Computer isn't registering ethernet connection, defaults to WiFi

My computer is connecting to my modem over a WiFi connection, rather than a wired connection. I have a Cat 6 Ethernet cable leading from my my computer into the modem. The line itself is about 30 metres, give or take. Is there a setting in my network options I have to check in order for my computer to use the cable instead of WiFi? The reason I'd prefer to use the Ethernet connection is because my area has a lot of WiFi signals, so there's more interference and congestion than I'd like.

Couldn't you simply disable wifi?  Why are you even using it if there is also a cable?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter settings > Disable WiFi adapter until you need it again.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter settings > Disable WiFi adapter until you need it again.

When i disable WiFi it doesn't register the cable at all. I can't connect to the internet whatsoever

When i disable WiFi it doesn't register the cable at all. I can't connect to the internet whatsoever

Make sure you have the driver for the network card installed.  Check the mobo manufacturer's website.

Just so we've covered off the really basic stuff too, make sure the lights on the port are on or it probably just isn't physically connected properly, and try a reboot just to be safe :)  I know that sounds stupid but I've legitimately seen that fix this kind of thing before.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Is there another adapter showing up in that menu than your WiFi?

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

Drivers, make sure you have downloaded the latest drivers for your LAN hub.

Spoiler

CPU: i7-6700K 4.7GHz GPU: GTX 980 STRIX 1337MHz CPU Cooler: H110i GTX AIO |

Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR | Case: NZXT H440 White PSU: CS750W |

PCPartPicker Link: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/43BkVn 

It may look something like this:

post-265114-0-85295200-1452929534.png

It may look something like this:

Puts my adapters list to shame.

8d4938a24a.png

Spoiler

Just so we've covered off the really basic stuff too, make sure the lights on the port are on or it probably just isn't physically connected properly, and try a reboot just to be safe :)  I know that sounds stupid but I've legitimately seen that fix this kind of thing before.

I'll give it a shot

The only other thing besides the WiFi is my Hamachi network

well that's progress at least.  We can't expect anything to start working until you have an ethernet adapter showing up

I'm downloading an MSI utility thing called "MSI Gaming LAN Manager". Hopefully it will do something

Did you install the driver for your ethernet? Find out who makes it, go to the site and download it, or go to the maker of your laptop and see if they have a drivers page for your product.

Spoiler

Did you install the driver for your ethernet? Find out who makes it, go to the site and download it, or go to the maker of your laptop and see if they have a drivers page for your product.

It's an Intel ethernet port mounted onto an MSI Z170A Titanium edition mobo; desktop PC, not a laptop. The drivers should all be downloaded through MSI Live update, but it still buggers up. I'll try get it directly from Intel's site.

It's an Intel ethernet port mounted onto an MSI Z170A Titanium edition mobo; desktop PC, not a laptop. The drivers should all be downloaded through MSI Live update, but it still buggers up. I'll try get it directly from Intel's site.

Yep, had a feeling you had a desktop while I was typing that out on my phone.

Spoiler

Did you get it working in the end?