs at 4.7 ghz daily with their 3570k anyway. Haswell is still a 10% improvement over ivy.

My 4670k overclocks perfectly fine.   If you get lucky they're great chips, you just need to get lucky.

Most will be able to overclock to at least 4.4, I would say from the people on the forum.  Some people just either aren't doing it right or have awful chips.

Mine will run 4.6Ghz with a Hyper 212 Evo with temps no higher than 90c during stress tests.

and mine needs 1.37V for 4.4GHZ.

I think the 4670k CAN be a better option if you are looking for a well rounded PC my 4670k is running at 4.5 at 1.25 and it performs really good in the benchmarks I've ran

But for this you will have to be very lucky and get a good chip I struck out twice once with a 4770k and another 4670k

| CPU ------ i5 4670k 4.4ghz ------ MOBO ------ MSI Z87 GD65 ------ GPU ------ MSI TF3 7950 OC ------ GPU2 ------ EVGA GTX660 SC ------ RAM ------ G.SKILL Sniper ram 1866 2x4 ------ PSU ------ Corsair AX860 ------ SSD ------ Kingston Hyper X 3K 120GB ------ HDD ------Seagate 1TB ------ CASE ------ Corsair 300r |

As I said earlier what is the point of a higher overclock in ghz if it doesn't bring more performance. A 4.4ghz haswel will beat the 4.7 ghz ivy bridge equivalent. It runs hotter in the core, but who cares because it uses less power and produces less heat. Who runs at 4.7 ghz daily with their 3570k anyway. Haswell is still a 10% improvement over ivy.

I run 4.8Ghz on my 3570K daily.... As ribozyme states there is roughly a 300Mhz gap between all three architectures

2500K @ 4.6Ghz = 3570K @ 4.3Ghz = 4670K @ 4.0Ghz  . This is not the case with all instructions sets - Haswell flys in AVX2, but for games it's pretty close.

For current gaming the intel 4 core K sku's are the best bang for your buck. Their IPC is leagues beyond Piledriver and they don't consume a entire 15amp breaker when  overclocked. I loved my 8320 @ 4.6Ghz, but my 3570K @ 4.8Ghz takes it for a walk - the minimums and gameplay smoothness are vastly different. Never mind when my second 7950 get's here....

5820K - ASUS X99-A - 16GB Corsair LPX - HD 7970 GHz - Qnix 1440p @ 96Hz - Waiting for Polaris/Pascal

and mine needs 1.37V for 4.4GHZ.

Exactly as I said, sometimes you get lucky, and then sometimes you need 1.37v for 4.4Ghz...  

My cpu requires 1.325 volts for a stable 4.6Ghz.   That's a pretty big difference between chips. There are people that require much less than that also.