Headphones help

progamer94
Go to solution Solved by progamer94,

thanks guys for all your feedback, even if we went off the original question, but some good info none the less. :D

Hi guys, im looking at getting either the Sennheiser HD 449 or the beyerdynamic custom one pro headphones and was just wondering if any of you guys have these and if so what are the inner dimensions of the earcups for both of them, thanks in advance.

They are two completely different price points 

| 3570k @ 4.4.ghz | Hyper 212 evo | 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte Z77X UD3H | Corsair CX750M | Corsair 300R | OCZ 240GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD | Asus DCUII 7950 @1150mhz core 1600mhz mem

| BenQ XL2411T | Corsair Vengeance K60 | Logitech G700 | steelseries Qck+ | Fiio E10 | Zalman clip on mic | HD 598 | ATH-M50 |

That doesn't change the fact that they're both good products, or that it's a good idea to know whether the headphones will fit you before buying them.

as you should know by reading my original post, it has nothing to do with the price.

as you should know by reading my original post, it has nothing to do with the price.

I just found it strange that you are choosing between two headphones that are so different in price

| 3570k @ 4.4.ghz | Hyper 212 evo | 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte Z77X UD3H | Corsair CX750M | Corsair 300R | OCZ 240GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD | Asus DCUII 7950 @1150mhz core 1600mhz mem

| BenQ XL2411T | Corsair Vengeance K60 | Logitech G700 | steelseries Qck+ | Fiio E10 | Zalman clip on mic | HD 598 | ATH-M50 |

I just found it strange that you are choosing between two headphones that are so different in price

He never said he was choosing between these headphones - he asked a straight forward question, requesting a specific answer. If you don't know the dimmensions he's asking for, don't reply. Stop trying to read between the lines when there's one sentence.

I think he's actually most worried about the size of the earcups.  Biggest ones I have are my AKG K702s. The Beyerdynamic cups are a good size, but my ears touch the sides.  My HE-500s are a bit bigger than that.

Hope that helps.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

I think he's actually most worried about the size of the earcups.  Biggest ones I have are my AKG K702s. The Beyerdynamic cups are a good size, but my ears touch the sides.  My HE-500s are a bit bigger than that.

Hope that helps.

I currently have a ss 7h which is broken do you know if the beyerdynamic earcups (if your talking about the custom one pro's that is) are bigger then the 7h's ?

I also checked out the HE-500s but there a bit out of my budget :P

I currently have a ss 7h which is broken do you know if the beyerdynamic earcups (if your talking about the custom one pro's that is) are bigger then the 7h's ?

I also checked out the HE-500s but there a bit out of my budget :P

There's the HE-300 and 400 that can be somewhat cheaper.  My point is they all use the same big cups.  Of course I didn't even write that part out.

I've never used a 7h, but I have seen one in a box.  I haven't seen the Custom One Pro (yet), but I'd imagine it's about the same.  I think the DT series is somewhat bigger.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Ok change of course, whats everyone think of the beyerdynamic dt 880 premium 600 ohm headphones? for $298?

Ok change of course, whats everyone think of the beyerdynamic dt 880 premium 600 ohm headphones? for $298?

Presumably you have a serious amp to power them?

Headset

Save your money and get the 250 ohm, and a strong headphone amp.

The objective2 will have enough power to drive the unit, skip sound cards.

Not sure it's really worth the extra $42 for the 600 Ohm with an STX, what is drawing you to it? I would suggest going for the 250, either the pro or the premium.

Headset

Save your money and get the 250 ohm, and a strong headphone amp.

The objective2 will have enough power to drive the unit, skip sound cards.

as I said I already have a xonar stx soundcard/amp which can power up to 600 ohm headphones, so powering the headphones is not an issue.

Not sure it's really worth the extra $42 for the 600 Ohm with an STX, what is drawing you to it? I would suggest going for the 250, either the pro or the premium.

from what I've read in reviews and such the sound seems to be better with the 600s rather then the 250.

from what I've read in reviews and such the sound seems to be better with the 600s rather then the 250.

You won't really notice a difference, but your wallet will. Just get the 250 ohm version. Also, just because the sound card can power it, doesn't mean it will sound good. Since you already spent your money I guess there's no point in getting a dedicated headphone amp.

You won't really notice a difference, but your wallet will. Just get the 250 ohm version. Also, just because the sound card can power it, doesn't mean it will sound good. Since you already spent your money I guess there's no point in getting a dedicated headphone amp.

do you have proof that a 600 ohm headphone sounds bad running on a stx ?

do you have proof that a 600 ohm headphone sounds bad running on a stx ?

First off, I never said it will sound bad at all. I just said it won't sound as good as a dedicated headphone amp and/or DAC. Sound cards are poorly designed, and even though they "say" it can drive 600 ohm headphones, doesn't meant it will get loud enough or sound good. My iPhone can drive 600 ohm headphones, but that doesn't mean it will get loud enough or sound good at all.

First off, I never said it will sound bad at all. I just said it won't sound as good as a dedicated headphone amp and/or DAC. Sound cards are poorly designed, and even though they "say" it can drive 600 ohm headphones, doesn't meant it will get loud enough or sound good. My iPhone can drive 600 ohm headphones, but that doesn't mean it will get loud enough or sound good at all.

I would not say xonar cards are poorly designed

Anyways, Head-Fi seems to think the 600 ohm version sounds better, but I myself am skeptical that they sound very different at all.

I know your business is around amps/dacs but please try to not be as biased.

Comparing an iphone to a soundcard as an example is terrible. I really doubt theres a difference between a 150 euro soundcard and a 150 euro amp/dac. If someone is willing to spend more than that the obvious choice is a dedicated amp and dac, but saying that soundcards are poorly made and that they cant drive 600ohm cans is plain wrong.

My STX with DT770 pro 250ohm can go so loud to where it hurts with no distortion ( if its a FLAC file ).

Im sure an external solution at that that price is great as well but it comes down to what the user wants, if he wants to be able to have different effects via the drivers for a soundcard, not wanting something more on their desk or if they want something which is mobile and can be used on a desktop or a laptop ( which usually have terrible sound ).

EDIT: Also for an external dac/amp if they want something sexy on their desk, cause most dacs/amps look pretty good, specially if its a tube amp

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

I know your business is around amps/dacs but please try to not be as biased.

Comparing an iphone to a soundcard as an example is terrible. I really doubt theres a difference between a 150 euro soundcard and a 150 euro amp/dac. If someone is willing to spend more than that the obvious choice is a dedicated amp and dac, but saying that soundcards are poorly made and that they cant drive 600ohm cans is plain wrong.

My STX with DT770 pro 250ohm can go so loud to where it hurts with no distortion ( if its a FLAC file ).

Im sure an external solution at that that price is great as well but it comes down to what the user wants, if he wants to be able to have different effects via the drivers for a soundcard, not wanting something more on their desk or if they want something which is mobile and can be used on a desktop or a laptop ( which usually have terrible sound ).

I'm not biased at all. If there was a sound card that was good, I would recommend it if someone was stuck on getting something to put on their motherboard, which is a bad form factor from the beginning. There are other things other than the actual design of the sound card (drivers) that also add problems, actually drivers add lots of problems.

Actually, iPhone's have very good DAC's in them so no, it's not a terrible example. I come from an electrical background, I know what makes a good design, and what doesn't, and most sound cards don't have good designs. Anything marketed towards "gaming grade audio" is generally not good.

edit: In-fact, there is a sound card that is somewhat OK and I recomend to people who, again, are stuck putting something on their motherboard. It's the XONAR DG. It has an amplifier on it, and can be found for nearly $20. Anything above that price point, is a total waste.

I'm not biased at all. If there was a sound card that was good, I would recommend it if someone was stuck on getting something to put on their motherboard, which is a bad form factor from the beginning. There are other things other than the actual design of the sound card (drivers) that also add problems, actually drivers add lots of problems.

Actually, iPhone's have very good DAC's in them so no, it's not a terrible example. I come from an electrical background, I know what makes a good design, and what doesn't, and most sound cards don't have good designs. Anything marketed towards "gaming grade audio" is generally not good.

edit: In-fact, there is a sound card that is somewhat OK and I recomend to people who, again, are stuck putting something on their motherboard. It's the XONAR DG. It has an amplifier on it, and can be found for nearly $20. Anything above that price point, is a total waste.

since your obviously not adding anything else to the topic, you may go now.