Headphones help

progamer94
Go to solution Solved by progamer94,

thanks guys for all your feedback, even if we went off the original question, but some good info none the less. :D

I know your business is around amps/dacs but please try to not be as biased.

Comparing an iphone to a soundcard as an example is terrible. I really doubt theres a difference between a 150 euro soundcard and a 150 euro amp/dac. If someone is willing to spend more than that the obvious choice is a dedicated amp and dac, but saying that soundcards are poorly made and that they cant drive 600ohm cans is plain wrong.

My STX with DT770 pro 250ohm can go so loud to where it hurts with no distortion ( if its a FLAC file ).

Im sure an external solution at that that price is great as well but it comes down to what the user wants, if he wants to be able to have different effects via the drivers for a soundcard, not wanting something more on their desk or if they want something which is mobile and can be used on a desktop or a laptop ( which usually have terrible sound ).

and thank you for giving an actual scenario that helps

As ShearMe has said, i've seen reviews on Head-fi that say the 600 ohm Beyers sound slightly better but i'm just not really sure you are going to notice the difference with an STX, given that as you have stated it will drive headphones up to 600 ohm so you are right up at the top end. The STX is going to be struggling at that point so for $42 or more if you went with the pro version, i would stick to the 250 and save the money for something else.

Headset

Have this argument on some other thread - OP already has an STX so there's no point in this. 

As ShearMe has said, i've seen reviews on Head-fi that say the 600 ohm Beyers sound slightly better but i'm just not really sure you are going to notice the difference with an STX, given that as you have stated it will drive headphones up to 600 ohm so you are right up at the top end. The STX is going to be struggling at that point so for $42 or more if you went with the pro version, i would stick to the 250 and save the money for something else.

I didn't mean I thought the STX was inadequate for the 600 ohm version. I mean I think Head-Fi is being Head-Fi and exaggerating the differences again. 

600ohm would be good for otl tube amps, or powerful headphone amps, not much else.

I'd say if you're planning on using the phones with anything else, get the 250ohm

being able to drive xxxohm is the most useless spec in computers right next to a monitors contrast ratio.

a AA battery can "drive" 600ohm too

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

Just got home and my 250 ohm DT 990's were waiting for me on the porch. Been on my head 5 minutes and I think they might be my mainstay from now on if the treble calms down after burn in.

Have this argument on some other thread - OP already has an STX so there's no point in this. 

I didn't mean I thought the STX was inadequate for the 600 ohm version. I mean I think Head-Fi is being Head-Fi and exaggerating the differences again. 

What argument? I'm not saying get another amp or dac, far from it. I'm saying the STX should work pretty well with the 250 ohm version.

Headset

What argument? I'm not saying get another amp or dac, far from it. I'm saying the STX should work pretty well with the 250 ohm version.

Oh, you're not the one arguing. That was directed at certain other people.

I don't know, There once was a time when higher impedances equaled better sound, certainly clearer/better detailed sound.  That has changed over time with better manufacturing processes, higher tolerance drivers and better amps.  Part of me still thinks you should be able to hear a difference simply because one of the main electrical characteristics that determins a drivers function is over double.  Whether that translates to an audiable change is open to debate and I am weary that people may hear what they think they should hear and give advice based on that.  

If I were spending the money I would get the 250ohm because:

1. If your pc packs it in (surge, lightning, virus) you won't have to find a new card/amp that can drive the 600's and

2. you'll be better able to use the 250's on other protable devices.  For example I have 32ohm Senn earbuds. My wife borrowed them so she could watch movies on her nexus 7 on a plane. It turned out she could not hear properly with all the background noise because the nexus could't drive 32 ohm earbuds well enough.  She borrowed her sisters Ipod buds (16ohm) and of course they were ample loud enough.  (she now thinks senns are crap and apple is god like :o :angry: )

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

thanks guys for all your feedback, even if we went off the original question, but some good info none the less. :D