Modmic vs Blue Yeti

njmyers3
Go to solution Solved by UnlimitedTMD,

ModMic all the way, I hear a lot of people complain about Yeti picking up a lot of background noise

EDIT: noise, not noice lel

I'm wondering which I should buy for gaming and making gaming youtube videos. I don't want it to pick up my keyboard (Cherry MX browns) and I want it to clearly hear my voice with little to no background noise. I plan to use Sennheiser HD 558 Headphones.

My main computer:

i7 6700k || GTX 1070 || Asus Z170 RGB || C.M. Hyper 212 EVO || 16GB RAM || 256GB NVMe SSD || 500GB SATA SSD || 12TB total HDD || Define R5 Blackout || 850W PSU

More Details Below :) 

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k                             GPU:  EVGA GTX 1070 FTW                                  |  Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Aura
CPU Cooler: C.M. Hyper 212 EVO             RAM: 16GB Kingston Fury 4x4 DDR4 2400MHz         SSD:  Intel 256GB NVMe SSD & Plextor 500GB SATA SSD

Hard Drive:  WD 2TB Black, 2TB WD Blue, 8TB WD Red     Case:  Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition   PSU:  Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W

Additional Computer Parts: NZXT Hue for LEDs

Peripherals: Dell U2414H (x2) || Corsair Sabre RGB || Corsair K95 Platinum || Sennheiser 558's || Modmic

Pictures of setup:

ModMic all the way, I hear a lot of people complain about Yeti picking up a lot of background noise

EDIT: noise, not noice lel

to game or not to game, that`s the question

the mod mic is pretty good if youre using a good soundcard. i have both and for voice chat the mod mic is for sure better because the yeti just picks everything up unless youre filtering it tru adobe audition which a) costs extra money and b ) does not filter everything perfect. depending on your needs id say

and with everything i mean everything. like soft tapping your feet on the ground sounds like a damn bass drop on the yeti ._.

on the mod mic i can talk and smash my keyboard pretty hard but it doesnt pick it up, sound quality wise its the same (again, if youre using a good soundcard) im using a sound blaster zxr but a cheaper card like the sound blaster z will do just as fine. and you propably get a good card + modmic for the same price as the yeti.

IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY TO YOU, QUOTE MY POST.

Fire Strike Score

5820K @ 4.8GHZ - 1.25v / Uncore @ 4.5GHZ - 1.2v / 3000MHZ G.skill 32GB Quad Channel / Asus Rampage V Extreme / 950 Pro Nvme / Sound Blaster ZxR  / 980 TI / Windows 7

The blue yeti will give you miles better sound quality. As far as keeping out the noise of your mechanical keyboard, neither will do a good job. Any microphone that you have ~3-4 feet away form your mechanical keyboard will still pick it up.

"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party."

-Ron White

yeti = better sound + tons of background noise

modmic = not as good sound, but still good, nearly 0 background noise, but needs to be boosted quite a lot so you need a good sound card with a high SnR input

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

modmic = not as good sound, but still good, nearly 0 background noise, but needs to be boosted quite a lot so you need a good sound card with a high SnR input

Could I use a DAC instead of a sound card? Would a DAC around $50USD be fine?

My main computer:

i7 6700k || GTX 1070 || Asus Z170 RGB || C.M. Hyper 212 EVO || 16GB RAM || 256GB NVMe SSD || 500GB SATA SSD || 12TB total HDD || Define R5 Blackout || 850W PSU

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k                             GPU:  EVGA GTX 1070 FTW                                  |  Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Aura
CPU Cooler: C.M. Hyper 212 EVO             RAM: 16GB Kingston Fury 4x4 DDR4 2400MHz         SSD:  Intel 256GB NVMe SSD & Plextor 500GB SATA SSD

Hard Drive:  WD 2TB Black, 2TB WD Blue, 8TB WD Red     Case:  Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition   PSU:  Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W

Peripherals: Dell U2414H (x2) || Corsair Sabre RGB || Corsair K95 Platinum || Sennheiser 558's || Modmic

Pictures of setup:

Could I use a DAC instead of a sound card? Would a DAC around $50USD be fine?

thats pretty much the same thing, just not in a PCIe slot

as long as it has a mic input and high SNR it will work

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

thats pretty much the same thing, just not in a PCIe slot

as long as it has a mic input and high SNR it will work

Could you recommend one? Sorry, I'm not very knowledgeable of sound stuff. $50USD budget.

My main computer:

Spoiler

Pictures of setup:

^ Ditto.

From what I've seen from others, it usually comes down to preference between having a mic stuck to your face or one around the desk similar to the argument of headphones vs. speakers. 

I had a Modmic 4.0 but preferred to use my Snowball on a scissor arm instead.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

^ Ditto.

From what I've seen from others, it usually comes down to preference between having a mic stuck to your face or one around the desk similar to the argument of headphones vs. speakers. 

I had a Modmic 4.0 but preferred to use my Snowball on a scissor arm instead.

I don't really care if it's a desk mic or on my headphones, I just want decent quality with minimal background noise.

My main computer:

Spoiler

Pictures of setup:

Why not get an AT2020 USB+? Picks up less noise than the Yeti in cardoid mode and is far superior to the mod mic. The mod mic is good and all, but beyond basic voip use, I would never use it for anything else as the quality is quite poor if wanting to use for recording videos/voiceovers. A sound card will not change it's sound quality btw.

MSI Z97M Gaming | i7-4790k | NZXT Kraken X61 | 16GB Kingston Savage DDR3 2400
EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3 | EVGA G2 750 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | 1TB 850 Evo | 2TB 860 Evo | 22TB DS918+

Scarlett 2i2 | WooAudio WA7 Fireflies | Fostex TR-X00 | Beyer DT990 | MrSpeaker Alpha Dog | V-Moda M-100 | JBL LSR305 MK2

Why not get an AT2020 USB+? Picks up less noise than the Yeti in cardoid mode and is far superior to the mod mic. The mod mic is good and all, but beyond basic voip use, I would never use it for anything else as the quality is quite poor if wanting to use for recording videos/voiceovers. A sound card will not change it's sound quality btw.

It picks up less noise than the Yeti but has the same issue nonetheless. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I say get an AT2020, I hear the Blue Yeti isn't too reliable, and I can with first hand experience the Mod Mic is trash, lasted me about a month.