Writing noise from CPU?

Shizune
Go to solution Solved by Godlygamer23,

But as you say, now that I think about it (not that I hear electrical noise all the time) but it could be that I guess, since I have my CPU on automatic voltage use, it jumps all over the place during load and idle. But you dont think that it might be hurting my computer right? @Godlygamer23

Voltage jumping in regards to any electronic will not do anything harmful. It's supposed to happen, and occurs a lot on laptops. It's totally fine.

So for some time now there has been some kind of writing noise coming from my computer, the only thing I know that can or will do that are mechanical hard drives.

So I tried unplugging my HDD (I have OS on my SSD which I have never heard could make any noise) but it still makes the writing sound. So this got me wondering if maybe there might be something ells that can do similar sounds? It does seem to happen when I browse websites or use above 20% of my CPU but not while I idle at about 1-5%. It also happens when I close/reload a tab in my web browsers.

Basically just scrolling thrue websites will make these noises and I just cant figure out what it is, maybe its my GPU?

Im on Windows 10 with a GTX 670 GPU i7 2600k CPU and an 850W crosair PSU if any of this helps!

Any tips or help will be much appriciated!

Much more likely a fan. But coulnd't say for sure.

My Build: Night Fury | i5-6600k @ 4.5Ghz | R9 390 | 850 EVO 250GB | 1TB Seagate | H230 Black

Night Theme User

Hello Fellow Night Theme User | Why Aren't You Using Night Theme?

Mcfloxxx: I do have an optical drive but there's nothing in it. 

Charcoal_: There are no cables or anything like that in my fans so I doubt it is that. the sound is basically that of a CD/HDD writing/reading.

But since I have tried without my HDD and it still made those noises I cant figure it out ^^

What do you mean by "writing sounds"?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Godlygamer23: The sound a harddrive makes when it writes data to the disc, but since I've tried without mine and it still makes the sound it cant be that unless my SSD can make the same kinds of sounds :/

from what i can make of it its just regular old coil whine. but not the "electronics screaming in pain" way of what the word is usually used for, think of the slight buzzing in older power bricks, but at a higher frequency.

Godlygamer23: The sound a harddrive makes when it writes data to the disc, but since I've tried without mine and it still makes the sound it cant be that unless my SSD can make the same kinds of sounds :/

Make sure to tag people using the "@" symbol like below:

@<member name>

On topic, can you record the sound? I doubt it's "writing sounds" as CPUs have no moving parts. What you might be hearing is electrical noise emanating from the CPU or other component.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

So for some time now there has been some kind of writing noise coming from my computer, the only thing I know that can or will do that are mechanical hard drives.

-snippy snippets-

Any tips or help will be much appriciated!

Coil whine maybe? Possible culprit it the PSU - try turning it on by jumping pins and see if you get the noise.

But as you say, now that I think about it (not that I hear electrical noise all the time) but it could be that I guess, since I have my CPU on automatic voltage use, it jumps all over the place during load and idle. But you dont think that it might be hurting my computer right? @Godlygamer23

Mcfloxxx: I do have an optical drive but there's nothing in it. 

Charcoal_: There are no cables or anything like that in my fans so I doubt it is that. the sound is basically that of a CD/HDD writing/reading.

But since I have tried without my HDD and it still made those noises I cant figure it out ^^

Probably your PSU or GPU, is it coil whine you're describing ?

Voltage jumping in regards to any electronic will not do anything harmful. It's supposed to happen, and occurs a lot on laptops. It's totally fine.

Probably your PSU or GPU, is it coil whine you're describing ?

It is not coil whine, just checked linus's video on it and it is definetly not that. I can only describe it is abit quiter then a hdd writing, but aslong as its not hurting my rig I suppose I'll have to suck it up ^^

It is not coil whine, just checked linus's video on it and it is definetly not that. I can only describe it is abit quiter then a hdd writing, but aslong as its not hurting my rig I suppose I'll have to suck it up ^^

Usually computer noises are not good and relate to a larger problem. I would try unplugging cd drive and see if that does it, then try unplugging fans 1 by 1 and see if that is it, and lastly jumpstart your psu and see if that makes the noise

Usually computer noises are not good and relate to a larger problem. I would try unplugging cd drive and see if that does it, then try unplugging fans 1 by 1 and see if that is it, and lastly jumpstart your psu and see if that makes the noise

I second this method. I think it's the fans. Also, how can it be the sound of an HDD writing if that's barely audible, even when right next to it. The ODD is the only one loud enough for that.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | ASUS X570 Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 HYBRID | 32GB DDR4-3600

It might be the audio out which catches interference from components in your PC, try turning off all speakers, unplugging all headsets.